Nevadans?

Sorry to hear that. It would be easier to stop if it was vitamin related. 

Hope your GCM pullets start laying soon. I have not seen the egg color yet from my birds offspring. Liz sent a PM to say her OE pullet from my Ameraucana x GCMs just laid her first egg. I am anxiously awaiting a picture of it. It will be the first of my OE chicks to lay. 

We'll see about the BCM... :/ Really don't want to have to get rid of her.

I can't wait for all your chicks to lay either! Want to see how dark the GCM eggs are and can't wait for the olive eggs. If you get a pic will you post it? Ahhh! Hopefully only another month or so for the OE and the GCMs look like it'll happen in the next couple weeks. :fl

Just curious... is it normal for a hen with a large comb to have it be flopped over? I have a campine who has had a floppy comb since I got her but I never really thought about it until now. Hmm...

My leghorn is also pretty floppy. When she molted this winter it looked really bad and pale, but once she was past her bald miserable stage it's more bouncy and all pink again. As long as yours is healthy and has good color I'm sure it's fine. :)

My leghorn is also pretty floppy. When she molted this winter it looked really bad and pale, but once she was past her bald miserable stage it's more bouncy and all pink again. As long as yours is healthy and has good color I'm sure it's fine.
smile.png

It's not abnormal. Leghorn hens are most always flopped.

Okay, thanks!

The egg eater has a beautiful dark egg... Hope she learns. It would be a pain to keep her seperate with her own rolling nest box, but would hate too lose her. I only have 6 Sunny pullets.
hmm.png
Hi kmollyhughes - I have Sunny's BCMs and none of them are egg eaters. But I'm hearing a lot of people are having issues with egg eaters right now. I had issues a couple of years ago but fixed it when I changed the feed. I learned chickens will eat their eggs looking for Lysine and Methionine, which, is found in chicken eggs. If you change your feed that has increased levels of this amino acid then you will end egg eating. I'm feeding my flock the Swanson Farms Layer Breeder 20% because the Lysine level is 1.10% and the Methionine level is .39%. This is just my opinion and others who have also changed to this feed and the egg eating has stopped. Feathers are better on the birds as well. Again, just my opinion.

Hi kmollyhughes - I have Sunny's BCMs and none of them are egg eaters. But I'm hearing a lot of people are having issues with egg eaters right now. I had issues a couple of years ago but fixed it when I changed the feed. I learned chickens will eat their eggs looking for Lysine and Methionine, which, is found in chicken eggs. If you change your feed that has increased levels of this amino acid then you will end egg eating. I'm feeding my flock the Swanson Farms Layer Breeder 20% because the Lysine level is 1.10% and the Methionine level is .39%. This is just my opinion and others who have also changed to this feed and the egg eating has stopped. Feathers are better on the birds as well. Again, just my opinion.

None of her sisters or my other older girls are doing it. :confused: They have access to two different kinds of feed. Layer and All Flock. Free range all day. Think she picked it up right after she started laying and accidentally broke eggs. They are BIG girls, but not the most graceful. I really like them, and hopefully eventually I can hatch more from Sunnys flock. Like I said, really want to save her if I can. I'll have to check their feed tag tonight and see what's in it. Suggestions are more than welcome. :highfive: I really want to try to find an unrelated roo with super dark egg genes to put with my "Sunny girls". Just so we can hatch from our flock for fun. Sunnys babies are super big and healthy...just like chickees GCM. Love them both!

I really should count how many chickens are back there. Lol. No idea. Around 100? All different ages. Lots of mothers with babies, teenagers, layers, rowdy cockerels....okay, maybe I shouldn't count. Ha!

Last edited:
We'll see about the BCM...
hmm.png
Really don't want to have to get rid of her.

I can't wait for all your chicks to lay either! Want to see how dark the GCM eggs are and can't wait for the olive eggs. If you get a pic will you post it? Ahhh! Hopefully only another month or so for the OE and the GCMs look like it'll happen in the next couple weeks.
fl.gif
Liz just sent me a picture of the OEs egg. It is awesome! Bright, olive green! I asked her to post a picture on here for you to see it
smile.png
Can't wait to see the GCM eggs! The GCM pullets I sold to Papa Brooder started laying and he said he is happy with the color. I asked him to send a picture, but he must have forgotten to do it. Hope yours start laying soon! I think mine were 5 1/2 months old when they started.

Liz just sent me a picture of the OEs egg. It is awesome! Bright, olive green! I asked her to post a picture on here for you to see it :)   Can't wait to see the GCM eggs! The GCM pullets I sold to Papa Brooder started laying and he said he is happy with the color. I asked him to send a picture, but he must have forgotten to do it. Hope yours start laying soon! I think mine were 5 1/2 months old when they started. 

If she doesn't soon, will you pm me? I'm dying!! :drool :pop :caf :clap

Back
Top Bottom