Neighbors dog in coop

You could always put up a fence. Although the neighbors are a fault for letting their dog wander, there are true accidents that happen with dog owners too. Out of my surrounding neighbors, there are 6 dogs plus my two. On very rare occasion, someone’s dog will run out the front door or slide out of a leash collar. No one purposely lets their dog wander. I installed a 6 ft fence around the area my chickens range in, because I want to keep them safe. You never know when a wandering dog will show up. Your situation is a bit different as it doesn’t seem like their dog getting in your yard is a fluke accident, but offering protection for your chickens would keep them safe in any circumstance.

This afternoon I had been sitting out on the deck, listening to music, having a drink, and enjoying the beautiful day. It was pretty hot out and I had been out for a couple of hours so I decided to come inside. Before I went in, I walked up to where my 10 littles were relaxing in the shade, dust bathing and just escaping the heat the best way they could. I always do a head count on them before I go in the house, just to make sure everyone is present and accounted for. I noticed my 5 big chickens were hanging out in the shade of our trailer.

I went inside, walked in the bedroom, turned on the tv and laid on the bed, then I heard my rooster Phillip freaking out. I have never heard him make these noises before. I looked out the window and saw him in the yard flapping and screaming. Then something caught my eye in the chicken coop, the neighbor's dog. I ran out of the house and screamed at it, ran back inside to put my shoes on, in the 2 seconds this took, the dog had come out of the coop and down by the house. In one motion I grabbed a big walking stick that I had leaning against the house, jumped off the deck and ran after the dog screaming at it the whole time. It took off running across the yard and back to it's own house. I am sure I looked like an absolute lunatic while this was happening.

When it crossed over the small path that leads from their property to ours the youngest daughter (who is maybe 10-12) got the brunt of my rage. Now let me say I know it's not her fault, she's a kid. It's not even the dogs fault. It's the tit owners who don't control their dog. We had many problems with this dog coming onto our property last year. The chickens weren't on our property then as we were just building our house and to be fair, I have not seen this dog at our place since last year (when a friend of ours chased it back while holding a 4in piece of PVC piping. And this friend is a giant bear of a man.)

Once it was back in it's yard I turned and went to check my birds. Phillip was still screaming, he was up on our deck hiding behind the bbq. I picked him up but he just panicked. I then heard one of the girls screaming down in front of the house. I went and got her and carried her back up to Phillip, he calmed down once he saw his favorite girl. Then I went back up by the coop and called for the other 3 big girls. The 2 white girls came running from under our deck and idk where Berta was hiding but she came waddling out from near the woods.

Then I had to go check the littles. I found them hiding behind a brush pile. 9/10. I counted again. 9/10. I kept counting thinking I was miss counting but no, my JG hen was missing. I walked through the woods the whole time cursing, thinking if I find her dead, she's going on their doorstep and they owe me a hen. My husband arrived home shortly after this all went down and he helped me look. Then our niece and her boyfriend showed up and they helped look too. We couldn't find her, but I also didn't see evidence anywhere of an attack, no puffs of feathers laying around.

We went in the house and after an hour or so visit with our niece and nephew-in-law we went back out and all 10 came waddling out of the woods. Everyone was present and accounted for and unharmed.

My major rage is with the owners. They never come to get the dog themselves. They always send the kids. They never have once come to apologize. This dog has been aggressive with us in the past. Now that it knows we will chase it with large objects, it doesn't get aggressive anymore, it runs. I have screamed at their kids, they haven't even come over to tell me not to speak to their kids like that! I know I should not yell at the kids but in my moment of rage from this beast being in our yard, I just lose it.

What can I do? These people don't listen and they don't get the hint. They are very irresponsible dog owners, and clearly irresponsible parents, if they allow some crazy woman to scream and their kids. We have 2 dogs, our dogs do not go in their yard. Our dogs don't leave our property. If they did I would take measures to make sure they didn't. I'm considerate like that. Our dogs don't bother our chickens. They can be our=tside laying on the deck or playing all day, we don't even put collars on them. We spent the time training them. I am just so frustrated.

Here are a couple of pictures I took of the littles just before this all went down.

View attachment 3193920View attachment 3193921View attachment 3193922View attachment 3193923
Time and again I will always tell people to get decent camera system. Not one of those ring gimiks. An honest to god surveillance system. It doesn't have to be top of the line but something with decent picture and enough hard drive space to store 2 weeks of video.

Record and keep video of every time the dog comes into your yard. Make a report to the Sheriffs department. Get a report number. In San Antonio I would make a call everytime my ex-wife would come over unannounced trying to take my daughter when it wasn't her visitation time. So when it came down to proving she was violating the divorce agreement. I presented all the case numbers and the video to go along. The judge watch only three of the videos (first three, I didn't even pick the worst ones) where she was cussing and bitching and demanding, adding that one of the stipulations was that she would not bring ANYONE with her to pick up my daughter, He right away took her visitation rights away.

Point is when it comes time to get rid of the dog, by whatever means , you will have the evidence to back you.

Time and again I will always tell people to get decent camera system. Not one of those ring gimiks. An honest to god surveillance system. It doesn't have to be top of the line but something with decent picture and enough hard drive space to store 2 weeks of video.

Record and keep video of every time the dog comes into your yard. Make a report to the Sheriffs department. Get a report number. In San Antonio I would make a call everytime my ex-wife would come over unannounced trying to take my daughter when it wasn't her visitation time. So when it came down to proving she was violating the divorce agreement. I presented all the case numbers and the video to go along. The judge watch only three of the videos (first three, I didn't even pick the worst ones) where she was cussing and bitching and demanding, adding that one of the stipulations was that she would not bring ANYONE with her to pick up my daughter, He right away took her visitation rights away.

Point is when it comes time to get rid of the dog, by whatever means , you will have the evidence to back you.
As a single father that had to fight, I love this bro.

We actually do have a surveillance system… we have yet to get it connected. It’s on a very long to do list. The cameras are out there just needs to be hooked up. I even have a coop cam but since we moved the coop is far enough away that it can’t pick up the wifi strength. Very good advice though, I appreciate it, thank you.

Check your statutues, the words you are looking for are "at large". Find out what you can LEGALLY do when a dog is at large on your property, threatening your livestock.

You may, legally, be able to do more than you are comfortable doing. You may be quite limited, legally. In which case you can decide if doing more than the law allows is a crime you are willing to pay the penalty for.

But first, you need to know the rules your area has decided to play by. Then you can make an informed decision about your options, in view of the consequences.

Check your statutues, the words you are looking for are "at large". Find out what you can LEGALLY do when a dog is at large on your property, threatening your livestock.

You may, legally, be able to do more than you are comfortable doing. You may be quite limited, legally. In which case you can decide if doing more than the law allows is a crime you are willing to pay the penalty for.

But first, you need to know the rules your area has decided to play by. Then you can make an informed decision about your options, in view of the consequences.
We are pretty limited on what we can do. Short of restraining him and calling animal control.

Below is the blurb on the municipality website:

All dogs and cats must be leashed and under control in public places. Pets who are found wandering are considered “at large” and can be apprehended by the Animal Control Officer. The owner must pay all associated fees before the animal will be returned.

If you find a dog running at large, contact Animal Control. If you can, and if you feel that it’s safe, you may be asked to restrain the dog until the Animal Control Officer arrives.

Back
Top Bottom