NEED HELP WITH COSTS>>>>>Neighbors dog killed my whole flock ....

OK, here are the promised pics. The first pic is the run from the inside. This is an L-shaped run, this is the long leg (32' x 8'). The "panels" are 8' long x 6' high, covered with chicken wire on the outside and shade cloth on the inside. The panels are screwed to each other with 3" deck screws.

These next 2 pics are of the housing I made for the fence controller, and the fence controller itself (the black box).

This next pic is the "weak wall" under my wood shop, the one the dog keeps trying to dig under. I used insulators designed to clamp on to chain link fence.

This pic is of the back wall facing the alley, look closely and you will see a wire 6" above the ground, one 12" above the ground, one just above the 4' fence, and one at the 6' roofline. There are 2 different styles of insulators used here.

And this last pic is of the front gate (rear gate is similar) Notice the slack "jumper" between the wall and gate. I also added a 2' high plywood wall to prevent the chooks from seeing the dog. They were freaking every time he walked by.

All told, the whole installation came to about $90. And it works. My dog has made no further attempts to dig under the fence.

Last edited:
OK, here are the promised pics. The first pic is the run from the inside. This is an L-shaped run, this is the long leg (32' x 8'). The "panels" are 8' long x 6' high, covered with chicken wire on the outside and shade cloth on the inside. The panels are screwed to each other with 3" deck screws.

These next 2 pics are of the housing I made for the fence controller, and the fence controller itself (the black box).

This next pic is the "weak wall" under my wood shop, the one the dog keeps trying to dig under. I used insulators designed to clamp on to chain link fence.

This pic is of the back wall facing the alley, look closely and you will see a wire 6" above the ground, one 12" above the ground, one just above the 4' fence, and one at the 6' roofline. There are 2 different styles of insulators used here.

And this last pic is of the front gate (rear gate is similar) Notice the slack "jumper" between the wall and gate. I also added a 2' high plywood wall to prevent the chooks from seeing the dog. They were freaking every time he walked by.

All told, the whole installation came to about $90. And it works. My dog has made no further attempts to dig under the fence.

That is quite the fortification.... very nice and secure....

That is something I must do to protect my investment.... too many dogs, coyotes etc....

Thanks......

Dave

We have had that happen in the past as well. From now on we have the same at our house shoot, shovel, and shut up! I know it sounds harsh but a loose dog in the country can be problematic needless to say… I am so sorry for your loss! I feel your pain

Hi, lets start with your problem with the dogs. If there is a law that can give you an advantage use it! Leash is a law, dogs can't be roaming around freely. Laws are there to help, avoid, protect and keep things safely to all. A dog on the loose can bring problems and you just have experienced one. About your looses I recommend you go high on cost for each bird. Let me explain. You have to build facilities for those chicken. You bought get them young and raise then with effort, time, feed and medications when needed. Time was put on it just to get a result, a nice flock for meat and eggs. You counted on it and now all is lost.Is not your fault the dog killed them all but is the dog owner not to take cautions to avoid damage even when told. Now let just suppose that instead of attacking your flock they attack a child! What will be the price of it then!. Take this in consideration when filling your complaint and costs. I had the same problem some time ago. A dog killed some roosters I had for show. I spent more than $50 dollars on EACH ( feed, meds, care and time). In your case, if you are taking the case to court, I advice to go hi because the judge will take that as a starting point to arrange a satisfactory decision. Six meat producer will cost around $20 dollars each, and the eggs layers about $30 each. It might seen high but remember that they were on your property and did not invited the dog to come to your yard and killed them. You told the owner about the dog and they did nothing to resolve it. One way to teach responsibility is to make the owner pay for all the birds, your time and effort as well as a proper amount for the "problem" you didn't asked for. I do not now all the details . Maybe your neighbor is a good guy and maybe he will offer to get you your birds back( new ones), maybe ! But maybe is not a sure thing so for me I would ask $500 to arrange it. Think of the fines and laws violated by the dog's owner. They might be lower and the owner will try to deal before going to court . You have to think all this before any further action is taken. Go for $500 plus( time loss) and see where it goes from there. That will cover "pain" and suffering, loose income and will teach responsibility to the dogs owner. I have dogs and I take care and I am responsible for them and what the can do to me, my property or others property. Check if the dog have insurance. But remember one thing, no matter what you decide, do what is best for you. Did you talked to the dog's owner already? If you think it will be a problem don't do it and leave it to the proper authority. Think about tomorrow. Will it bring peace or more problems ? My closest neighbor is my first choice in case of help when needed so it has to be considered as well. Some are more than that, they are friends. See, the choice is yours. If it was me , as your neighbor , I will talk to you and give you new chickens ( or money)and fix the problem with the dog and any other that could been my fault of my dogs fault. Some people are good, some not. I consider myself to be a good one. A friend from Puerto Rico Island, USA territory, Caribbean.

