My %$#%# rooster just jumped on my hen who has had a rough time healing square in her back. She seems in a lot of pain and i do not know what to do

3SiameseCats

Songster
Jun 24, 2023
Massachusetts
Title. Please read my previous post about her for more information. She’s in a lot of pain I can hear. What can I do? I’m so upset about this and I absolutely do not have the mental capacity to deal with this. I can not afford a vet to do imaging. Why I’m the world did the rooster think it was a good idea to do that? I don’t know if he was able to see her but it was just weird and kinda stressing me out.

Last edited:
Title. Please read my previous post about her for more information.
Do you mean the hen in this thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hen-broke-her-leg-how-do-i-rehab-her.1595840/

(It helps when you give a link to the previous thread, so people don't have to search for it.)

She’s in a lot of pain I can hear. What can I do? I’m so upset about this and I absolutely do not have the mental capacity to deal with this. I can not afford a vet to do imaging. Why I’m the world did the rooster think it was a good idea to do that? I don’t know if he was able to see her but it was just weird and kinda stressing me out.

If you really cannot deal with this, I suggest you put the hen down (yes, I mean kill her). That would be kinder than letting her suffer.

If you want to continue trying to help her, I suggest you separate her and KEEP her separated until she is completely healed.

Do you mean the hen in this thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hen-broke-her-leg-how-do-i-rehab-her.1595840/

(It helps when you give a link to the previous thread, so people don't have to search for it.)

If you really cannot deal with this, I suggest you put the hen down (yes, I mean kill her). That would be kinder than letting her suffer.

If you want to continue trying to help her, I suggest you separate her and KEEP her separated until she is completely healed.
I will separate her then. I can put her in the garage. How do I give her pain medication? I’ll contact my vet science instructor as well.

Also I’m starting to think she has bumble foot. Going to look into treating that.

I will separate her then. I can put her in the garage. How do I give her pain medication? I’ll contact my vet science instructor as well.
Are you asking about the details of getting it into her beak? Or about what medicine and how much?

I do not know what medicine, or how much to give.

As for getting the medicine into her, I've never done it personally, but I've frequently seen directions like this for pills:
I just pop the pill right into the beak. Have you ever given a pill to a chicken? No problem. They swallow just fine.

And for liquid medicine with a syringe:
This is how to give fluids by syringe or tubing safely. Inserting the syringe into the right side of the chicken's beak and putting into into the esophagus assures none will be aspirated.View attachment 3491541
If the photo does not show up in that quote, you can follow this link to see it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-advice-quickly.1577521/page-3#post-26803778

Are you asking about the details of getting it into her beak? Or about what medicine and how much?

I do not know what medicine, or how much to give.

As for getting the medicine into her, I've never done it personally, but I've frequently seen directions like this for pills:

And for liquid medicine with a syringe:

If the photo does not show up in that quote, you can follow this link to see it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-advice-quickly.1577521/page-3#post-26803778
Thanks. I’m going to email my vet sci instructor since she probably knows

Yes, give her a nice cushy nest in a roomy crate to heal. She will welcome the peace and safety. Injured and sick chickens often have a rough time being left in the flock as chickens are triggered to abuse the sick and injured as a reflex instinct to protect the flock.

The rooster lacked empathy for the injured hen because chickens are incapable of it. Heck, many humans are, as well.

You may treat the hen with a chewable 81 grain aspirin twice a day for her pain. Give a tablet directly into her beak. Or offer it to her on your hand as many chickens will take it that way. You may also use ibuprofen. Slice a tablet into quarters and give once or twice a day.

Yes, give her a nice cushy nest in a roomy crate to heal. She will welcome the peace and safety. Injured and sick chickens often have a rough time being left in the flock as chickens are triggered to abuse the sick and injured as a reflex instinct to protect the flock.

The rooster lacked empathy for the injured hen because chickens are incapable of it. Heck, many humans are, as well.

You may treat the hen with a chewable 81 grain aspirin twice a day for her pain. Give a tablet directly into her beak. Or offer it to her on your hand as many chickens will take it that way. You may also use ibuprofen. Slice a tablet into quarters and give once or twice a day.
Can I get the aspirin at Walmart?

Back
Top Bottom