my very own micro farm

Pics

attimus

Songster
5 Years
Dec 14, 2014
Bootjack California, just west of yosemite
So being as its the beginning of the year I feel its a good time to start a running thread of my birds. What started as 3 chicks became 4 hens which quickly turned into 5. Not long after we acquired 4 ducks and 2 more hens. And i will be getting my first roo in two days. Gotta love chicken math. Between two separate garden sites, a restaurant supplied compost pile, hand dug pond and ambitious plans for the future involving new poultry,livestock and structures I'll be fairly busy. BYC has been by far the best resource and I look forward to sharing my experiences.
a few of the girls getting a warm snack on a cold day. Been frozen here the last few mornings and my ducks certainly don't like their pond being frozen. Still end up getting in it after I break the ice tho. Crazy mallards.
this was from a few days before the cold snap. If you've made it this far thanks for taking an interest, there will certainly be more to come. Wish all you fellow byc'rs a great new year. Attimus

Finally getting some good storms. Havent gotten nearly enough rain this season. Its given me a chance to keep my woodpile stocked however.
Lost another of the free range birds to the bobcat recently, it's been a while but I'm going to have to take care of that thing eventually. Coming up on a 3 day weekend. Hopefully the rain will lighten up enough to get some work done.

Zach

Finally got through the brunt of a big storm out here. Lots of snow between home and work. I've put up new tarps for both the chicken and Turkey pens as well as spread another cube of shavings in each. Was just having a conversation with a random stranger last night in line at vons about my past volume of chickens. It can be a bit disheartening but I am determined to stay focused and get to a comfortable point again within a more controlled environment. Still doing all the same things I'm doing. Staying busy and staying warm until better weather comes.

Zach

Certainly feel like I fell of the face of the earth. Can't believe it's been 20 days since I've posted. So much can happen in that time for anyone.
Things have been interesting here to say the least.
I'll start off with the hand..
Physical therapy is going well and I'm getting a lot of movement back in my fingers, or at least what's left of them. :) as for my soul, I'm going a little stir crazy being forceably homebodied. Manage to get out a few times a week in part to "consult"on my bosses soccer team, 5-7 yr olds. Lol. They are a blast. Between that the P.T. and a bit of shopping for dinner here and there helps.

Now that I got me out of the way onto the chickens....
I've been having quite a few problems with predators but no losses.
2 very large raccoons have been lurking off and on around the edge of the property, tho with the recent rain I think they've headed back towards the creek down the hill.
1 fox possibly more unless he's super fast. And I can't help but ask "what does the fox say?" He had a lot to say next to the pumphouse in the field adjacent to ours in the wee hoThe. The Miss' ran out to the fence line with the crow caller and made some outlandish noises of her own with the anticipated outcome. Haven't heard or seen much since that first night.
The hawks of been numerous and rampant, it seems the adults have better plans for their days but the juveniles have been getting agressive, one actually had an austrolorp pinned in a bush but couldn't get to it due to its own inability to access the interior of the bush. Her scared calls and my dog losing it on the line had me running and that bit of death from above flying off empty taloned before I was within 20 feet of it. This was the closest call, the rest have been high in the sky or tops of the bullpines, but they like the others in the past will learn to move on.
The last and largest so far has been one very hungry coyote. The 1st of 3 instances so far(all during the day) was the fence line of my backyard with both the wife and her friend outside, the Miss' was actually the one to chase him off. The ******* was literally 2 feet from a couple of my hens that wouldnt turn their backs to him only separated by an old and outdated wire ranch fence. The 2nd two instances were both the same day and started with my dog barking like armegeddon started. I ran outside just in time to see the sneaky devil jump the fence in the far corner of the property. Never enough time to double back for the .22. He was out of sight when I came back out but the dog knew he was still around...
Less than 3 hours later he came back to the original location, which I've figured out is a blind spot for the dog, this time however he was confronted by 3 of my 4 roaming roosters. They were louder than the hens for sure and gave my friend a chance to step out and chase it of again. Seriously want this thing dead.

Still not much happening with the projects, tho my hand is improving so we'll see soon. I do need to keep it dry still and we've actually had a decent bit of wet weather. I just hope it all doesn't come at once. With my downtime I've had a bt of a scrying eye towards the work I've done and am already seeing areas in need of vast improvement.

To the slow months. Lol. Guess I didn't imagine my they would be spent like this.

As always.
Onwards and upwards
Attimus.

Well here's the good news. Got the OK to go back to work. Bandages are off and fingers are healing well. Still look a little intense in my opinion but I trust the doctor. I'll keep em covered while at work an on projects but I'm happy the bandages are off. Sensation is considerably interesting but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Guess it's time to get back to the projects, of course at my own pace and leisure. :)

There's going to be some graphic pictures soon, both of my fingers and the next processing. Most likely not in the same post but I want to give everyone a heads up. I'll post again with multiple warnings before the actual pictures are posted just to give the squimish enough time to skip it.

Excitedly
Onwards and upwards
Attimus

Back
Top Bottom