My rooster is not well

Do you have a pet supply or feed store where you live?
What other antibiotics are available to you?
You mentioned in an earlier post when you were treating him with cephalexin can you get any of that?
Also can you post a whole photo of him, what he looks like now, what the eyes look like?
Did the bumblefoot ever heal up - no problems with that?
I also think I saw that you mentioned the discharge from his eyes has bubbles?

I can't find any information on whether  the antibiotic that you have (Streptomycin)  will work or not. Someone else may know, but looking through my notes and information I can't find a reference with it being used on a chicken.

If you can find some Tetracycline or Tylosin that may be helpful.

Continue to clean out the eye 2x a day and see if he will drink water for you. If you can give him some extra protein to eat like egg, meat or fish that may help some too.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/streptomycin-oral-solution.html

Can you please read it?

Thank you for the compliment on Dusty. She has been here since she hatched from the egg, shipped from the other side of the U.S.

Yes, I can read that. It sounds like it's fine to use on him, though it's really not for eye infections, according to what I'm reading. Based on this part below, though this is for an oral, by mouth, solution, not injectible, it take 1/2 teaspoon in a one-gallon waterer for the lower dosage, changed every day for a fresh batch.

But it says it's for infectious enteritis, which is intestinal, so not sure how much good it will do for the eyes or other respiratory illnesses. Again, I have no idea what the actual dosage is for the injectible. They are usually not interchangeable, with some exceptions.

Chickens

ACTION​

Non-specific Infectious Enteritis in Chickens

Treatment of non-specific infectious enteritis caused by organisms susceptible to streptomycin sulfate.

(Based on a 2 lb. Chicken)
1 tsp./2 gal. of drinking water = 10 mg streptomycin per pound of body weight.
1 1/2 tsp./2 gal. of drinking water = 15 mg streptomycin per pound of body weight.​
I'm just not familiar with this particular antibiotic, but since it ends in "mycin", it must be related to lincomycin somehow. That dosage for the lincomycin, given to me by a vet tech, is 1/10 cc. , a very tiny amount. It also says "If favorable results are not obtained in 3 to 5 days, diagnosis should be re-determined" so to me, that means do not give more than 5 days consecutively.

Last edited:
What do you think bout THERAGRAN-M?

I have no idea what that is. And I'm not sure what curine is, either, unless it's like Visine.

I don't know what rosewater drops would do. You must be careful using any remedies on a chicken because things that are okay for other animals are sometimes fatal to birds, like the pain killer benzocaine.

Thank you for the compliment on Dusty. She has been here since she hatched from the egg, shipped from the other side of the U.S. Yes, I can read that. It sounds like it's fine to use on him, though it's really not for eye infections, according to what I'm reading. Based on this part below, though this is for an oral, by mouth, solution, not injectible, it take 1/2 teaspoon in a one-gallon waterer for the lower dosage, changed every day for a fresh batch. But it says it's for infectious enteritis, which is intestinal, so not sure how much good it will do for the eyes or other respiratory illnesses. Again, I have no idea what the actual dosage is for the injectible. They are usually not interchangeable, with some exceptions. Chickens
ACTION​
Non-specific Infectious Enteritis in Chickens​
Treatment of non-specific infectious enteritis caused by organisms susceptible to streptomycin sulfate.​
(Based on a 2 lb. Chicken) 1 tsp./2 gal. of drinking water = 10 mg streptomycin per pound of body weight. 1 1/2 tsp./2 gal. of drinking water = 15 mg streptomycin per pound of body weight.​
I'm just not familiar with this particular antibiotic, but since it ends in "mycin", it must be related to lincomycin somehow. That dosage for the lincomycin, given to me by a vet tech, is 1/10 cc. , a very tiny amount. It also says "If favorable results are not obtained in 3 to 5 days, diagnosis should be re-determined" so to me, that means do not give more than 5 days consecutively.
Awww omg that's so sweet, can't believe she's 8 years young & still with you :') she recognize you?

Awww omg that's so sweet, can't believe she's 8 years young & still with you :') she recognize you?

I'm
Sure you know better then me, so maybe I shouldn't use it? & you can tell me any other antibiotic ? I mean name them all & I'll try to find if I get any of them?

Yjr
I have no idea what that is. And I'm not sure what curine is, either, unless it's like Visine.

I don't know what rosewater drops would do. You must be careful using any remedies on a chicken because things that are okay for other animals are sometimes fatal to birds, like the pain killer benzocaine.

Then I don't know which eyedrops I should use? can you suggest me any ?

Thank you for the compliment on Dusty. She has been here since she hatched from the egg, shipped from the other side of the U.S. Yes, I can read that. It sounds like it's fine to use on him, though it's really not for eye infections, according to what I'm reading. Based on this part below, though this is for an oral, by mouth, solution, not injectible, it take 1/2 teaspoon in a one-gallon waterer for the lower dosage, changed every day for a fresh batch. But it says it's for infectious enteritis, which is intestinal, so not sure how much good it will do for the eyes or other respiratory illnesses. Again, I have no idea what the actual dosage is for the injectible. They are usually not interchangeable, with some exceptions. Chickens
ACTION​
Non-specific Infectious Enteritis in Chickens​
Treatment of non-specific infectious enteritis caused by organisms susceptible to streptomycin sulfate.​
(Based on a 2 lb. Chicken) 1 tsp./2 gal. of drinking water = 10 mg streptomycin per pound of body weight. 1 1/2 tsp./2 gal. of drinking water = 15 mg streptomycin per pound of body weight.​
I'm Sure you know better then me, so maybe I shouldn't use it? & you can tell me any other antibiotic ? I mean name them all & I'll try to find if I get any of them?

Back
Top Bottom