Need Help. What is 400 mg in a teaspoon. Chick meds. please.

400 milligrams is equal to 1/10 of a teaspoon (roughly)

so if you're going for 400 to 800 milligrams, you should be able to safely use the 1/8 teaspoon measurement.

of course, the best way is to get a syringe (needleless) that actually measures cc's or milligrams.

Quote:
Ohhhhhhh, i have one of those. thank you so much, that is awsome.

You're quite welcome.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ohhhhhhh, i have one of those. thank you so much, that is awsome.

You're quite welcome.
big_smile.png

On the syringe? the ml stands for mg right?

Okay, you need between 400 and 800 mg.....

400 mg=0.014109585 Oz=.085 tsp
800 mg=0.02821917 Oz=.169 tsp

So, lets take these numbers and see if we can get close to a few of the standard measuring spoons see how much to put in......

1/16 of a tsp = .0625
1/8 of a tsp = .125
1/4 of a tsp = .25

So, I think the closest would be 1/8 of a tsp. to get you within the range. So I second Punkinpeep, use your measuring spoon, hopefully you have the 1/8 tsp spoon on your ring like I do.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
NO, a mg. is not equal to a ml.
BUT, a cc is equal to a ml.
1 teaspoon is = 5 cc (or 5 ml).
REMEMBER, syringes are cc or ml (same thing), they are NOT mg.

If your medicine is 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon to equal 400 to 800 mg, then that would be:
.625 cc / ml for 400 mg. (1/8 tsp)
1.25 cc / ml for 800 mg. (1/4 tsp)

An 6.4 oz package of Terra-Vet 10 contains 38 teaspoons. If you want to treat chickens with approximately 600 mg, the entire package will do about 19 gallons. Dividing it further is as follows:
2 tspn to a Gallon
1 tspn to a 1/2 Gallon
1/2 tspn to a Quart
1/4 tspn to a Pint
1/8 tspn to a Cup

Depending upon your need and the stability of the drug (only remains stable for 24 hrs) you can make your desired amount using the ratios above.

If you're using Terra-Vet 10 to treat chickens for chronic respiratory disease (CRD air sac disease) caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli, then 400-800 mg/gal per day is the proper dosage levels (and, if so? I'd mix at 800 mg/gal ~'-)

If you're not treating CRD w/in chickens?
The dosage may be incorrect.

For certain: I wouldn't eat the eggs/birds 'til well after the withdrawal period, or use it for any longer than two weeks.

Terra-Vet 10

Mixing Instructions
6.4 OZ WILL MAKE:

100 gal containing 100 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

50 gal containing 200 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

25 gal containing 400 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

12.5 gal containing 800 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

For Chickens:

Control of chronic respiratory disease (CRD air sac disease) caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli, infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae susceptible to tetracycline hydrochloride.

CRD AIR SAC DISEASE: Use soluble powder in the drinking water at a drug level of 400-800 mg tetracycline hydrochloride per gallon per day. INFECTIOUS SYNOVITIS: Use soluble powder in the drinking water at a drug level of 200-400 mg tetracycline hydrochloride per gallon per day. (Administer for 7-14 days.)

For Turkeys:

Control of infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae; bluecomb (transmissible enteritis, corona viral enteritis) complicated by organisms susceptible to tetracycline hydrochloride.

INFECTIOUS SYNOVITIS: Use soluble powder in the drinking water at a drug level of 400 mg tetracycline hydrochloride per gallon per day. BLUECOMB: Use soluble powder in the drinking water at a drug level of tetracycline hydrochloride per gallon to provide 25 mg/pound of body weight per day in divided doses. (Administer for 7-14 days.)

Warning

Do not slaughter birds or swine for food within 4 days of treatment or calves within 5 days of treatment. A withdrawal period has not been established for this product in pre-ruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal. Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for human consumption. Do not use for more than 5 consecutive days in swine and calves, or 14 consecutive days in birds.

:: edited to reluctantly include the following calculations ::

Notice: I have NOT verified 38 teaspoons per package.
But, if that's true?

1 TABLESPOON per Gallon = 789.5 mg of active ingredient*
*to hit 800 mg/gal more exactly?
Remove 2 TBS and 2 tsp from the gallon before adding the level TBS ~'-)

Last edited:
Hi! I'm also a newbie and am having problems with my rooster and a young chick (dont know how old she is probably couple of months?). May be the MG resp. disease? Anyway I've been using Tetracycline-Duramycin for about 3 days, the closest we could figure it out was 1-1/2 tsp per gallon, but the doseage on the bag is the same as yall have stated here for the other antibiotic (400-800mg), I uped the doseage yesterday to 2tsp per gallon. Is the one I'm using as good as the one yall are discussing, and am I adding enough to the water? I'm also adding 1 capfull of Wazine wormer per gallon with the antibiotic, at the advise of a vet assistant guy that has chickens (when I called the vet). Also, I have ordered some Corid 9.6% that I haven't received yet. I am expecting to get it by Wednesday hopefully. I ordered it because while I was researching on the BYC site to find out what my chickens were getting, the symptoms seemed to match Coccidiosis the best (without blood in pooh). Can I add all these things together in the water, or should I stop something before adding the Corid? And also what about adding Apple Cider vinegar and garlic? Can I add that with the other medications or wait till I'm through with all medicine or even at all, and when you say garlic, can it be garlic powder or oil or chopped clove, I assume garlic salt? I am so at the end of my rope. Humble says it sounds like MG or the other respratory infection that starts with a "C" (Coryl???) I am so worried about my rooster and now the rest of my chickens. I have had bantams and few domineckers for about 5 yrs. and have never had this happen or any sickness like this, only predator problems as they are free range (except for these new chickens we just got).

Back
Top Bottom