My rooster is not well

I'll clean his eyes daily & I don't want them to be closed I'm scared, I lost hope in the morning because he didn't stand properly his eyes were sticking together so I was crying & all.

Did you clean out his eyes? If his comb flops over an eye, it will foam up and get bacteria in it. I have one older hen who tore the back of her comb a few years ago and it has flopped over one eye ever since, inputting bacteria constantly and irritating it. I've done antibiotics, both injectibles and eye ointments and it was just chronic. So, now that eye is closed, probably permanently. The only thing I could possibly have done is actually cut off that part of her comb that was causing it. She is quite old, 8 years old, but she seems to see okay out of the other eye.

My point is that you must be cleaning out that junk in his eyes. If you have to give the antibiotic, that's fine, but the eyes must be cleaned out.

Did you clean out his eyes? If his comb flops over an eye, it will foam up and get bacteria in it. I have one older hen who tore the back of her comb a few years ago and it has flopped over one eye ever since, inputting bacteria constantly and irritating it. I've done antibiotics, both injectibles and eye ointments and it was just chronic. So, now that eye is closed, probably permanently. The only thing I could possibly have done is actually cut off that part of her comb that was causing it. She is quite old, 8 years old, but she seems to see okay out of the other eye.

My point is that you must be cleaning out that junk in his eyes. If you have to give the antibiotic, that's fine, but the eyes must be cleaned out.

8 years old, that's amazing & I can see how much hard you've done there. Can I see a picture of your hen? I'm so glad that she's fine with one eye.
tho my baby's comb is very big & it's also very fat, and you can tell just by looking at him that he's in so pain I'm sure he have headache all the time & he cannot look up, so I don't think cutting it would be a good idea? also his that eye is closed not fully, but he can still see a little from it, i cleaned it today but I've nothing to use on his eyes, can you tell me what should i use for his eye? & please also tell me that the picture I sent you of the antibiotic that I'm giving him, can I continue giving it to him? i mean I'm not sure if it's the right one? Can you please tell me? & I'm scared because I think he's lazy because of the antibiotic

Do you have a pet supply or feed store where you live?
What other antibiotics are available to you?
You mentioned in an earlier post when you were treating him with cephalexin can you get any of that?
Also can you post a whole photo of him, what he looks like now, what the eyes look like?
Did the bumblefoot ever heal up - no problems with that?
I also think I saw that you mentioned the discharge from his eyes has bubbles?

I can't find any information on whether the antibiotic that you have (Streptomycin) will work or not. Someone else may know, but looking through my notes and information I can't find a reference with it being used on a chicken.

If you can find some Tetracycline or Tylosin that may be helpful.

Continue to clean out the eye 2x a day and see if he will drink water for you. If you can give him some extra protein to eat like egg, meat or fish that may help some too.

8 years old, that's amazing & I can see how much hard you've done there. Can I see a picture of your hen? I'm so glad that she's fine with one eye.
tho my baby's comb is very big & it's also very fat, and you can tell just by looking at him that he's in so pain I'm sure he have headache all the time & he cannot look up, so I don't think cutting it would be a good idea? also his that eye is closed not fully, but he can still see a little from it, i cleaned it today but I've nothing to use on his eyes, can you tell me what should i use for his eye? & please also tell me that the picture I sent you of the antibiotic that I'm giving him, can I continue giving it to him? i mean I'm not sure if it's the right one? Can you please tell me? & I'm scared because I think he's lazy because of the antibiotic

Most of the time, those types of antibiotics are not meant to be used for more than a week or so. Like I said, I don't think we use streptomycin on chickens here in the U.S. though I could be wrong. I've used lincomycin, which I guess is similar, though. If you think he needs more, don't give it more than a week, wait a couple of weeks before you do it again, but if you have any eye drops at all, like artificial tears or Visine, that would help with the cleaning of his eyes, using a warm, wet cloth and being very gentle. I do wish you had access to the terramycin antibiotic eye ointment, but I have no idea what you'd have in Pakistan.

This is my Blue Orpington hen, Dusty. She tore the back of her comb on a fence and I tried to get it reattached, but it was just too heavy. She can see very well with her right eye, enough to pick out the corn from the scratch grains mix.

Last edited:
Y
Do you have a pet supply or feed store where you live?
What other antibiotics are available to you?
You mentioned in an earlier post when you were treating him with cephalexin can you get any of that?
Also can you post a whole photo of him, what he looks like now, what the eyes look like?
Did the bumblefoot ever heal up - no problems with that?
I also think I saw that you mentioned the discharge from his eyes has bubbles?

I can't find any information on whether  the antibiotic that you have (Streptomycin)  will work or not. Someone else may know, but looking through my notes and information I can't find a reference with it being used on a chicken.

If you can find some Tetracycline or Tylosin that may be helpful.

Continue to clean out the eye 2x a day and see if he will drink water for you. If you can give him some extra protein to eat like egg, meat or fish that may help some too.

I don't think I'll get any of these antibiotic that you mentioned, and I'm so worried. & yes I used cephalexin before that vet gave that to me when he had bumble foot, can I use it? & im not sure if his feet are fine anymore, I'm 18 I'm so weak already & he's the most sensitive thing for me & now seeing him in pain is making me so sad
& okay I'll give him egg & meat.
& I'll show you his pics, & his eyes pictures i already posted it can you see it?

Kksy
Most of the time, those types of antibiotics are not meant to be used for more than a week or so. Like I said, I don't think we use streptomycin on chickens here in the U.S. though I could be wrong. I've used lincomycin, which I guess is similar, though. If you think he needs more, don't give it more than a week, wait a couple of weeks before you do it again, but if you have any eye drops at all, like artificial tears or Visine, that would help with the cleaning of his eyes, using a warm, wet cloth and being very gentle. I do wish you had access to the terramycin antibiotic eye ointment, but I have no idea what you'd have in Pakistan. This is my Blue Orpington hen, Dusty. She tore the back of her comb on a fence and I tried to get it reattached, but it was just too heavy. She can see very well with her right eye, enough to pick out the corn from the scratch grains mix.
I'm not sure too if it's the right kind of antibiotic i totally depend on you people, since you know better then me, please it's my one & only rooster & I don't want to lose him. can I use the rose water eyedrops? Or curine? there's no vet for chickens here so my only hope is this site & like you three peoples. & awww, but I'm glad she's still healthy & good :* God bless her she's beautiful

Back
Top Bottom