NEED HELP WITH COSTS>>>>>Neighbors dog killed my whole flock ....

duceedee

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Today I came home to find my flock all dead . The neighbors dog killed them all 11 layers that were soon to start laying end of June...Then 6 meat chickens that were going to be butchered May 30th. I was just getting started with chickens...had them since say old like everyone does....started in the house in brooders etc......I then built a coop, got pretty attached to these chickens....Now I have to put a price on these and I need some help....This dog killed ALL OF THEM...I will have no meat for the freezer as the 6 are dead nor will I get any egg production and they would've soon began to lay about one more month. Please I need some ideas...I know what I paid as a chick for each.....but now not so sure what I should charge. I have lots of work into this and pretty much my "little farm" is done for now wiped out gone.....we have a leash law here and they were told last week to keep that DOG chained up after it ate one of mine before......Thank you for the help I so appreciate this.....This was devastating to me and I want her to be accountable in which she said she would be...

charge her $100 per laying bird, this will accomadate the loss of the bird and the egg production it would have done as well as personal greviences . the meat birds, work out how much it would cost to buy something of that size from the supermarket and charge an extre $20 for the feeding. I realise this may sound excessive but you have just lost the entire flock and they must be held accountable for the damages. besides a good bird is worth a lot of money ( in NZ we would be talking $40-70) sorry to hear of your loss :( I hope it goes well in the future for you

http://justfowlingaround.weebly.com/chick-price-list

Check the 5 month old and older price on these birds... I wouldn't charge for "future" eggs.... or pain and suffering.... check with a local breeder for current prices.... show your neighbor the prices.... and build a better chicken house and run.... maybe electrify it.... and promise the neighbor that you will kill the dog next time it comes on your property..... Both of you have learned a valuable lesson..... You and the neighbor should live in some sort of peace...

The dog already got one of my meat chickens on the 9th she was told...the police then told her to keep the dog tied up as we have a leash law here.....SHE didnt listen......MY birds were on my property....MY meat chickens in their coop with the gate.....

Today I came home to find my flock all dead . The neighbors dog killed them all 11 layers that were soon to start laying end of June...Then 6 meat chickens that were going to be butchered May 30th. I was just getting started with chickens...had them since say old like everyone does....started in the house in brooders etc......I then built a coop, got pretty attached to these chickens....Now I have to put a price on these and I need some help....This dog killed ALL OF THEM...I will have no meat for the freezer as the 6 are dead nor will I get any egg production and they would've soon began to lay about one more month. Please I need some ideas...I know what I paid as a chick for each.....but now not so sure what I should charge. I have lots of work into this and pretty much my "little farm" is done for now wiped out gone.....we have a leash law here and they were told last week to keep that DOG chained up after it ate one of mine before......Thank you for the help I so appreciate this.....This was devastating to me and I want her to be accountable in which she said she would be...

And what happens when you replace the flock and a stray dog or coyote stops by for a meal of the next flock? My point is that you need a perimeter fence if you free range as well as a predator secure run. Replacement cost is generally the rule of thumb with losses in legal issues. I would value your losses at $100.

I sell my pullets at that age between $15 and 20 each. The meaties I would price about $15 each. Was there any damage to the coop? I would try adding another $100 for the trauma of clean-up, but if you have to take her to court, that won't fly.

You will probably end up having to shoot the dog if you get more chickens. The neighbor obviously isn't going to keep it confined.

I'm so sorry you became a member of BYC under these horrible conditions!

Welcome, and I hope you continue with us.

Good luck!

I thank each of you for your input....I actually became a member when I bought my little chicks....The good news is I have one little girl that survived she hid so well in the garage...she has a few nicks on her head...very skiddish which is expected and hasnt wanted to leave the garage at all will not come near me....but in time I hope this changes...now she is alone ....

