Nevadans?

Funny...i was just browsing my pet chicken and it clicked! Thanks to all who replied about it. please do tell....where/whom shall I purchase mine from! ;)

I have 8 chicks now (all about 4 weeks all, a couple are younger than the others)...so, I best get my couple more now versus too much of an age difference I'm thinking. Hubby is totally for it!

Don't get them from MPC...not dark eggs and the birds are small. Definitely look into the local people. :p

Nice to meet you neighbor! What age are your chickens? How long have you been raising chickens? Any advice/tips/tricks for the Sun Valley area? This is my first experience with raising chickens.
Two of my easter eggers and the 3 giants just turned 2 months old and the rest of my girls are about 1 year old. March was actually my 1 year "anniversary" of keeping chickens and I'm still learning new stuff all of the time! If your babies are still small, just keep an eye out for cats and stray dogs! I wouldn't let my girls free range pretty much until this January when I was able to fix our gate. We have a certain dog that was constantly loose and he would get into my yard and harass my girls through their run fence. I caught him one day and called animal control who said they've had numerous calls on him. I heard his people got a huge fine, so i haven't seen him in a while, lol. Also, watch for hawks and eagles! Luckily, we have lots of trees and telephone/cable wires criss crossing the chicken yard, so they don't seem to bug my girls yet. I live butt up against the mountains so I often hear and sometimes see coyotes, I'm not too worried about them because my girls get locked up at night and my pit bull does a pretty good job at keeping them away!

One of the BCM girls I hatched from SunnyDawn last Thankgiving started laying yesterday! Yay! Beautiful!
love.gif

WOW! That egg is SO much darker than the blue marans I got from you, LOL! She laid a pretty speckled one yesterday though, so I'm not disappointed :)

Maybe someday I'll get a BCM to add this dark of a color to my egg collection! I'm still hoping to get a true ameraucana and now also an olive egger. I love my light green eggs, but I'd love some dark green eggs too, LOL!

I wanted color in my flock and my eggs. I do not have anything white. DH keeps suggesting other breeds I should have and I keep telling him they're not in my hatching project so we are not going to get them. He wants to know what the olive eggers will look like and I told him they will be dark but not as dark as a FBCM. I'm very happy with my flock, it's got a great mojo thing going on. lol

Two of my easter eggers and the 3 giants just turned 2 months old and the rest of my girls are about 1 year old. March was actually my 1 year "anniversary" of keeping chickens and I'm still learning new stuff all of the time!  If your babies are still small, just keep an eye out for cats and stray dogs! I wouldn't let my girls free range pretty much until this January when I was able to fix our gate. We have a certain dog that was constantly loose and he would get into my yard and harass my girls through their run fence. I caught him one day and called animal control who said they've had numerous calls on him. I heard his people got a huge fine, so i haven't seen him in a while, lol. Also, watch for hawks and eagles!  Luckily, we have lots of trees and telephone/cable wires criss crossing the chicken yard, so they don't seem to bug my girls yet. I live butt up against the mountains so I often hear and sometimes see coyotes, I'm not too worried about them because my girls get locked up at night and my pit bull does a pretty good job at keeping them away! 

WOW! That egg is SO much darker than the blue marans I got from you, LOL! She laid a pretty speckled one yesterday though, so I'm not disappointed :) 

Maybe someday I'll get a BCM to add this dark of a color to my egg collection! I'm still hoping to get a true ameraucana and now also an olive egger. I love my light green eggs, but I'd love some dark green eggs too, LOL!

Yes! Add them! These are darker than anything I had. I'm thrilled. My Welsummers are pretty dark, but these BCMs are really nice. The golden cuckoo Marans girls I have growing out from Chickee are from decent dark eggs too. Can't wait for those and the olive eggers I got from her also. And working really hard to get a good breeding stock of blue/blue wheaten ameraucanas.

Glad your girls are doing well! Any broodies yet?

Yes! Add them! These are darker than anything I had. I'm thrilled. My Welsummers are pretty dark, but these BCMs are really nice. The golden cuckoo Marans girls I have growing out from Chickee are from decent dark eggs too. Can't wait for those and the olive eggers I got from her also. And working really hard to get a good breeding stock of blue/blue wheaten ameraucanas.

Glad your girls are doing well! Any broodies yet?
No broodies yet
hit.gif
i was so hoping to have some or even at least one! It would have been so fun to hatch some eggs under one. Maybe someday
fl.gif
I catch the wyandotte trying to sleep in the nesting boxes, but she runs away when I open the lid to collect the eggs. So, I'm not sure if she's slowly becoming broody or if she just wants a nice cozy place to sleep, lol.

I had an odd request today. One of my mom's coworkers asked if I had any black chickens, and she said yea but only one is laying. He then said, his mom wants 2 dozen eggs but only if they're laid by a black chicken..... just struck me as weird, lol.

Yes she did Kim. She also produced some show quality ones too. I gave away a rooster 3 1/2 months ago and he placed second at a poultry show. Not bad for a bird that was only 6 months old and not fully developed yet.

I have 2 broodies sitting on eggs right now. The eggs are due to hatch Friday May 9th. I have Sunny's FBCM's in there too and if I have too many I will be selling them. I also have olive eggers in there, these are F1's so they should be real pretty having that dark egg with the blue egg. I'm hoping for a somewhat golden color. The last but not least are Monique's eggs. Monique is a Barred Cuckoo Marans and she mated with Alberto my FBCM so they will now make sexed chicks. I'll know once their feathers start coming in what are boys and what are girls without waiting for a crow or an egg or the Copper coloring the boys get early.
I think I need to go visit Sunny and swipe on of her roos to add to my Davis flock.

No broodies yet:hit  i was so hoping to have some or even at least one! It would have been so fun to hatch some eggs under one. Maybe someday :fl   I catch the wyandotte trying to sleep in the nesting boxes, but she runs away when I open the lid to collect the eggs. So, I'm not sure if she's slowly becoming broody or if she just wants a nice cozy place to sleep, lol. 

I had an odd request today. One of my mom's coworkers asked if I had any black chickens, and she said yea but only one is laying. He then said, his mom wants 2 dozen eggs but only if they're laid by a black chicken..... just struck me as weird, lol.

Some people are so weird. They have no idea about chickens or eggs. Some people literally shock me and I just have to stop and stare.

How dark are your eggs? I've never actually seen one that is still only from her line, or hasn't been mixed in project pens for years. Sunny has done an awesome job. I LOVE mine from her.
I got 8s the first year. My hens are getting old and of course I lost the couple that produced the 8s. I'm trying to get a new flock all out of the Davis birds, but a 5 or 6 is my darkest now. I'll have a lot of work to do on them, but I've had eat eaters since last year. They started in Spring and I hatched out 4! Lost the cockerel, but I have one I'm trying to get accustom to being outside side, so him a a cuckoo(Hopefully Golden Cuckoo) cockerel are spending days outside. I think they're about 6 weeks, but they still aren't all feathered in. Nights are still chili. Now if I can get my Easter hatch to feather in. No Marans, but lots of bantams. Chocolate, chocolate splits and lavender and lavender split AMs and Black Mottled Japs. I only got Japs last year from broodies and now I wish these had been. Especially since I killed one. Still sick about that. But brooder babies are wussy and broodie chicks are so much tougher. Not anything though to do with me commenting chick murder. That was all me.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom