Need advice on rescuing rooster

terrilynne79

Chirping
Mar 10, 2015
Maryland
What can I do to help this rooster? He's being kept in a 2'x1-1/2' puppy crate over gravel. A water jug takes up half his space. He's never let out, has no bedding or grass. The neighbors say he's been fed only meager food scraps every few days. He seems so sweet but has stopped crowing and just lays there all alone. We live in a county that does not allow roosters. In fact, no chickens if you're on less than an acre-which this guy is. The neighbors have tried talking to him about giving him a proper shelter and care but he made no effort.

2 houses down has several hens and they are properly cared for so no one wants to get them in trouble. They've asked me to report it so it doesn't start a neighbor war-but this will get the hen owner in trouble too. The fact that he's not being fed enough to fatten him up makes us think this guy plans on fighting him. I don't know what to do besides let the hubby and kids steal him (their idea). I can keep him til I find him a better home but don't support the stealing part. Any advice??

What can I do to help this rooster? He's being kept in a 2'x1-1/2' puppy crate over gravel. A water jug takes up half his space. He's never let out, has no bedding or grass. The neighbors say he's been fed only meager food scraps every few days. He seems so sweet but has stopped crowing and just lays there all alone. We live in a county that does not allow roosters. In fact, no chickens if you're on less than an acre-which this guy is. The neighbors have tried talking to him about giving him a proper shelter and care but he made no effort.

2 houses down has several hens and they are properly cared for so no one wants to get them in trouble. They've asked me to report it so it doesn't start a neighbor war-but this will get the hen owner in trouble too. The fact that he's not being fed enough to fatten him up makes us think this guy plans on fighting him. I don't know what to do besides let the hubby and kids steal him (their idea). I can keep him til I find him a better home but don't support the stealing part. Any advice??

Well, I suppose stealing him is the only option then.
Go for it. But do it at night ! And wear masks. You’d want to get it done in seconds so no one sees you!

Ask to buy him. Tell the owner that you really like this guys coloring and you’ll give him x amount of dollars for him. Once you have him take him to your local humane society and tell them that you rescued him from someone who was under feeding him and keeping him in unsuitable conditions. Take pictures of the conditions that he is in as discreetly as possible.
I have 3 rescue bantams that came from very bad conditions and I had to buy 2 of them.

Last edited:
Ask to buy him. Tell the owner that you really like this guys coloring and you’ll give him x amount of dollars for him. Once you have him take him to your local humane society and tell them that you rescued him from someone who was under feeding him and keeping him in unsuitable conditions. Take pictures of the conditions that he is in as discreetly as possible.
I have 3 rescue bantams that came from very bad conditions and I had to buy 2 of them.

This is the best advice, in my own opinion.

Great advice! I keep checking on him because we've had heat advisories and pretty bad storms with flooding. My kids are watching how we handle this too

Could you please update us, how's the rooster? Did you "rescue" him or report it?

Back
Top Bottom