My turkey coop is coming along

Gorman Farm

Songster
Nov 16, 2015
I am excited that my new turkeys will be coming April 1st. We have been busy building a large coop.
Here are some pics of what we have up so far. The coop is built up on a concrete pad and the frame is screwed in to keep it predator proof.

I have ordered 13 from Cackle Hatchery. 5 Narragansett and 8 Royal Palms. I have heard that they are so fragile and some may not make it, but that was the limit I could order, I wanted another half dozen.
We are building the coop and attached run large enough for 20+ so we can grow our flock. It is 238 sq ft with 8 foot ceiling. It will also have a brooder built in which I am excited about. The last time I incubated a few eggs from my chickens I had to keep them inside the house.

Very nice! It will be a beautiful flock. And of course we need lots of pictures!!

I have ordered 13 from Cackle Hatchery. 5 Narragansett and 8 Royal Palms. I have heard that they are so fragile and some may not make it, but that was the limit I could order, I wanted another half dozen. 
We are building the coop and attached run large enough for 20+ so we can grow our flock. It is 238 sq ft with 8 foot ceiling. It will also have a brooder built in which I am excited about. The last time I incubated a few eggs from my chickens I had to keep them inside the house.

Turkey heaven! (Really big run to match? They will, if not "trained", want to spend the majority of time out-of-doors). Definitely an excellent sized shed for nesting hens.

Our Royals, from Cackle, were as hardy as the Slates from Cackle. Make sure to arrange brooder so they have a few roost bars available - they will start "popping" like corn (attempting/succeeding at flying) at about a week-and-a-half.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you suggest a height for brooder and perches then, if I put perches in how far from heat source do they need to be?
Did all your turkey chicks make it? We live in Florida so it is quite warm here, how long do they need the heat lamp on them? It is about mid eighties during the day here and in the 60's at night, might be a tad warmer by the time they get here.
Congrats on your turkeys how old are they now?

Thanks for the feedback. Can you suggest a height for brooder and perches then, if I put perches in how far from heat source do they need to be? Did all your turkey chicks make it? We live in Florida so it is quite warm here, how long do they need the heat lamp on them? It is about mid eighties during the day here and in the 60's at night, might be a tad warmer by the time they get here. Congrats on your turkeys how old are they now?
Chook chicks for example of roost ht. in brooder:
LittleGuys0405.jpg
Keep heat lamp adjusted so that temp. at one end of brooder will stay around 95° at level of brooder floor for the first week and then drop by 5° a week. You'll know you've got it right as they'll spread out through brooder during day and "flop-out" at night (the three in shot all turned out to be toms - the two destined to be hens would park it on roost bar at other end of brooder - no, not an accurate method of determining sex - just the way it worked out, here):
sleepingpoult-1.jpg
One RP poult arrived puny (rest were fireballs - you'll know the "imprinting" took as when you leave their sight it will be the constant peeping for mama) and just faded away as I held it in my hand. Our oldest, original Cackle RP tom died at 8.5 yrs - developed the wet form of Fowl Pox, otherwise he'd probably still be out back with the 10yr. old Slate Hen. Below, the tom with one of his offspring:
whosyrturkey080511.jpg
Be prepared for considerable flying (our hen hatched poults are infamous for half-flying/half-climbing up 6 ft. fencing at two weeks). Once the first year has past, the "need" to take to the wing decreases - until then? Be prepared: (RP jenny on roof of chicken coop)
misshissescape03299907.jpg
You might want to download the ALBC Turkey Manual (pretty concise/useful even if not "pasturing" your turks): http://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/resources/internal /turkey-manual Also (of course): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-turkeys-what-do-i-need-to-know#post_11309891 Poults love moths - particularly if the moths are still alive when grabbed from between your fingers (just an FYI :) )

Last edited:
We have Royal Palm and Narragansett, We hatched them in the incubator and then had a hen raised them. They free range and are a little wild since we did not handled them when young. When they were younger, they liked to fly up onto the tree braches or top of the coop and try to roost, I would catch them and put them in their coop. Now I have to herd them into the coop before it gets dark or they will try to fly up onto the trees in the back yard. We also get BBB but they can't fly over the fence once they get fat.
Here is a pic of them from last year.

More progress today Plywood and tyvek is on roof and next metal goes up on roof.
We still have to do outside corners, perches, and finish framing the inside of windows. Also we are building the people door and turkey doors to covered grazing area. I plan on making the covered grazing area about 5 1/2 ft tall so I can walk in.
Question for anyone. What is the best bedding to use? I use sawdust/fine wood chips in my chicken coop but I was told turkeys would eat that and get sick?? I also
have straw available that I use for my sheep, and chicken nesting boxes would that be better?

Back
Top Bottom