my very own micro farm

Pics
been in and around the asian culture for over ten years....it (the hmong) culture is very different then the american culture for sure....could go on for days about the stories and what i have went thru with them and their culture...we (american) have priests in the hmong culture they have a shaman...truly a different everything. would love to share about the spirits and such.

the sauce you can buy at a regular asian store for egg rolls...we watered it down to make a salad dressing and it tasted great...very yummy....sweetened chili sauce for spring rolls....its different from the sweet chili sauce for chicken.... its made from the pantai norasingh brand. its made in thailand....the spring rolls that you get from the restaurants are different from spring rolls from the hmong people....the spring rolls in the restaurants are deep fried and the spring rolls from the hmong people are spring rolls "called fresh rolls" and they are a rice sheet that is soaked in hot water until it moistens up and then wrapped like an egg roll....cilanto, rice noodle, sliced cucumber, shaved carrot, and either seasoned pork, or shrimp or both.....so it is super fresh for sure and then it is made with a peanut sauce that is so good....ahhhh...making me so hungry just for the sauce i might have to get busy....lol.....

My mom is Thai... The Hmong come from a variety of Asian cultures a lot of Thai influence. I grew up with the traditions but am very Americanized... Cause mom wanted to learn all there was when she married dad, ( army guy) i think it is very cool that you have that influence in your life.

My mom is Thai... The Hmong come from a variety of Asian cultures a lot of Thai influence. I grew up with the traditions but am very Americanized... Cause mom wanted to learn all there was when she married dad, ( army guy) i think it is very cool that you have that influence in your life.

Ohh and I grew up eating the food... Very different than what you find at a restaurant although there are a few that come close. Fresh spring rolls... Fish sauce in everything!! Hahaha. I love all foood though... So there's that. Lol

Last edited:
Hope everyone's St. Patrick's went well. Here's the corned beef we ran tonight.

Stone ground honey glaze. Butter braised carrots and cabbage with onion and bacon. Piped mash.

Looks like I'm gonna give my hand at the new fowl art contest coming up. This will finish up just before I have to do a sidewalk installment so I might use whatever picture I go with for both. I'll take a look through my own flocks photos but I have a few specific angles in mind to start things off and don't know if I have them.

Came home with another bag of green onion cuttings to add to the second box. The first box looks like a moon landscape with how the are all growing and yes some are growing upside down :)

Chicks are doing good under momma hen, they were clambering toward to light coming through the cage today so I might move them around to the front of the house to enjoy it a bit more in the mornings.

Eyes are bleary as I type, work will just keep landing me home later, which means a later unwind from the evening. I can see alot of late night meals in the future but for now I'm off to sleep.

Happy holidays to those that partook.

Onwards and upwards
Attimus

Last edited:
Momma hen out and about with her babies

Someone else has also been aloud to free range during the day for the last week or so and she seems very happy to mingle with the other birds even if they aren't. Today she was rather curious about the new chicks when I moved the pen out front.

she did end up getting to close for momma hen who promptly reminded her who was bigger. Had to drop the phone and grab her. Lol.

After giving my pond the good cleaning it needed a decent crack has become an issue, I'll have to spray some sealant in there or something the next time I drain it. It runs from the rim into the bowl so theres still a substantial amount of water but I want it to be full :)

@Angie16hearts how are your little chicks doing? Feathering out yet? My incubator is pretty much done, I'll have it running to spec when we get back from the coast, might need to get some eggs from you shortly after.

Enjoi this great day everyone
onwards and upwards
Attimus

Adding soda bread to the list of baked goods. Boss couldn't make it in until after service so he asked me to get the stuff together to sell the last of the chefs special tonight. One item included the soda bread that went with the salad. Here it is prior to being devoured by staff.

It was a hit. I'll be saving the recipe.

Attimus

@LindaB220 was a previous viewer of this thread and a fellow byc community member and now she needs our help after some tragic events.
Her story here.https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1089202/i-want-my-life-back
She has suffered a greater loss than most can understand and is now finding some direction. A community as large as byc could surely figure something out. Just wanted to help spread this message that much further. Wish her the best and try to pass this along.

Attimus

Last edited:
gate is still in the works, have the hardware but not the lumber. I'll definitely be posting when it goes up. The first box of onions is doing well and I plan on using them continually throughout summer, just cut the tops off and leave em in the be ground. Started a second box. Golittle spread dirt over the first layer today. Yes I just spread em out. I got to hung up on poking holes and "planting" them they never had a chance to really take off. The plants know which way is up and will work it out. If not there are 100s on top of it.

Spent yesterday moving wood and building a little frame to cover it. Used that second cattle panel I had lying around along with a couple tposts and pallets, pics when it's finished, I might need to rearrange tarps to get one on it that fits evenly.

Chicks are out and running around with momma

She's been off the nest and last few eggs for awhile now. I imagine what's hatched has hatched. I removed another smothered one this morning, presumably not strong enough to get out from under her like the other. 3 eggs uncracked and one that just couldn't make it out of the membrane. So 7/13 for a first time broody isn't bad. I'll check the unhatched eggs for development in a bit, when I have a moment.

Onwards and upwards
Attimus

So cute! Sorry I've had my two oldest kids visiting. I have been watching thread but with all the running around and baseball...... I've not had to much time to reply to anyone. Good rate on chicks and they are cute! I have a broody now. My little Mille fluer but she gets so mean hoping this year she trusts me more like my head hen. I may set tomorrow. All I have fertile is Serema eggs. They are a great smart breed and full blood . Let's see what I get. I'm thinking about the orange recipe . I use to make a killer one !!! I didn't keep recipe though.
I'll get pics of the 3 week olds. Thinking 2or 3 are Roos out of 6. Hope all is well with everyone !

Got some stuff done over the weekend.

Two more boxes reframed and wired on Saturday, now to get them placed and filled in.
Came up with a new special for brunch.

Tritip Benedict with sliced tomatoes pesto hollandaise and feta cheese. Most sold item of the day :)
This morning I have been racing a storm warning to get all that wood moved and covered. I had to rearrange tarp placement between the pile and the kelso run, it needed an update anyways as it was still catching to much water.
The cattle panel and pallet wood hutch is coming along and looks roughly like what I was expecting. Pics soon.
My fruit trees are doing well too.

Apple blossoms starting.

And some Asian pears on their way, got a couple apircots starting too but no pictures of those.

So cute! Sorry I've had my two oldest kids visiting. I have been watching thread but with all the running around and baseball...... I've not had to much time to reply to anyone. Good rate on chicks and they are cute! I have a broody now. My little Mille fluer but she gets so mean hoping this year she trusts me more like my head hen. I may set tomorrow. All I have fertile is Serema eggs. They are a great smart breed and full blood . Let's see what I get. I'm thinking about the orange recipe . I use to make a killer one !!! I didn't keep recipe though.
I'll get pics of the 3 week olds. Thinking 2or 3 are Roos out of 6. Hope all is well with everyone !
kids can be time consuming at any age, something I'm learning every day. Hadn't really thought about the rate but ya 70% isn't bad not counting the 3 infertiles. I'm still gonna want to get eggs from you but I've got alot to get out of the way first. I won't lemyone of my kelso that went broody last year hatch another set, she was too mean and not something I want to deal with when moving her to one of the brooder pens come time. Can't wait for the chick pics. Time to run.

Onwards and upwards
Attimus

Back
Top Bottom