My %$#%# rooster just jumped on my hen who has had a rough time healing square in her back. She seems in a lot of pain and i do not know what to do

Yes you can.

How many roosters to hens do you have?

I agree, I'd keep her separated out until she fully heals.
2 to 3, 4 including Mumma hen. We have 4 pullets who at the end of the month will be mature enough to lay eggs. They have just started clucking when I pick them up, but still chirp.

And I’m highly aware at how bad the ratio is, and I’m watching for signs of overbreeding. The two of them get along surprisingly well which shocks me

2 to 3, 4 including Mumma hen. We have 4 pullets who at the end of the month will be mature enough to lay eggs. They have just started clucking when I pick them up, but still chirp.

And I’m highly aware at how bad the ratio is, and I’m watching for signs of overbreeding. The two of them get along surprisingly well which shocks me
Sometimes too many males can create issues.
Separate males from the girls if there's more problems, keep your girls together if possible.

I feel really annoyed at myself that I haven’t done this as soon as I wanted to, but today I will be putting her in the garage and giving her pain meds. Also have begun drilling to add more ventilation.

Thoughts? Moments after this she tipped her bed over then spooked herself. Started panting but is better now. I have a fan blowing. She hasn’t sat down yet. She hasn’t laid an egg in a bit, should I go to the store and get some gloves and lube to be safe? She just took a crap, although not a lot. Butt is still very poopy. Also will she be lonely? I don’t know how to make her the most comfortable that I can. Gotta dose pain medication but I’m rather scared of doing something wrong. I don’t want to feel like I’ve failed her though

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    576.1 KB · Views: 9
I would have separated the males which generally do not have a problem re-integrating with hens and would have left the hen with her flock where she's most comfortable, but everyone does things differently.
She's like just stressed out from being separated, give her time to settle in.

I know that but currently we have no problems. I will separate them if I see problems but they both have established their hierarchy it seems.
Sometimes you don't see the problems until the smack you right in the face. At one time I had my rooster, 2 cockerels, 10 hens/pullets of laying age and 2 younger pullets. The boys never fought. I only noticed the issue when I looked over one afternoon and saw one of my hens crouching down behind a rock in our front yard. Then after a few minutes she army crawled over to a clump of brush before finally dashing to the coop so she could lay. As she was running the two cockerels noticed her and started running for her. They tried to take turns mating her before I could make it over to rescue her from their antics. It took two full weeks of keeping the cockerels separated before the hens settled down and peace returned to the flock. I finally was able to give the cockerels away. Now I am determined to make sure the cockerels are gone by the time they reach 12 weeks old. Luckily, we have been able to place all of them in flocks of their own.

Long story to say, watch not only how the boys interact, but how the girls are being affected by so many boys in the mix.

Hope your girl heals quickly.

Back
Top Bottom