My turkey coop is coming along

Gorman Farm

Songster
Nov 16, 2015
I am excited that my new turkeys will be coming April 1st. We have been busy building a large coop.
Here are some pics of what we have up so far. The coop is built up on a concrete pad and the frame is screwed in to keep it predator proof.

More progress today Plywood and tyvek is on roof and next metal goes up on roof.
We still have to do outside corners, perches, and finish framing the inside of windows. Also we are building the people door and turkey doors to covered grazing area. I plan on making the covered grazing area about 5 1/2 ft tall so I can walk in.
Question for anyone. What is the best bedding to use? I use sawdust/fine wood chips in my chicken coop but I was told turkeys would eat that and get sick?? I also
have straw available that I use for my sheep, and chicken nesting boxes would that be better?

There is that initial cost with occasionally topping it off. We found hay and shavings too messy with turkeys. Hopefully someone else will share what they do.

I also use sand in my turkey coop, it allows for the moisture to sip down. I used straw and pine shavings in the past but it got wet and messy. I live near a place where they sale sand and gravel by the truck load. They charge $35.00 for a pick up truck load, luckily my 3/4 ton truck handles two front loader scoops of sand, that is enough for the coop. Buying sand in bulk is a lot cheaper than buying 50 lbs bags of sand at HD or Lowes.

I use a cinder block as a step down for mine. They aren't good with ramps and when wet they slide, so you might have to see down the road if you need to change it. Turkeys need lots of ventilation, are you doing vents? We have Windows. Looking good.

I have ordered 13 from Cackle Hatchery. 5 Narragansett and 8 Royal Palms. I have heard that they are so fragile and some may not make it, but that was the limit I could order, I wanted another half dozen.
We are building the coop and attached run large enough for 20+ so we can grow our flock. It is 238 sq ft with 8 foot ceiling. It will also have a brooder built in which I am excited about. The last time I incubated a few eggs from my chickens I had to keep them inside the house.

Very nice! It will be a beautiful flock. And of course we need lots of pictures!!

I have ordered 13 from Cackle Hatchery. 5 Narragansett and 8 Royal Palms. I have heard that they are so fragile and some may not make it, but that was the limit I could order, I wanted another half dozen. 
We are building the coop and attached run large enough for 20+ so we can grow our flock. It is 238 sq ft with 8 foot ceiling. It will also have a brooder built in which I am excited about. The last time I incubated a few eggs from my chickens I had to keep them inside the house.

Turkey heaven! (Really big run to match? They will, if not "trained", want to spend the majority of time out-of-doors). Definitely an excellent sized shed for nesting hens.

Our Royals, from Cackle, were as hardy as the Slates from Cackle. Make sure to arrange brooder so they have a few roost bars available - they will start "popping" like corn (attempting/succeeding at flying) at about a week-and-a-half.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you suggest a height for brooder and perches then, if I put perches in how far from heat source do they need to be?
Did all your turkey chicks make it? We live in Florida so it is quite warm here, how long do they need the heat lamp on them? It is about mid eighties during the day here and in the 60's at night, might be a tad warmer by the time they get here.
Congrats on your turkeys how old are they now?

Back
Top Bottom