My turkey coop is coming along

It is composite siding. Bought it at Home Depot. We chose it because it is mildew and termite resistant and we live in Florida.

I also live within Florida. At the moment I'm just using one of those plastic resin sheds that you can get at Home Depot for my 6 hens. But I wanted to expand so I was thinking about building something. Thank you for the info.

Here is the people door and turkey door we just completed. He made the door custom so it would be flush with the building and the inside of door is framed to keep it from warping.
Turkeys were delayed and should be here Wednesday.......finally.....

I use a cinder block as a step down for mine. They aren't good with ramps and when wet they slide, so you might have to see down the road if you need to change it. Turkeys need lots of ventilation, are you doing vents? We have Windows. Looking good.

I use a cinder block as a step down for mine. They aren't good with ramps and when wet they slide, so you might have to see down the road if you need to change it. Turkeys need lots of ventilation, are you doing vents? We have Windows. Looking good.

Yeah, old shingles/ strips of silicone Non-Slip Fabric Netting on ramp. Juveniles will jostle one another in the hurry to get out - other than poults - prime age for leg/hip injuries.

Can anyone describe a typical nest box for turkeys? I have a chicken coop set up and the turkeys will share it but i dont think they can use the nests i have, roughly 10x12x16 deep. I've seen 2 hens share one but i don't think the turkeys will even fit once they are mature.

Can anyone describe a typical nest box for turkeys? I have a chicken coop set up and the turkeys will share it but i dont think they can use the nests i have, roughly 10x12x16 deep. I've seen 2 hens share one but i don't think the turkeys will even fit once they are mature.

You would be surprised at how tight a space a turkey hen can squeeze herself into if she wants to. My number one preferred nesting site by my turkey hens is simply a pallet leaned up against against a wall. They like the idea that they think they are hidden.

You would be surprised at how tight a space a turkey hen can squeeze herself into if she wants to.  My number one preferred nesting site by my turkey hens is simply a pallet leaned up against against a wall.  They like the idea that they think they are hidden.

Been trying to embed a pic but it keeps aborting the whole reply so, anyway, my wife wanted some turkey eggs so i got 3 black and white ones and one white one when i picked up some new chicks. I just don't know the best way to get them to lay and be able to find their eggs. I think one of them is part guinea because she never shuts up :)

It's been crazy around the farm so just an up-date on the turkey chicks.
They arrived on a Wednesday 8 Royal Palms, 5 Naragansett, and 5 Buff Orpingtons that the lady at Cackle Hatchery told me I needed to help raise the turkey
chicks and show them what to do.
They arrived on a Wednesday late morning after 2 days in transit. I had the brooder ready and warm and as I took each one out I dipped beaks in warm water dish.
Sadly two of the Royal Palms looked very weak and lethargic. I stayed by the brooder periodically dipping beaks, had the crumble both in the feeder and on a paper towel many were eating but it was hard to tell if they all were. That said I ended up loosing 3 Royal Palms and 1 of the Buff Orpingtons within the first 18 hours. So sad.....I called Cackle they agreed to replace the 3 RP's but I had to order more chickens to make a full order. Ended up ordering Black Sex Link hens.
Next ordeal was the second priority shipment was supposed to be here in 2 days but took 3 and we all know what that means. One of my RP's was DOA and the other two who have been here 1 day are not looking good, I also lost 1 pullet, 3 days of stressful travel...ugh..all in all this has not been a good experience for me.
I am raising the new babies inside since the original shipment is still in the brooder and they are 9 days older.
Now I have a bunch of extra chickens.......The Naragansett seem to be hardier than the RP's.......IMO
Top it all off we ended up having to butcher the 2 roosters I incubated and raised.......they tag teamed one of my older hens and nearly killed her..........so in the freezer they went.
Well that's the up-date......off to go take care of lambs and chicks........
At what age can I combine the turkey chicks that are 9 days apart if they live?

Back
Top Bottom