My turkey coop is coming along

I put all mine together with as much as 4 weeks between them and they are all one big family. Interestingly, my buff orphingtons hang with the turkeys too :) I got all mine from family farm and only lost one turkey and they are all very healthy. The only regret one might have with this strategy is that kids handle the chicks and may put some back in the wrong brooders so you cant be sure you are getting the breed you want unless you are very familiar with them. My Auracanas are 3 different breeds (they all looked like chipmonks to start) but we were already warned about that. Im happy i got one that looks somewhat like one and she is very pretty in any case so im happy with my flock so far :)

My turkeys think they are chickens :)

I put all mine together with as much as 4 weeks between them and they are all one big family. Interestingly, my buff orphingtons hang with the turkeys too :) I got all mine from family farm and only lost one turkey and they are all very healthy. The only regret one might have with this strategy is that kids handle the chicks and may put some back in the wrong brooders so you cant be sure you are getting the breed you want unless you are very familiar with them. My Auracanas are 3 different breeds (they all looked like chipmonks to start) but we were already warned about that. Im happy i got one that looks somewhat like one and she is very pretty in any case so im happy with my flock so far :)

My turkeys think they are chickens :)
Be careful, my turkeys raised with chickens eventually started fighting with them at sexual maturity and killed a rooster, they were both toms and confused about not being chickens.

Ok thanks.
I think I will try to get these I have inside to about 2 weeks old then move them to the brooder and allow the others that will be almost 4 week olds into another area of the turkey coop. Then after they acclimate for another week I will try putting them altogether. The chickens will get moved to the chicken coop when they are big enough as I have a couple rough older hens that are bullies..They told me once they go outside they cannot be together anymore the chickens and turkeys ??

My turkeys and chickens range in the same pasture. You only need to be concerned if there's blackhead in your area.

Turkeys bond easily with different species and I don't think often know they are turkeys especially when younger.

Mine are always loud and obnoxious their first year and like to chase and harass my chickens and make trouble.

I just like to warm people about my experience so you can be aware that it can happen. If you notice your turkeys being overly boisterous or focusing on your chickens it might be time to separate them and house them separately.

Others have said theirs are fine. I'm starting to think I'm raising some unusual turkeys, mine can't be the only troublemakers, but every new batch is just as rowdy.

I got all mine within 4 weeks or so and put them together from the start. I dont have any toms, just hens (i hope). The turkeys seem to be a little more agressive but all ive seen so far looks like play. I watched one peck at the outside chick in a sunning pile until she moved and then tried to get into the pile causing a lot of commotion but that is about the worst of it.

Because of neighbors and grand children i have a no rooster rule. That includes turkeys. I just want eggs and trying to hatch my own is way too much trouble right now. I am very happy to go to the store and buy some when i need new ones.

Such cute babies. They can bond strongly with humans. My turkeys are much friendlier than my chickens. They usually just want to hop into my lap & take a nap.:rolleyes:

Wow these turkeys are getting huge. The males are starting to strut and fan the beautiful feathers.
They are still friendly but no more shoulder sitting too heavy.

Back
Top Bottom