Neem oil for mites

Hey! So glad you found this thread! I still use neem but have done preventative treatments with less frequency because my birds have decided to hop down from their perches when I walk in the coop, no matter what time of night it is!!!
But they all have done surprisingly well despite that! I only treat my birds, i feel like it's too much work to do the whole coop but if I had a severe infestation I would probably treat surfaces in the coop too.
Don't forget you can use it as a dewormer internally as well! I am not sure how much you would have to use to affect fertility though, so if you want to hatch eggs, put off the deworming, just in case.
smile.png

Sorry about the delayed reply... I think my BYC emails were going into my junk mail!

Thanks, @starlingdaly ! I really appreciated the helpful info you posted.

Just put neem oil on my hens legs, small spray under each wing and by their vent, painted outside of the coop and the wood on the run! The smell is unusual I painted the roost bars but was hesitant to put too much inside due to the smell

Has anyone noticed the smell bothering the hens

Just put neem oil on my hens legs, small spray under each wing and by their vent, painted outside of the coop and the wood on the run! The smell is unusual I painted the roost bars but was hesitant to put too much inside due to the smell

Has anyone noticed the smell bothering the hens

I was worried about that too. I didn't see any evidence that it bothered them, and I treated the coop a couple of times last fall. But then again, I'm not sure I would have been able to tell if it was bothering them. They certainly didn't seem to feel unwell afterwards or anything, though. I left the coop open on both ends for the whole day after I painted the inside to let it cross ventilate and air out as much as possible before they had to go in for the night.

One thing I also did, which might have helped, was that I followed the instructions on another post here that said to dilute it 50-50 with canola oil. That's what I used to spray the wood inside the coop. I diluted it a lot more before I put a small drop under each wing.

But I should also add that I did not have a very bad infestation, so perhaps with a more severe infestation a less diluted solution is needed.

Last edited:
I was worried about that too. I didn't see any evidence that it bothered them, and I treated the coop a couple of times last fall. But then again, I'm not sure I would have been able to tell if it was bothering them. They certainly didn't seem to feel unwell afterwards or anything, though. I left the coop open on both ends for the whole day after I painted the inside to let it cross ventilate and air out as much as possible before they had to go in for the night.

One thing I also did, which might have helped, was that I followed the instructions on another post here that said to dilute it 50-50 with canola oil. That's what I used to spray the wood inside the coop. I diluted it a lot more before I put a small drop under each wing.

But I should also add that I did not have a very bad infestation, so perhaps with a more severe infestation a less diluted solution is needed.

I diluted half grape seed oil and hAlf neem with rosemary oil

Natural flea and tick shampoo and vasoline didn't do much. I know I was supposed to apply another coat of vasoline a few days later. We're in a blizzard and cant really tend to the chickens how I wanted to. I can see their legs are red/pick and slightly swollen at the base of the feet. I know it's mites, but haven't seen any so far in the coop. Seems like the more time they spend in the coop the worse their legs look. Some are worse than others. It started with my favorite chicken and within a few weeks they all have the red/pink streak and pink between their toes. uggghhh. Please tell me how to use this neem oil.

Back
Top Bottom