Put a wire mesh on the floor(negative) and a piece on the wall(positive). Once any animal steps on the one on the floor it will be part of the "loop" of current. If it touches the wall( positive) it will get a charge! Dogs like to sniff before any attempt to enter. Use crushed pepper on the ground to deter any animal from digging. If not, there is always the ELECTRIC fence. Twelve bolts is enough to do the job without serious harm. Animals need love too!

I am sorry for your loss. I had chickens while growing up, and have recently returned to my roots. I have two dogs, a pit mix and a Shepard/wolf hybrid. The pit has adopted all of the chicks and is constantly checking on them. The hybrid has decided they are his pack.
I had let them out in one of my coops and they got out. As I was rounding them back up, the hybrid decided to help. I had one amaracauna that would not cooperate and Bear decided to get her and bring her to me. Unfortunately, chickens are not used to being carried by dogs, and the chick did not survive the trip. Bear brought me the chick and gently laid it down at my feet. Poor pup won't even go near a chicken now. He checks around their new digs and patrols the area. I feel sorry for anything that even thinks about hurting my chicks, now.

Check your state laws as well. Had the dog of our new neighbors kill two hens and our rooster last fall. Turns out the dog had killed one of their friends cats the week before, and there son neglected to tie the dog up on the day it came onto our property half a mile down the road. The neighbors apologized and disposed of the dog about an hour after I talked to them.

Here's a link to how the law is worded in Washington state. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=16.08.030

I had this problem with a neighbor's dogs..the ACO was useless. I finally called the Dept. of Agriculture in Maine. Unfortunately, I was told I could only get back the amount I had paid for the birds which was under 4 bucks a chick. My birds were established layers, just a year old, they were also part of the family, they had a coop..starting out raising chickens is pricey & an investment.. When her dog attacked another peep & the ACO & the landlord refused to do anything, I took ,matters into my own hands & bought a paint ball gun...screamed down over the hill that if I caught her dogs in my yard again I was going to shoot them (understand, I have 3 dogs of my own who are fenced in or tied up & I'd much rather shoot the person who is responsible for the dogs)I also can't hit the broad side of a barn,let alone a dog that's running away..( & no not very mature of me to be screaming at the neighbors, but I had already had more than one conversation with them regarding their dogs running loose & that wasn't working)..since my screaming fit,or maybe due to the sounds of a gun firing, I haven't had to deal with her dogs killing my birds..now I have had two birds maimed by something (one bird has been attacked twice) & I think it's my landlord's dogs..told him the same thing..so I bought two game cams and sure enough, one of his dogs has been filmed looking thru the fence to where the birds are..so far no more attacks, but I'm always on the look out..good luck

How sad and horrible. Especially since she was warned and this is the 2nd time. I think after reading some of the other replies some of them are too low monetarily. After all the work and time and cost and emotional attachment to the chickens and the cost of what you had in them , plus the cost of raising more up to the same age it needs to be higher. I just bought 4 week old chicks from McMurray and they cost me $18 and $20 each plus $77 shipping. These are not fancy chickens, just nice egg layer variety. I would not worry about keeping peace with someone that ignorant . She needs to pay for damages and I for sure would let them know if the dog runs loose again it will be the last time. Too bad because it really is not the dog's fault but you can't keep putting up with that. Not only that, if the dog killed your chickens, is it killing other people's pet dogs or cats too? Will attack other children? The dog is a menace and more problems will happen if they do not take care of it. Also, if you use chicken wire, it is useless. You need a perimeter fence and better wire on your coop.

Back
Top Bottom