I had a similar occurrence with a flock of Black Jersey Giants, but it was MY dog. I also had one survivor that hid under a cooler. She has become very attached to me, as her protector. Immediately go to a local feed store or whatever and get a few chicks to keep her company, she needs companionship. My Jersey pullet was 2 1/2 weeks old when this happened, and is about 3 times the size of the golden sex links and a barred rock I picked up at the local feed store. No problems at all integrating them, and now she plays mama and protector to the smaller chicks.

This is a pic of Jenny, the lone survivor. She likes to sit on my shoulder and preen my beard and eyebrows. I ordered some more JG chicks, which should deliver tomorrow.

P.S. and you better believe I made sure the dog would not be able to get in the run. I also ordered one of those electric shock collars for when I turn them out to free range the yard.

This is Jenny playing nice with her new friends. I was worried that she would kill them, but no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
And what happens when you replace the flock and a stray dog or coyote stops by for a meal of the next flock? My point is that you need a perimeter fence if you free range as well as a predator secure run. Replacement cost is generally the rule of thumb with losses in legal issues. I would value your losses at $100.
I agree. The neighbor's dog is only one predator. There are many more out there. Racoons, hawks, cats. My own dog killed my first 3 chicks. I was so upset my DH almost got rid of the dog. Not being a 'get rid of it once it's mine' sort of gal I gave both Dog and chickens another try. Some how dog figured out that chickens are friends and not play toys. I can now trust her around all my chickens even chicks. But. watch out if any pigeon lands in the yard. That bird is fair game. Good Dog!

Hi,
12.00 each is fair. Remember you are better off getting what they can afford without going to court,
otherwise you lose your payback in court cost, etc. Plus help preserve some friendliness in the
neighborhood. Plus, taking that dog to court could bring the animal rightists into your neighborhood.
Never good thing.
Ok, I took a look around the Net and BYC. Here's a thread devoted to meat birds:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/575484/how-much-does-it-cost-to-raise-a-meat-chicken
Consensus: 12.00 a bird. So I would ask for that for the meat birds. Re: the near POL pullets? Honestly, they are only near point of lay. You have no proof they would ever be laying hens. So I would price them as meat birds too because even if they never laid an egg , you could still eat them. If they had already started laying, I think that would be different. But right now, all you have lost is unrealized potential in laying. 17x12= 204. Personally, I don't think you should ask for damages for the coop cost and feeding supplies because they are reusable. Only for what you lost in the birds.

I don't know what your lot looks like , however, we built a lovely dog proof yard for our birds out of panels. It's very easy. In our township , because nothing goes into the ground, we don't need a building permit. Figure for 17 birds you need 170 sq. ft. of yard.
If your coop is 6 ft. wide, that only about 28 ft. long. If 8 ft. wide only 21 1/4 ft. long. An 8 ft. wide yard is nice because you can use 10 ft. lengths if you want to put a roof on.
1. Just make panels out of 2x4 with each 6ft. high and 5 or 6 ft. long. Use 2 1/2 inch coated decking screws to affix all lumber joints.
2. Cut 2 ft. corner braces and screw them in to stabilize the panels.
3.Put in a horizontal 2x4 board at 3 ft. height in each panel
4.Use 7/8 in crown staples in your staple gun to affix the chicken wire.
5. Use 3 ft. high wire for the top 1/2 of thepanel. Use 4 ft. wire for the bottom 1/2 of the panel, leaving a 1 ft. ovr hang at th bottom to bury in the dirt and discourage diggine varmints. Make as many of thse panels as needed to encircle your yard. Put a door in one of them big enough to admit a wheelbarrow.
6. We roof our yard to keep it dry. Put up 2x4 by10 ft. crossbeams . at needed intervals. Staple chicken wire to it.
7. Buy a tarp(s) to cover the roof. Use those red ball bungee cords looped thru tarp grommets and over a nail to hold the tarp down. The bungees will allow just enough give the tarp doesn't rip in winds. If you have an 8 ft. wide run and use 10 ft. cross beams, you cut off any over hang and use that wood as corner braces for the 4 top corners where the panels join together.
As always, without disclosing you are making a poultry yard, check with your township on fence height requirements so you can stay under them.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom