Oct 14, 2021
I have a roughly 3/12 or 4 year old hen who has suddenly stopped moving. Two days ago I found her stumbling around in her coop while the others were roosting for the night, looking around as if she couldn't see well and walking into walls and stumbling. Yesterday she acted fine.

This morning I found her lying on the floor of the coop, unable to walk again. I tried lifting her up but she stumbled and sank back down. She is acting very alert, but doesn't seem interested in food or drink unless it's put right up to her beak. She acts like she can't use her legs. The day it started her manure was coming out in tiny yellowish white spurts.

I checked for mites, didn't see anything. Tried checking for eggbound, but to be graphic, her cloeca was too small for my finger to go into to check for any sign of a bound egg. She hasn't used the bathroom it seems since yesterday. I'm going to try and give her an epsom salt bath. She was never vaccinated for mareks as far as I know. I checked her crop but it seemed flat.

I highly suspect it might be she injured her legs while flying out of the roosts onto the concrete floor (because we recently cleaned their coop out and laid new shavings, but the person who laid the shavings didn't put enough to cushion the concrete floor. I quickly told them to add way more to cushion their fall). I read that they can also sprain their joints that way. That wouldn't account for the bathroom issues though I don't think. Please help me with any advice you might have.

I have attached two videos showing her condition:

About 3 and a half years or 4 years. Diet is regular chicken pellets along with greens we give them sometimes like kale and lettuce. They have been foraging outside since the weather's gotten warmer as well.
Update: Her right foot keeps curling up but is also able to extend. She sits on it when it's curled.

While you're right, the landing onto concrete may have injured her legs, it wouldn't account for her strange poop unless that's coming from stress. She looks alert which is good.

If this were me, I'd immobilize her in a sling so her feet aren't touching the ground. If you google chicken slings, there are oodles of pretty easy-to-do ideas. The soaking in Epsom salts is probably helpful for her pain as well if she's in any. Chickens just don't show it most times. I'd also give her some electrolyte water to help with the stress.

I'm not sure this is the cure-all for your hen, but I would do it to get her off her feet for a few days to see if she gets more mobile. Vitamin water like Poultry Cell could also help her.

If after a couple of days there's no improvement at all, then it must be something else.

Another update: She won't eat or drink anymore, she keeps acting "confused" as if she can't tell where the food is and keeps pecking at random spots on the floor. I will try the poultry cell. Unfortunately have no electrolytes on hand

While you're right, the landing onto concrete may have injured her legs, it wouldn't account for her strange poop unless that's coming from stress. She looks alert which is good.

If this were me, I'd immobilize her in a sling so her feet aren't touching the ground. If you google chicken slings, there are oodles of pretty easy-to-do ideas. The soaking in Epsom salts is probably helpful for her pain as well if she's in any. Chickens just don't show it most times. I'd also give her some electrolyte water to help with the stress.

I'm not sure this is the cure-all for your hen, but I would do it to get her off her feet for a few days to see if she gets more mobile. Vitamin water like Poultry Cell could also help her.

If after a couple of days there's no improvement at all, then it must be something else.
I will look into the sling!

I have a roughly 3/12 or 4 year old hen who has suddenly stopped moving. Two days ago I found her stumbling around in her coop while the others were roosting for the night, looking around as if she couldn't see well and walking into walls and stumbling. Yesterday she acted fine.

This morning I found her lying on the floor of the coop, unable to walk again. I tried lifting her up but she stumbled and sank back down. She is acting very alert, but doesn't seem interested in food or drink unless it's put right up to her beak. She acts like she can't use her legs. The day it started her manure was coming out in tiny yellowish white spurts.

I checked for mites, didn't see anything. Tried checking for eggbound, but to be graphic, her cloeca was too small for my finger to go into to check for any sign of a bound egg. She hasn't used the bathroom it seems since yesterday. I'm going to try and give her an epsom salt bath. She was never vaccinated for mareks as far as I know. I checked her crop but it seemed flat.

I highly suspect it might be she injured her legs while flying out of the roosts onto the concrete floor (because we recently cleaned their coop out and laid new shavings, but the person who laid the shavings didn't put enough to cushion the concrete floor. I quickly told them to add way more to cushion their fall). I read that they can also sprain their joints that way. That wouldn't account for the bathroom issues though I don't think. Please help me with any advice you might have.

I have attached two videos showing her condition:

Here are two more videos, one of how strange she acts when she eats (looks like she almost can't coordinate her head movements? I wiped her face off after lol, messy eater) and one of her struggling to stand.

Back
Top Bottom