Need Help. What is 400 mg in a teaspoon. Chick meds. please.

I'm struggling with this math now myself and I must say this package wins the award for WORST DIRECTIONS EVER.

After reading all of this I still don't understand how much of the water (with meds in it) do you give the chicken each day. Obviously it wont drink a gallon. If you only get it to drink a pint, is that a full dose for the day or 1/4 a dose?

After reading all of this I still don't understand how much of the water (with meds in it) do you give the chicken each day. Obviously it wont drink a gallon. If you only get it to drink a pint, is that a full dose for the day or 1/4 a dose?
There are 16 cups in a gallon= 4 quarts
2 quarts = 8 cups
1 pint = 2 cups

Not sure if this, is the answer you are looking for?

I think the confusion is will the chicken get the right amount of medication in the volume of water it consumes. Yes, it will.
The medication is "self dosing" by volume for the weight of the bird. A chicken will typically consume twice the weight in water daily that it consumes in feed weight daily.

So say I have two chickens: One is a heavy breed that consumes .50 lbs of feed and 1 lb of water daily and the other consumes .25 lbs of feed and .50 lbs of water daily. I can then dose both chickens from the same water dispenser and they will consume the appropriate amount of medication for their individual body wieght.

Fresh solutions should be dispensed every 12 hours when using galvanized water dispensers. Up to 24 hours when using non-galvanized.
Solutions are not stable for more than 24 hours.
Always provide enough medicated water solution so that your chicken(s) have water at all times during treatment.

Duramycin-10 [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]{R-17}[/FONT]
6.4 oz package (each lb contains 25g of tetracycline hydrochloride) the 6.4oz package contains 10 grams (10g) of tetracycline hydrochloride.

Infectious Synovitis: 7 – 14 days of treatment
* administer as the only source of water for the duration of the treatment.
The 400mg dosage is 1/8 teaspoon to make 10.6 ounces
The 400mg dosage is ¼ teaspoon to make 21 ounces
The 400mg dosage is 3/8 teaspoon to make 1 quart (there are 32 ounces or 4 cups of water in a quart)
The 400mg dosage is 3/4 teaspoon to make 1/2 gallon (there are 64 ounces or 8 cups of water in a half gallon)
The 400mg dosage is 1/2 Tablespoon (or 1 +1/2 teaspoons) to make a gallon (there are 128 ounces or 16 cups of water in a gallon)

CRD Air Sac disease: 7 – 14 days of treatment.
The 800mg dosage is 1/8th teaspoon to make 5.3 ounces
The 800mg dosage is ¼ teaspoon to make 10.6 ounces
The 800mg dosage is ½ teaspoon to make 21 ounces
The 800mg dosage is 3/4 teaspoon to make a quart
The 800mg dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons to make a 1/2 gallon.
The 800mg dosage is 1 Tablespoon (or 3 teaspoons) to make a gallon.

There is a 21 day withdrawal period.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Chickens—Chronic respiratory disease; or infectious synovitis: Oral,
27.5 mg per kg of body weight every twelve hours, administered
in the only source of drinking water for seven to fourteen
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]days.{R-19}
U.S.—{R-8; 19}[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Veterinary-labeled products:[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]25 grams per pound of powder (OTC) [Duramycin -10[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Chickens1
Chronic respiratory disease: Oral, 400 to 800 mg per gallon of

water {R-17} (approximately 22 to 59 mg per kg of body
weight a day {R-143}), administered in the only source of[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]drinking water. {R-17}[/FONT]

Last edited:
I think the confusion is will the chicken get the right amount of medication in the volume of water it consumes. Yes, it will.
The medication is "self dosing" by volume for the weight of the bird. A chicken will typically consume twice the weight in water daily that it consumes in feed weight daily.

So say I have two chickens: One is a heavy breed that consumes .50 lbs of feed and 1 lb of water daily and the other consumes .25 lbs of feed and .50 lbs of water daily. I can then dose both chickens from the same water dispenser and they will consume the appropriate amount of medication for their individual body wieght.

Fresh solutions should be dispensed every 12 hours when using galvanized water dispensers. Up to 24 hours when using non-galvanized.
Solutions are not stable for more than 24 hours.
Always provide enough medicated water solution so that your chicken(s) have water at all times during treatment.

Duramycin-10 [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]{R-17}[/FONT]
6.4 oz package (each lb contains 25g of tetracycline hydrochloride) the 6.4oz package contains 10 grams (10g) of tetracycline hydrochloride.

Infectious Synovitis: 7 – 14 days of treatment
* administer as the only source of water for the duration of the treatment.
The 400mg dosage is 1/8 teaspoon to make 10.6 ounces
The 400mg dosage is ¼ teaspoon to make 21 ounces
The 400mg dosage is 3/8 teaspoon to make 1 quart (there are 32 ounces or 4 cups of water in a quart)
The 400mg dosage is 3/4 teaspoon to make 1/2 gallon (there are 64 ounces or 8 cups of water in a half gallon)
The 400mg dosage is 1/2 Tablespoon (or 1 +1/2 teaspoons) to make a gallon (there are 128 ounces or 16 cups of water in a gallon)

CRD Air Sac disease: 7 – 14 days of treatment.
The 800mg dosage is 1/8th teaspoon to make 5.3 ounces
The 800mg dosage is ¼ teaspoon to make 10.6 ounces
The 800mg dosage is ½ teaspoon to make 21 ounces
The 800mg dosage is 3/4 teaspoon to make a quart
The 800mg dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons to make a 1/2 gallon.
The 800mg dosage is 1 Tablespoon (or 3 teaspoons) to make a gallon.

There is a 21 day withdrawal period.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Chickens—Chronic respiratory disease; or infectious synovitis: Oral,
27.5 mg per kg of body weight every twelve hours, administered
in the only source of drinking water for seven to fourteen
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]days.{R-19}
U.S.—{R-8; 19}[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Veterinary-labeled products:[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]25 grams per pound of powder (OTC) [Duramycin -10[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Chickens1
Chronic respiratory disease: Oral, 400 to 800 mg per gallon of

water {R-17} (approximately 22 to 59 mg per kg of body
weight a day {R-143}), administered in the only source of[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]drinking water. {R-17}[/FONT]

That's the answer I was looking for! Thank you...I am going to save this page somewhere for future reference :)

Back
Top Bottom