My JUMBO Italian Celadon Project

The large egg racks came today (for a brinsea Ovation 28)! I am a bit disappointed so far though. I cant fit two rows of eggs. I haven't tried with many eggs but I tried to put one in and it cracked. I had to really try and force it in. The eggs were just to big so they pushed the divider and made the other row to small. Im gonna try with some other non-incubating eggs, maybe I just made a mistake with the one. Otherwise all the eggs and chicks are doing well. Definitely one Manchurian. One of what I thought was a Wild is something else. Excited to see what those will be. But the celadon eggs are looking pretty good! Day 14 is this Thursday. Weird question: ive been locking down ON day 14 forever. But it just occurred to me that some people put them into lockdown on day 15 and 14 is like the end of pre lockdown. What day do y'all actually remove the turner and up the humidity. I cant imagine it makes a huge different. I usually have good hatch rates so im not too worried 🤣

The large egg racks came today (for a brinsea Ovation 28)! I am a bit disappointed so far though. I cant fit two rows of eggs. I haven't tried with many eggs but I tried to put one in and it cracked. I had to really try and force it in. The eggs were just to big so they pushed the divider and made the other row to small. Im gonna try with some other non-incubating eggs, maybe I just made a mistake with the one. Otherwise all the eggs and chicks are doing well. Definitely one Manchurian. One of what I thought was a Wild is something else. Excited to see what those will be. But the celadon eggs are looking pretty good! Day 14 is this Thursday. Weird question: ive been locking down ON day 14 forever. But it just occurred to me that some people put them into lockdown on day 15 and 14 is like the end of pre lockdown. What day do y'all actually remove the turner and up the humidity. I cant imagine it makes a huge different. I usually have good hatch rates so im not too worried 🤣
I always lockdown on day 15 but pretty sure day 14 is okay too 😁

My side rolling turners I lock down on day 13, the brinsea I lock down on 14 or 15. It doesn’t seem to make much difference in the brinsea, the side rollers definitely pip more often in the wrong place, the longer I wait to lock down.

If you look in the booklet, it has photos of the pheasant egg setup, which is 2 rows without the divider and they are just lined up in there. I use that for my larger eggs, and I’ll use the divider with smaller eggs. With the divider, one side is always slightly smaller, put them in starting on one side and put them in both channels as you go, don’t fill one side then the other. As you go, put fatter ones on one side and thinner ones on the other. I often have some really big ones and double yolkers and I’ll put one normal tray in with those.

My side rolling turners I lock down on day 13, the brinsea I lock down on 14 or 15. It doesn’t seem to make much difference in the brinsea, the side rollers definitely pip more often in the wrong place, the longer I wait to lock down.

If you look in the booklet, it has photos of the pheasant egg setup, which is 2 rows without the divider and they are just lined up in there. I use that for my larger eggs, and I’ll use the divider with smaller eggs. With the divider, one side is always slightly smaller, put them in starting on one side and put them in both channels as you go, don’t fill one side then the other. As you go, put fatter ones on one side and thinner ones on the other. I often have some really big ones and double yolkers and I’ll put one normal tray in with those.
Thank you! That is good to know. I see that pheasant egg one now. Looks like that will work better. I didn't think about the side roller thing! Like I mentioned earlier I had one pip on the small end of the egg. And a few like right down the middle. I will go try that egg setup.

Thank you! That is good to know. I see that pheasant egg one now. Looks like that will work better. I didn't think about the side roller thing! Like I mentioned earlier I had one pip on the small end of the egg. And a few like right down the middle. I will go try that egg setup.
The pheasant setup is a bit tricky, I get my kids to help, more tiny hands hold the eggs in place as I fill the trays haha.

also I’ve seen pics of people cutting a thin plastic strip, like from those plastic versions of Manila folders and using that in the middle instead of the thick divider it comes with.

Back
Top Bottom