Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I see this patterning in all the mottled / barred chickens so it must be some kind of "thing" or indicator w/ that combo.

This white patch on the back.

Here's my NN chicks today, they're just over 4 weeks now. They all have the same parents but every single one is a different colour. I'm dying to see what colour they'll be when they're grown.

My two black ones. The one on the right is solid black except for one white feather on the tip of each wing. The one on the left has a grey/blue? stripe across it's wing. Their legs have been black from hatch, but the skin on their necks was yellow. Now their necks have gone almost completely black and it's still spreading.

The white one. This one was white at hatch but it's feathers are coming in a mix of white and grey, with a few bits of very pale buff. I couldn't get a good pic of his colouring so I put a few. He's also the one on the far left above.
Here he's the one on the right.

This last one was feeling grumpy and camera shy. It's a real mix of buff and blue with specks of black. The one hiding in the bush.

Any ideas as to what colours they might be when they're grown?

And a seperate post for "Himself"

Love this little guy
love.gif

My littles are three weeks old this weekend and we finally got them moved out to the in-coop brooder! They were thrilled to have all the space and frankly, I'm glad for them too :) They seemed to liven up immediately and they already look less hunched and fewer sneezes overall. I'm optimistic!

Look closely!

Boop is practicing her stare down on the chicks...

My little sitter. He's a great, reliable visitor.

And this guy! (I think it's a boy)
love.gif

He's worming his little way into my heart and I'm thinking he'll be a keeper. He just better keep that sweet nature!

That's my little shoulder sitting love muffin there in the center :)

I may try to get some better photos tomorrow with the big girl camera
lol.png

My littles are three weeks old this weekend and we finally got them moved out to the in-coop brooder! They were thrilled to have all the space and frankly, I'm glad for them too :) They seemed to liven up immediately and they already look less hunched and fewer sneezes overall. I'm optimistic!

Look closely!

Boop is practicing her stare down on the chicks...

My little sitter. He's a great, reliable visitor.

And this guy! (I think it's a boy)
love.gif

He's worming his little way into my heart and I'm thinking he'll be a keeper. He just better keep that sweet nature!

That's my little shoulder sitting love muffin there in the center :)

I may try to get some better photos tomorrow with the big girl camera
lol.png

cute chicks.

such a big tail at 3 weeks usually means a girl. but wait and see.

Pugly says hi. I don't think HE will be around much long sadly she decided to be a he.
1f61c.png
1f622.png
1f601.png
He's super friendly though. He will move to my step moms farm instead of my backyard soon.

I was collecting eggs last night late, so I had my head lamp on, and found a tiny baby possum scaling the inside of the run part of one of the coops (picked it up from the reflection in the eyes). This coop goes to bed early because one of them is almost blind, and I think it crawled through the automatic door before it shut, but I need to check the perimeter for gaps. Got it out with a poop bucket and shovel (serves it right) - didn't have the presence of mind to kill it. There are SO many possums and baby possums around right now, and they're also drilling lots of holes in the ground. They have yet to have any trip a trap. SUPER frustrated. :rant

Bait the traps with ripe avocados, they CANNOT resist that! Also, put cheap dried cat food out for them far away from the chicken runs, they will prefer that to the effort of eating chickens.I grew up with a heavy 'possum population around our hens, they left ours alone as long as we put out something else for them to eat. (We had avocado trees, they love that more than anything on the planet)

Back
Top Bottom