My turkey poults keep dying and I'm at a loss

I would add save a chick to their water and some tetracycline powder to add to water. Then after adding that and if you have another one die then I would switch to tylan 200. I add 1cc of tylan 200 injectable to quart of water. So if it is gallon that is 4 cc. You have to do something or all of them is going to die. I was boil eggs and mash them shells and all with some oatmeal and feed them that to get their nutrition up. I have even added tetracycline powder to crushed eggs and oatmeal for them to eat to get more medicine in them when I get sick birds.

I agree with the suggestion of feed (adding egg yokes etc.) - and would consider sanitizing the brooder - and I would bring the birds inside to eliminate temp flux... any chance a rat can enter the brooder? I had an episode where a rat or a weasel bit 5 of my 4 week old birds in the neck - leaving little or no damage - an placed them in a pile...

Why put anything in their water. I've never put meds or anything into the water of chicks of any type unless they were diagnosed with cocci, which happened once in the past 15 years. If you're adding antibiotics just because an old timer of the penicillin age still believes it is a cure all, that's a great way to make that antibiotic useless when you really need it for the birds or yourself.

Last edited:
I usually treat symptoms and death is usually pretty good symptom to suggest illness. That is why I would get to treating something because greater than 50% death loss spells trouble to me. I always say when you have one die is time to STOP and look at things to see what is causing it before more die.
I think moving them is good idea too in case their is a rat. I would just get to doing something quickly cause pretty soon they all will be dead. Anyways that is just how I would do things. I am by no means a vet and I sure do not know everything. I have rasied a pretty good number of turkeys and last year had a pen of them falling over dead seemed no symptoms. I put tetracycline in water and added it to mashed egg for 5 days and it sure enough fixed it. I did some reading then but cannot remember what illness I came up with but it was prevelant in turkey poults.

Sorry to hear about your poults. I hope you can figure it out.

One thing I wanted to ask....are they getting wet at all? Like really damp bedding from a leaking waterer? what kind of bedding do they have?

x2 for the checking if they are actually drinking...

Well, the 4 left are still 4, so no recent deaths. Who knows why the others died. No lethargy, no physical wounds, no unusual poo, none of that. The good news is now they are almost 3 weeks old and are much larger, so I hope that means they are much more durable as well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well, the 4 left are still 4, so no recent deaths.  Who knows why the others died.  No lethargy, no physical wounds, no unusual poo, none of that.  The good news is now they are almost 3 weeks old and are much larger, so I hope that means they are much more durable as well.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sending good vibes your way.

Back
Top Bottom