My hen hurt her leg

Chichin Mama

Making lemonade 🍋🐣
Premium Feather Member
Jun 13, 2022
Battle Creek, Mi
I'm not sure if anyone can help me on here over the Internet, but to be honest, I really don't know where else to go. I don't have a vet I can take her to, but I'm willing to put in whatever effort it takes to get her better.

My Barred Rock hen started limping last week. At the time, she was still able to get on the roost at night and was laying. I decided to just keep a close eye on her. Now, the problem has gotten worse and she won't roost at night, even having problems getting up the ramp into her coop. I'm not for positive, but I think she might still be laying. I have noticed her tripping a lot and falling on her face; she often uses her wings to help her get around and balance.

I have checked her foot and see no signs of bumblefoot, mites, or swelling. When I look at her from behind, it does appear that the left leg is crooked like she twisted it. The problem seems to be at the hip. She can still move her toes on both feet. I really hope she didn't dislocate something. I'm at a loss of what to do. How would one go about splinting it since it is her hip joint? Would it help if I gave her an epsom salt soak?

She is still in with her three flock mates since I have not seen any signs of bullying and she can still walk some, she just lays down a lot.

I can put on some pictures of her in the morning. If anyone can help me or has any ideas, I would be so grateful as I have no idea where to start!

Pictures would be helpful. What are you feeding? Do you have a rooster? Have you tried moving her leg around to see if it's firmly in place? Sorry for all the questions, just want to cover bases!

Pictures would be helpful. What are you feeding? Do you have a rooster? Have you tried moving her leg around to see if it's firmly in place? Sorry for all the questions, just want to cover bases!
I am feeding them Prince (brand) All-flock with oyster shell on the side. I do not have a rooster, she is in with three other hens. I tried moving it around, I think it is in place, it is hard to tell.

I really appreciate the help, and I don't mind the questions at all!

Back
Top Bottom