Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Just when I think I know my NN flock they go and do something to perplex me. It seems that one of my brown egg-laying girls occasionally lays a green egg. My girls have been especially happy and productive this week with all of them giving me eggs each day...always three brown, one rose and two green. Then suddenly yesterday it was two brown, one rose and three green. :eek:
I have no idea who my little chameleon layer is, but have it whittled down to four possibilities. Now if they would just cooperate with my investigation and confess!...LOL!

I don't think you have I e that is switching egg shell colors on you. That is no possible. A hen will lay the same color egg every day that she started with.

Most likely what happened was that one of the green egg layers laid an egg after you gathered the eggs the day before then laid yesterday a little earlier. That has happened to me before.

I don't think you have I e that is switching egg shell colors on you. That is no possible. A hen will lay the same color egg every day that she started with.

Most likely what happened was that one of the green egg layers laid an egg after you gathered the eggs the day before then laid yesterday a little earlier. That has happened to me before.

Well...there were no eggs when I did the first and second morning checks...and then there were six later in the day, and I had the flock locked in their coop + run so no other chickens or any other birds could get in there, so.....????

And with all due respect, egg shell color does change, though not typically this dramatically as I understand it. My Aussies all laid medium brown eggs, but after a few weeks my heaviest layer was laying cream colored eggs, and still does. And from time to time another of my Aussies will switch from laying a medium brown egg to a very pale tan one just before taking a break for a day or two. My rose colored egg layer sometimes lays eggs that are half rose and half golden brown. And a couple of my solid brown egg layers now lay spotted eggs. I also know that egg shell color often changes after the hen has gone through a molt, as has even been reported in literature written in the early 1900s.

Well...there were no eggs when I did the first and second morning checks...and then there were six later in the day, and I had the flock locked in their coop + run so no other chickens or any other birds could get in there,  so.....????

And with all due respect, egg shell color does change, though not typically this dramatically as I understand it. My Aussies all laid medium brown eggs, but after a few weeks my heaviest layer was laying cream colored eggs, and still does. And from time to time another of my Aussies will switch from laying a medium brown egg to a very pale tan one just before taking a break for a day or two. My rose colored egg layer sometimes lays eggs that are half rose and half golden brown. And a couple of my solid brown egg layers now lay spotted eggs. I also know that egg shell color often changes after the hen has gone through a molt, as has even been reported in literature written in the early 1900s. 

Yes the tint will change a bit due to the dye that is put on the brown eggs, which are actually white eggs with the dye on it. And the brown color will vary as the hens mature and it regulates,, but an egg color will not change from brown to green on a hen. I can not explain why thee was an extra green one if you had no new layers or stray chickens coming and laying in your nests.

Last edited:
Yes the tint will change a bit due to the dye that is put on the brown eggs, which are actually white eggs with the dye on it. And the brown color will vary as the hens mature and it regulates,, but an egg color will not change from brown to green on a hen. I can not explain why thee was an extra green one if you had no new layers or stray chickens coming and laying in your nests.

Me either. I'm utterly perplexed. And again today....two brown, one rose and three green. The third (new) one is olive green instead of mint, but it's definitely tinted green. Unless one of the girls is laying more than one egg per day (highly unlikely) or one of my roosters has decided to start laying eggs I really can't explain it.
idunno.gif

So i was going to get rid of this little rooster because he crows non stop all day long but he is producing some great little NN's. I'm getting some with no bowtie, some with a tiny bowtie, some with a large bowtie, the occasional non nn, and the toes are all very very well distinguished. Guess he stays for now. I am up to 4 out of this hatch so far.

This one was last months hatch.

Here is a month and a half ago.

So i was going to get rid of this little rooster because he crows non stop all day long but he is producing some great little NN's. I'm getting some with no bowtie, some with a tiny bowtie, some with a large bowtie, the occasional non nn, and the toes are all very very well distinguished. Guess he stays for now. I am up to 4 out of this hatch so far.

This one was last months hatch.

Here is a month and a half ago.

Cliff, love your babies! I am so glad we love NNs! Georgia needs more of these cute little things!

So, months ago I hatched a NN from an olive green egg. I think the dad was an Ameraucana. This chicks was born with huge thick legs and had "boy" shaped wings. (You know, where the primary feathers are longer than the secondary feathers) At least, that is suppose to be one thing to look at.....doesn't hold water most of the time....LOL.....anyway, this chicks comb was ALWAYS on the pinkish side....So, the whole time I'm thinking BOY. The only reason I kept it was because it never turned pink around the jaw. Well, I have a wonderful pullet. Can't wait until she starts laying to see what color egg I get from her!

Back
Top Bottom