Neighbor dogs, what do I do?

If a pack of dogs shows up on my property behaving in a threating manner there will be a gun involved and they likely will not all leave intact......regardless of whether they attack my chickens. There is nothing legal about a pack of dogs running loose in a community. I am fortunate enough to live in the country where I have the freedom to shoot a gun.

Last edited:
Quote:
But the chicken wire won't last more than 2 years buried. It's rots very fast as it's so thin.

The same can be done with hardware cloth.. that would last longer.

As a dog trainer I would have to say, if the law wont help you............ you need to help you. Check the laws as stated. If the owner will not control them........
sad.png
sad.png

My household would go outside with a mop and beat the s&%# out of a few dogs............... (big physical display) but most people do not have the confidence or know how to to do so. Or the knowledge to do it without getting bit. SO, DONT DO that at home. If worse comes to worse, you will need to get the rifle out. That is ALWAYS my last choice but it may need to be done. If your a good shot, use something like a 243, if your not, a shot gun within 60 feet or so..... take the dog and drop it off at their house....... if you want them to know its you let them know........ otherwise, put a note on the dog that says, "the rest of the pack needs to stay home. I prefer not to kill dogs, but obviously will. keep them home"

good luck.......... hopefully they will listen and act.

Last edited:
I see a lot of post and advise...but from the op the dogs are dangerous and if you or your family feels threatened dont waste time...kill the dogs as someone said the lead dog first then down the line..kill all of them you can as in this situation retrain and reform sound like a dream....if you cant shoot find a hunter ..i know several guys who would set up a deer stand and wait on your dogs ...i had a neighbors dog come over and kill several of my chickens terrible thing and it didnt stop until i caught the dog and killed her and this was a single dog ..a pack is worse..hope you get this resolved sorry for your loss..

I have been on the other side of the problem. I had a boxer/ burmess mtn/ german shepard mix that I never saw bark at a human. She would meet the neighbor children when they got off the bus and run the austrialian shephard that stalked these kids away. Then she would play with them all the way till they got home then she would come back home. There are leash laws in my area but when I tied her up she was defensless from the other dogs. She was a power house and when she went after the shephards she sounded like a horse running. One after noon after I got up from sleeping off third shift my neighbor was at the door and said that gertie killed $100 worth of his roosters, thats all he had. I was skeptical until I saw the line of roosters that lead to my porch. I paid him and we parted as friends. He knew gertie and knew she was a good dog just stupid. That same day the neighbor next to me came down and thanked me for getting rid of so many chickens at on time because she was tired of killing them and digging hole to bury them because they pooped on her pool concrete. Now that I think about it I don't know that I could show the same restraint that he showed if some neighbors dog got after my chickens. I have all idea that the cap buster barrel would be smoken hot. I have 20 layers now and 47 chicks 7 weeks olds and have no doudt that I wouldnt think twice about shooting a dog that had in the past been trouble. Doeboy

Quote:
Absolutely agree. The longer they are in pack mode, the braver they will get. Not only your animals, but yourselves could very well be in danger. Until the police can take care of it, you need to take a weapon with you when you go out. If they are on the property and you feel threatened, start shooting. Don't let them get close enough to jump you.

Thanks everyone for the good advise.

This morning I woke up hearing those dogs in my yard again today. I keep trying to remind myself to grab a camera, but I get so angry I forget... Anyways, another chicken is gone, didnt find a body, just feathers. I called the police station and a sheriff came out, I filed a report, but I dont feel like anything will be resolved. The sheriff told me, he cant go tell him to chain up his dogs and that I have a right to protect my animals. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, I HAVE NEVER SHOT A GUN BEFORE..... It scares me... and I dont know how I feel about shooting bullets everywhere trying to hit dogs. And what if I did? What do I do with 8 huge dead dog bodies? Im not going to bury them! Even if it is just one dead dog, I would feel terrible. I just dont have the heart to do that. I know a lot of you are thinking well its your chickens or them... sitting here thinking about it, I feel like I could rip the dogs heads off with my bare hands, but when it comes down to actually doing it, I just cant see myself doing it.
Some have suggested getting big dogs for protection.. I have a dog, she just isnt big enough to take on 6-8 bigger dogs. But she does let me know when something is going on outside.
Anyways... Hopefully the sheriff was able to talk to that guy and maybe the guy will start taking it seriously.

I wouldn't want to shoot the dog dead just because the owner can't control them. (but i would if i had to)
If I were you I would get a air pistol (you can get them at Walmart) that takes BBs (i got one for Christmas and they are a LOT stronger than a regular BB gun). And every time they get close to your place I would light their butts up with that. It wont kill them but it will hurt a lot and hopefully they will learn they need to stay away.
Hope that helped and Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom