My PVC "True Auto" Waterer

I love homeade stuff like this, the store bought ones are just insanely expensive if you have dozens of coops like we do.

We built this ... almost exactly. However when we turn the water on ... the pressure sends water spurting out. Husband wants to drill a hole in the top but no one else mentioned that. Did we do something wrong? :(

We built this ... almost exactly.  However when we turn the water on ... the pressure sends water spurting out.  Husband wants to drill a hole in the top but no one else mentioned that.  Did we do something wrong? :(

Hi there this may have been looked at, but make sure nothing is holding the filler float open. If it's touching the walls it won't slide all the way up and close the valve completely. I didn't need to drill a hole in the top for it to function and I didn't want a way for debris or bugs to get inside.

My husband and I took the plunge this spring and got three EE pullets from the local feed store. We have used a very simple waterer in the brooder, but want something of more "substance" for the coop/run. Since neither of us are that great with building something from scratch we are going to go with a waterer that has all the part and at least rudimentary directions. Here's a link to what I've come up with. What do you think? Thanks!

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...icken-Fountain-Mini-For-2-12-birds-p1244.aspx

My husband and I took the plunge this spring and got three EE pullets from the local feed store. We have used a very simple waterer in the brooder, but want something of more "substance" for the coop/run. Since neither of us are that great with building something from scratch we are going to go with a waterer that has all the part and at least rudimentary directions. Here's a link to what I've come up with. What do you think? Thanks!

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...icken-Fountain-Mini-For-2-12-birds-p1244.aspx

I think that looks like a great system, very well thought out.

did you ever figure out why the water was spurting out?

No :( Still doing it. We took it down and apart again yesterday. There is just sooooo much pressure. When we tried again yesterday the hose blew off. Not sure what's going on. I really want to get it figured out though ... with this hot weather I stress them running out while I'm at work!!

I'm sure you tried to turn the water pressure down already.
Hmmm, have you tried lowering the reservoir down? Closer down by the PVC pipe with nipple waterers?
I know some nipple waterers will leak if the water supply is too high above them; it generates too much pressure.

Back
Top Bottom