My son's (9) mental health crisis...UPDATE - HE's HOME!!

Hugs and prayers to you and your family!!! :aww
hugs.gif

I can't imagine what you've been through, but will be praying for Jacob, and for you all at home.

Nothing helpful or informative for me to add - except to say that it sounds like you have a great relationship with your son and that he's a great kid. As hard as it is, it's a good thing that he came to you for help rather than hiding or trying to deal with it on his own. AND, it's wonderful that you listened and acted - even though this must be incredibly hard.

We're all here for you if/when you need to talk. You'll all definitely be in my prayers.

Please keep us posted.

I am so glad that your son trusts you enough to talk to you about this...
I've been there myself...I had and still have trust issues. I was locked away for a whole summer way back in 72 in "Division 72". I was the youngest patient. I was all of 8!
I also have an explosive temper which they found out when I broke the window in the "quiet room" It was about 4 inches thick with the wires in it...very Hannibal Lechter.
One of the other patients thought it would be fun to flush the Snoopy that was my sister's and I knew that she'd have a fit if she found out and I was gonna rip the other patient to shreds...It took 4 adults to get me into the "Quiet room".

But, back to your son, if he's still grounded in reality, he should be okay. Especially if he knows that the things that he's hearing is wrong. If it was Schizophrenia, he'd be completely convinced what the voices were telling him was real.
Hugs, kisses and prayers...for the whole family.

How horrible for you. Stay strong, and we'll be thinking of and praying for you. I can relate in a way, as my husband is a Vietnam vet and has PTSD; they have him on all kinds of mind altering meds; you really have to watch it cause that stuff in itself is pretty frightening; we've had to go through some nightmares of our own with his behaviour, so can relate a bit to you; but so much worse when it's your kid! Good luck to you and your family.

I have an anxiety disorder, and as I look back at my childhood...it was present even then, but nobody had ever heard of such a thing in those days.
Chemical Inbalances were not "Real". You basically had to get over it......
I suffered terribly as a young adult, all the way through my mid thirtys.
I had all kinds of physical problems due to severe stress and I had thoughts of......
running my car into a tree..........etc. never thoughts of hurting others......as a child I would dream that my parents were trying to kill me.......It was all horrible.
But....it was all I knew......I thought everybody went through that kinda of stuff, so I suffered in silence.
As an adult I realized this was not normal and that was even thougher......finding a doctor to believe me and to help me was a long miserable process......kept in mind I am a RN and I can really put on a good front.....so everybody thought I was SO STRONG.....while on the inside I was falling apart.
My marriage suffered terribly....my relationships with family really suffered too. I had to "stay strong" in my mind for my son.....the only thing that really mattered to me......he was my reason for living.
I finally found the help I needed........I am on medication and probably will be for life.
I am happy......I have a wonderful life. I take nothing for granted. God is my strenght and I pray to Him often. I thank Him for sending me to the places I needed to go for help.

I still have HORRIBLE panic attackes from time to time.....I have had three in the last three weeks....they almost defeat me...but I will not allow it....life is to good and I love my family and my God to allow this to defeat me. It does set me back a bit, but I continue on with the love of life.......my animals help. I find comfort in them.
This is a story I love to share...because I am a success story.....I will always have this problem....but I have a handle on it....it does not control me.....I try my best to control it.
I no longer have thoughts of "driving in to a tree" etc.
But I still have my demons to battle.....this is an ILLNESS, just like hypertension, Diabetes,
it has to be managed. I have a anxiety/panic disorder....it is a disease...I am not crazy.
I heard a statement once.....a doctor once said...."if I am ever in a fox hole, put me in with someone with a anxiety disorder.....they are use to dealing with a high level of stress and most of the time you would never even know it".
I was a crital care nurse for 22 years I dealt with life and death routinly and no one ever knew I was bing chewed up on the inside.

Tell this story to say, your son is fortunate to have parents that listen and that are getting him the help he needs.......be patient, it may be a rough road. I will be praying for him.
Please feel free to contact me......

Last edited:
Just thought I'd say how sorry I am for you and I hope you son gets to come home soon. When hes ready and the doctors think he is ready. Sounds like a very smart boy who will be fine. I will pray for you and your family.

Jennifer

There are so many psychiatric disorders. maybe he does not have adhd maybe something else. And I think children with pysch issues these days are blanketed with add adhd. etc behaviour problem child etc when they may actually have a severe pysch issue. Often when people hear voices the keep it to themselves for a long time because they are afraid to be called crazy or in a childs case they are plain afraid! Schizophrenia is a disorder in which voices are heard. And it can be present in children not just adults. With proper treatment and counseling i hope they DX your son with what ails him. it is important you get a proper Dx to start the correct meds. Don't forget to make sure they rule out anything physical in the brain! I have seen patients get told time and time again. It is in your head, you are depressed etc etc. only to finbd they do indeed have imbalances , abnormalities.etc.
I have an uncle who has been Dx with schizophrenia for years and years. On meds and is able to function a fairly normal life. The only thing is he can't sleep at night because the voices talk to him and keep him awake. He falls asleep when he is absolutly exhausted and can't hear them because he is so so tired and sleeping deep.
Good luck to you and your boy. It may take some time to get him settled with a proper regime. These disorders are not the type of thing wher he goes in gets what he needs, comes home and everything is hunky dory. It does take some time but stay strong. You certainly did the right thing by your son and he is in the right place . ErinM

Thank God he trusts and loves you enough to come to you with this -- you're obviously an incredible parent and the perfect one for him. He's getting the help he needs.

My best wishes to you and to him! Please keep us updated.

Sometimes medications can have serious side effects. Your child may be experincing rare side effects from medication. Both hallucinations and anxiety can be caused by "focus" medications. Whatever is the cause, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Let us know how your son is doing. My older son is also nine, and I know how horrible it would be for me. Stay stong, vent here, and find a real shoulder to cry on. Good luck and warm wishes to you and your family.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom