I think my RIR hen broke her leg, how do I rehab her?

3SiameseCats

Songster
Jun 24, 2023
Massachusetts
My dad noticed yesterday she was having trouble moving around. I flew back home yesterday from a trip and noticed when I was putting them in Mumma hen wasn’t on the roost. I let them out today and Mumma hen is in the exact same spot by the food bucket. She had moved but she struggles to. She seems otherwise fine.

I kinda blame myself because I didn’t give the ground enough padding I think. I’m going to put the bale of straw down, but the floor can sometimes have rain wiggle it’s way in which is why I removed all the shavings. I wanna put sand down but I don’t know what other options I have.

My dad noticed yesterday she was having trouble moving around. I flew back home yesterday from a trip and noticed when I was putting them in Mumma hen wasn’t on the roost. I let them out today and Mumma hen is in the exact same spot by the food bucket. She had moved but she struggles to. She seems otherwise fine.

I kinda blame myself because I didn’t give the ground enough padding I think. I’m going to put the bale of straw down, but the floor can sometimes have rain wiggle it’s way in which is why I removed all the shavings. I wanna put sand down but I don’t know what other options I have.
I'd say you should move her to a safe place so she can heal. My Sussex roo Oreo broke his leg last month falling off a hole and he healed within a few weeks. Chickens heal pretty fast like other birds because of their hollow bones.

I'd say you should move her to a safe place so she can heal. My Sussex roo Oreo broke his leg last month falling off a hole and he healed within a few weeks. Chickens heal pretty fast like other birds because of their hollow bones.
I’ve already moved her into the chick area because I can close it off and the chicks are big enough it’s not a big deal they can’t get to it. I filled up the chick food (probably should put adult but maybe it’s better for her healing? Don’t want her to put on too much weight though) and water, and she drank a whole bunch. Think she wants to lay an egg so I moved a nesting box mat into her area so she can lay. She seems to be panting, like I can hear her pant, rather concerned about that. She might be hot or something but I don’t know. Also should I splint her leg if possible? And how do I rehabilitate her once she is healed? She will have lost strength in her legs I assume

Edit: just ran an extension cord out to the coop and plugged a box fan in. She seems to be doing better. She had closed her beak a few times but still mostly has it open. She is currently laying on the egg mat.

Last edited:
I’ve already moved her into the chick area because I can close it off and the chicks are big enough it’s not a big deal they can’t get to it. I filled up the chick food (probably should put adult but maybe it’s better for her healing? Don’t want her to put on too much weight though) and water, and she drank a whole bunch. Think she wants to lay an egg so I moved a nesting box mat into her area so she can lay. She seems to be panting, like I can hear her pant, rather concerned about that. She might be hot or something but I don’t know. Also should I splint her leg if possible? And how do I rehabilitate her once she is healed? She will have lost strength in her legs I assume

Edit: just ran an extension cord out to the coop and plugged a box fan in. She seems to be doing better. She had closed her beak a few times but still mostly has it open. She is currently laying on the egg mat.
It seems like you are doing everything right. I'd suggest you to take her to a vet if possible.

What bone is broken?
Source:
https://poultry.extension.org/artic...ve a,shank, and the chicken walks on its toes.
1692814447332.png

It seems like you are doing everything right. I'd suggest you to take her to a vet if possible.
I’m training as a vet assistant but I don’t know any vets around. Plus, we had an unexpected expense recently we have to recover from. I can do a lot on my own, as long as I have instruction. I think I might email my instructor and see what she says, but I have no idea if she’s checking her email during the summer.

I can’t figure out how to get a good enough look at her leg to figure it out. She seems to have it tucked in. I think I’m going to build a sling for her so she can be more comfortable and not walk as much. But how would she be able to lay?

So Mumma hen last night layed a shell less egg, and sometime today layed just a yolk. She layed a perfectly fine egg yesterday. It is getting cooler outside, could it just be we are getting to the end of the season? One of the other brown chickens are also laying shell less eggs.

She’s also panting a crap ton any time she tries to move and afterwards. Like I can hear her breathing

Here’s some photos I got. She was standing but her leg won’t bend vertical. Could it be a slipped tendon? How do I fix that? How urgent is it to get a sling if she keeps trying to walk on it?

Attachments

• IMG_9746.jpeg
    IMG_9746.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9745.jpeg
    IMG_9745.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9742.jpeg
    IMG_9742.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9743.jpeg
    IMG_9743.jpeg