NEED HELP WITH COSTS>>>>>Neighbors dog killed my whole flock ....

That sounds just like my run! I found 6 foot wide chicken wire, so I made my panels 6' x 8'. Covered the outside with chicken wire and tied the panels to an existing welded wire fence. Roofed over with chicken wire outside, and shade cloth inside.

Today, I am stringing electric predator wire around the outside.
As far as costs go, McMurray sells 4 week old pullets for between $16-$18 each, depending on breed. Adding in what you have in feeding them up and shipping, I would ask for at least $20 each. Take a look at what replacement costs would be, forget any future egg laying status.

Y'all do know that hex "chicken wire" will not keep predators from breaking in and killing your birds, right? All "chicken wire" is good for is keeping chickens in, not any good for keeping predators out.

Yeah, my panels are tied to an existing 4 foot welded wire fence (on the outside of the panels). The chicken wire is more to keep wild birds out. The sparrows around here are gluttons, I have a hard time keeping them from eating all my dogs food!

UPDATE: Spent all day stringing electric fence wire. Feeder cable and ground rod and cable installed. Tomorrow morning, will install new junction box and fence controller, power up and see if any circuit breakers blow!

Last edited:
Yeah, my panels are tied to an existing 4 foot welded wire fence (on the outside of the panels). The chicken wire is more to keep wild birds out. The sparrows around here are gluttons, I have a hard time keeping them from eating all my dogs food!

UPDATE: Spent all day stringing electric fence wire. Feeder cable and ground rod and cable installed. Tomorrow morning, will install new junction box and fence controller, power up and see if any circuit breakers blow!

Carnivore, morning...... I'm planning to do the same when I install my coop and run.... Pictures of the "electrified" install would be helpful to me and others, I'm sure.....

Dave

Does the neighbour's dog often get out?

Here in the non gun owning UK I'd be taking it to the pound as a stray next time it stepped foot on my land, cos I'm a soft touch when it comes to destroying a healthy pet with the misfortune to have a totally irresponsible owner.

Has the dog damaged the coop/run?

Before getting any more chickens I think you need to ensure the run is totally fox/dog proof as this must have been so distressing. Sadly I don't think you can pass these costs on to your neighbour as the domestic dog is only one of a whole range of natural predators with similar chicken destroyer intentions. He's just the one that got there first.

If the hatcheries charge $20 per pullet then that's the price I think you should ask - that way you'll be able to show the neighbour a clear commercial price list/receipt on like for like replacements. Kinda keeps it all above board and civilised on your part looking on your part. If you are half as furious & upset as I suspect you are handing over a bit of paper with prices & then walking away is easier than trying to negotiate with someone you wanna scream at. the neighbour's failure to keep their dog under control on more than one occasion screams low class, and the last thing you need to be doing right now is lowering yourself to their level.

Here in the UK dog owners are legally liable for damage caused to other people's property and a smart dog owner makes sure legal cover is included in their vet insurance.

I've had electric fence around my run for the last 5 years or so now, haven't had a problem with plenty of coyotes and abandoned dogs running in my area from time to time. I think it's nice to not have to worry about most predators, even friends can stop by again with their dogs and in one zap they immediately back down and stop testing the fence. Only thing to keep an eye on is the predators with wings now, and our geese help out with those ones.

I've had electric fence around my run for the last 5 years or so now, haven't had a problem with plenty of coyotes and abandoned dogs running in my area from time to time. I think it's nice to not have to worry about most predators, even friends can stop by again with their dogs and in one zap they immediately back down and stop testing the fence. Only thing to keep an eye on is the predators with wings now, and our geese help out with those ones.

Pics of your electric set up would be nice also.....

Thanks.......

Dave

This was something I was wondering about. My run is roofed over with chicken wire and shade cloth. To prevent hawks and owls from perching on the roof, I was considering running a live wire around the perimeter of the roof. (Climbing bobcats, anyone?) I'm no electrical engineer, but it is my understanding that offenders would only get a buzz if they touched a live wire while they were grounded. Not effective for airborne pests? Or would grounding the chicken wire work?

Last edited:
This was something I was wondering about. My run is roofed over with chicken wire and shade cloth. To prevent hawks and owls from perching on the roof, I was considering running a live wire around the perimeter of the roof. (Climbing bobcats, anyone?) I'm no electrical engineer, but it is my understanding that offenders would only get a buzz if they touched a live wire while they were grounded. Not effective for airborne pests? Or would grounding the chicken wire work?

Don't electrocute the chickens......

Back
Top Bottom