NEED TO BUY A COOP!

Do you mind posting a pic of your coop Nikki1? That is awesome you live around here. We are in Kitsap County so across the water from Seattle. Glad to know you like the linoleum floor. I had seen that mentioned along with the sand. What bedding do you use in your nest boxes? 

If you go to the top of the page and type "coop in the great northwet" it should take you to my coop. Be careful to type northwet, not northwest... Particularly appropriate right now! Let me know what you think.

Really? So many people I have talked to like RIR. I was looking at RIR, broilers, Cornish and/or leghorns. Thinking this would provide me with a good variety of eggs and meaties that May or may not lay eggs.

Yes those coops do cost a lot. My husband keeps saying he can build a witchita cabin coop so I got the drawing plans for that that they provide.

I know all these questions have been asked numerous times so sorry for any repeat questions.

I love in Washington state so weather isn't too bad really just a lot of rain so would need to make sure my run is drained well. Thinking if I have it lifted off the ground that would be good and then try sand and see how well it stays with the rain are my thoughts. Yes they will free range most of the time. We have a dog so hoping she protects rather than tries to eat them. I know there are raccoons so would need to definitely keep an eye on the coop and see of it is being broken into. I want 10-12 chickens and hoping one rooster would be ok. Just not sure which breed out of those should be a rooster. I'll brood my own chicks so all the breeds will hopefully get along.

Budget is $1000 max on a coop and sounds like that is roughly what the witchita one costs after talking to them. I thought three or four nests would be enough?

Really? So many people I have talked to like RIR. I was looking at RIR, broilers, Cornish and/or leghorns. Thinking this would provide me with a good variety of eggs and meaties that May or may not lay eggs.

Yes those coops do cost a lot. My husband keeps saying he can build a witchita cabin coop so I got the drawing plans for that that they provide.

I know all these questions have been asked numerous times so sorry for any repeat questions.

I love in Washington state so weather isn't too bad really just a lot of rain so would need to make sure my run is drained well. Thinking if I have it lifted off the ground that would be good and then try sand and see how well it stays with the rain are my thoughts. Yes they will free range most of the time. We have a dog so hoping she protects rather than tries to eat them. I know there are raccoons so would need to definitely keep an eye on the coop and see of it is being broken into. I want 10-12 chickens and hoping one rooster would be ok. Just not sure which breed out of those should be a rooster. I'll brood my own chicks so all the breeds will hopefully get along.

Budget is $1000 max on a coop and sounds like that is roughly what the witchita one costs after talking to them. I thought three or four nests would be enough?
They are good birds but when I was 5 I was attacked by a RIR hen while collecting eggs. They are good egg layers / meat birds but their personality is a bit rugged and not for small children. They are a little harder to work with compared to the breeds I like because they are flighty/rugged. I prefer Orpingtons for dual purpose and Australorps for eggs. Plymouth Rocks are ok to deal with too. I like really really docile calm birds. To each his own.

3-4 per nest box is typically fine but breed dependent. I go with 4 to be safe though. Mine are broody as heck so they take up nest box space. It depends on your group of birds and I'm just cursed when it comes to this... Even if I picked a red star hen or easter egger it be the broodiest hen there ever was. The sad thing is if i pick the "broody" hens they seem avg but still.

Always ask a lot of questions, it's the best way to avoid costly mistakes.

I don't know anything about the witchita one. If I were to see it I might be able to comment on it but I know nothing. Dimensions, material, design etc. If you could post a link or something that be great. I hope it is a wonderful coop for your area. for what you want
he s
I go with 52 sq ft coop space and 156 sq ft run space (math based on 13 birds 12 hens to 1 rooster), If you weren't breeding them you could get away with more. But breeding stresses birds out a little and then the rule is 4-6 and 6 if not free ranged. This way you mitigated the stress.

Like I said before this is really like buying a car. It takes a lot of researched to not get ripped off and find the best design for your situation. Yes building is cheaper sometimes but time and life can get in the way.

Bramha's would be a good breed because they dual purpose. I'd say you get 24-36 eggs a week and they get to a decent size.

Last edited:
My brahma is a dear. Big and mellow. My favorite chicken, however, is my barred rock. She follows us around the yard like a puppy, is a voracious bug eater, and is a faithful layer of nice, large eggs. Our buff Orpington is a great layer, too, and is quiet and curious. I steered away from Rhode Island reds, because I wanted really friendly birds for my family. I'd like to have a black Australorp someday, too. They're supposed to be super layers. Easter eggers (usually labelled as americaunas at the feed stores) are a lot of fun for their colorful eggs. And or Wyandotte is beautiful, too. There are so many gorgeous birds out there, why not have a mixed flock? An added bonus is it is easy to keep track of everyone from a distance, and as all their eggs are a different shape and color, I can keep track of who is laying pretty easily.

My brahma is a dear. Big and mellow. My favorite chicken, however, is my barred rock. She follows us around the yard like a puppy, is a voracious bug eater, and is a faithful layer of nice, large eggs. Our buff Orpington is a great layer, too, and is quiet and curious. I steered away from Rhode Island reds, because I wanted really friendly birds for my family. I'd like to have a black Australorp someday, too. They're supposed to be super layers. Easter eggers (usually labelled as americaunas at the feed stores) are a lot of fun for their colorful eggs. And or Wyandotte is beautiful, too. There are so many gorgeous birds out there, why not have a mixed flock? An added bonus is it is easy to keep track of everyone from a distance, and as all their eggs are a different shape and color, I can keep track of who is laying pretty easily.
Brahma's I am hearing are also good meat birds? Are Easter eggers or buff orpington? What about cross breeding because I would like to produce my own chicks so would need a broody hen or two? Would you say a Brahma rooster would be a good choice because they are friendlier? We have three kids so friendly is a good thing :)

6x12 or 8x12 would house a good 10-12 large size birds? My brain is on overload of information right now ha!

Also how did you insulate your coop? I have seen some coops on this page not insulated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom