Neem oil for mites

Hello! Just wanted to add my input on neem oil for chickens.
I have been using it for about 6 months with great results. I haven't used it in the warm months yet so that is yet to be tested, however:
I mixed 1 part neem oil, 1 part macadamia oil and about .05 parts oregano oil and applied one drop under each wing of all my chickens. 2-3 drops under my turkey's wings. I did this once a week at night when they were roosting for 3 weeks and I did not see any mites or lice on them after those three weeks. It seems that in winter it only needs to be applied every other month or one application per month for maintenance.
For heavy infestations, I would suggest an additional drop among the tail feathers (touching the skin) as well as a drop behind the neck.

And so far my rooster is not sterile as we just hatched 14 chicks by him.
wink.png

@starlingdaly or anyone else on this thread who has used neem oil -- I wanted to resurrect this thread and see if it has been successful. I bought some today and mixed 1-1 with canola oil (per one of the posts here) and sprayed into all the crevices in the coop. I am wondering about treating the birds themselves. It sounds like I can use the same concentration? Any info most appreciated.

I use neem oil. I just use a little paint brush to do legs then spots under wings, vent and tail gland. Works fast. The hormone like substance in it confuses blood sucking pests, to the point where they can't eat or reproduce. Disturbing their breeding cycle. I do perches too like you. Then I put DE Agilme wood ash and dirt with sand in their dirt baths, so they can self medicate further.

I use neem oil. I just use a little paint brush to do legs then spots under wings, vent and tail gland. Works fast. The hormone like substance in it confuses blood sucking pests, to the point where they can't eat or reproduce. Disturbing their breeding cycle. I do perches too like you. Then I put DE Agilme wood ash and dirt with sand in their dirt baths, so they can self medicate further.

Thank you so much for this; I really appreciate it. I hope you won't mind if I ask you a couple more questions?

1. Did you use neem oil to treat an actual infestation, or do you use it regularly for preventive maintenance? In the latter case, how often do you treat your birds and coop? In the former case, how bad was the infestation?

2. When you apply it to your birds, is it pure or in a dilution? If the latter, can you say exactly what the ingredients and proportions are?

3. When you put it on the perches and elsewhere in the coop, is that pure or diluted? What concentration if the latter?

4. When you say it works fast, does that mean 24 hours? 48 hours? Longer? And how were you able to tell it was working?

I hope you won't mind all the questions; I am new to chickens and the info out there about essential oils is kind of all over the map, so I am really keen for specific experiences and recommendations. Thanks.

I use it undiluted. A little goes a long way. When I say spots with the brush, that is literal. Use tea tree or lavender with it for wood that will make it easier (as neem solidifies when cold). I spray nests with neem lavender and tea tree. Good prevention, plus they (mites) just bail out if you treat an infested bird. Don't forget neem is also antibacterial, anti fungal, antiviral as well so good for your first aid kit anyway. Also works on ticks, fleas and lice.
1f60a.png
1f495.png
1f413.png
1f495.png

Last edited:
I use it undiluted. A little goes a long way. When I say spots with the brush, that is literal. Use tea tree or lavender with it for wood that will make it easier (as neem solidifies when cold). I spray nests with neem lavender and tea tree. Good prevention, plus they (mites) just bail out if you treat an infested bird. Don't forget neem is also antibacterial, anti fungal, antiviral as well so good for your first aid kit anyway. Also works on ticks, fleas and lice.
1f60a.png
1f495.png
1f413.png
1f495.png

Thanks, Jacqudiva. I ended up putting a drop of neem oil that was very diluted in canola oil under each of their wings, but maybe I need to use more. They have some feather loss on their stomachs, and I'm not sure how long it takes them to start growing it back, so it's hard for me to tell if the neem oil is working or not. I am still new to chickens so I don't have a lot of experience with feather regrowth. I never see any mites, on them or in the coop, but they must be there if the girls are missing feathers on their stomachs.

I put Neem oil undiluted on my Orpington rooster on his severely infested areas. It killed the mites right away. I've only seen two on him a week later, which was yesterday, so I'll apply full strength again, then follow up by diluting with another oil. Really thankful there is an all natural/organic solution.

I put Neem oil undiluted on my Orpington rooster on his severely infested areas. It killed the mites right away. I've only seen two on him a week later, which was yesterday, so I'll apply full strength again, then follow up by diluting with another oil. Really thankful there is an all natural/organic solution.

Thank you for the info!

@starlingdaly
 or anyone else on this thread who has used neem oil -- I wanted to resurrect this thread and see if it has been successful. I bought some today and mixed 1-1 with canola oil (per one of the posts here) and sprayed into all the crevices in the coop. I am wondering about treating the birds themselves. It sounds like I can use the same concentration? Any info most appreciated.

Hey! So glad you found this thread! I still use neem but have done preventative treatments with less frequency because my birds have decided to hop down from their perches when I walk in the coop, no matter what time of night it is!!!
But they all have done surprisingly well despite that! I only treat my birds, i feel like it's too much work to do the whole coop but if I had a severe infestation I would probably treat surfaces in the coop too.
Don't forget you can use it as a dewormer internally as well! I am not sure how much you would have to use to affect fertility though, so if you want to hatch eggs, put off the deworming, just in case. :)

Sorry about the delayed reply... I think my BYC emails were going into my junk mail!

Back
Top Bottom