Never ending swarming pesty FLIES!!!!!!

I've tried the jugg fly trap where you fill the milk jug with half water and a tube of attractant. It's been 4 days since I set it out and I've only caught 1 fly with it. I tried adding in another half tube of attractant and still no improvement. I don't know how other people in the post are getting theirs to work but I can tell you it doesn't always work and a big waste of money. I've resorted to using the old fashioned fly swatter but I can only do so much.

I've tried the jugg fly trap where you fill the milk jug with half water and a tube of attractant. It's been 4 days since I set it out and I've only caught 1 fly with it. I tried adding in another half tube of attractant and still no improvement. I don't know how other people in the post are getting theirs to work but I can tell you it doesn't always work and a big waste of money. I've resorted to using the old fashioned fly swatter but I can only do so much.

Can't comment on DIY versions but with the commercial versions, the more the 'attractant' heats up (need a string of hot days) and the more flyies that fall in and start decaying the better they work, it takes a little time to get rolling...

Thank you for giving me some hope:) It was a product that I bought from the store. I followed the instructions. Hopefully the flies will catch on as I wait and cross my fingers.
pop.gif

Last edited:
What kind? We have the kind that roll out and is sticky but there's so much poop it doesn't work
These
http://www.bunnings.com.au/trap-the-buzz-fly-and-wasp-trap-2-pack_p3010324

Or this is the jumbo size
http://www.bunnings.com.au/envirosafe-fly-trap-with-refill_p4475914

Notice the yellow lids. Flies are attracted to the colour. Also, you are supposed to hang them down near ground level. That's where the flies are. I want them up and out of the way, but you need to stick them low down.

As mentioned, the bait needs to get stinky to attract some flies. When you've got a few in there, others will come to join them. Something in my yard was attracting the flies, so I hung the trap, I've got about 5 cm of flies in the last couple of days.

Homemade trap advice say to bait with other things, but I find the commercial baits the best and I've never had any luck with anything I've tried to try and save money. The commercial baits stink and the flies just love them. It's like Kevin Costner said "build it and they will come". (incidentally, dogs like the baits too. My dog got into the packet, but I found out from the manufacturer it's just fruit-based "something" all-natural and not harmful. Nonetheless she never got another chance)

Homemade trap advice say to bait with other things, but I find the commercial baits the best and I've never had any luck with anything I've tried to try and save money.  The commercial baits stink and the flies just love them.

A good DIY recipe is fish emulsion, water and a little diced up raw shrimp (or other raw fish) to top it off...

A good DIY recipe is fish emulsion, water and a little diced up raw shrimp (or other raw fish) to top it off...
Thanks, I bet that will add a lovely odour to the chook run.... LOL It would be cost effective if you make fish dinners and can use your own scraps, but if you have to buy them, it probably will still cost what the baits cost. They are convenient in that you can just keep them in the shed.

It's just a constant drain of money, keeping pets. LOL

Do you have it funneled properly so the flies have a hard time getting back out? Also, where are you placing it?

I have the commercial reusable versions and I use granular fly bait(it's the only kind my store had, it's blue). I used it all of last summer and barely put a dent in the bait. I emptied the full jugs several times, and I mean straight up full of flies. Also make sure you add water as it evaporates so it doesn't dry out.

These are what I've been using:

Last edited:
Do you have it funneled properly so the flies have a hard time getting back out? Also, where are you placing it?

Hmmm, thanks I didn't think about that. I'll have to try it. However, I don't see any flies ever flying near the jug. I've placed it inside the coop on the ground, on a chair, on top of the dog house, on the table, in the sun, in the shade..pretty much everywhere. I've even tried swirling the jug around to coat to get more surface area wet with attractant and dabbing the jug opening with some duck poop. I may have to resort to filling the jug with duck poop instead. :/ Oh wait, could it be that I used an old rinsed out vinegar jug? Ugh! Will have to trade out the bottle tomorrow and give you an update:)

Hmmm, thanks I didn't think about that.  I'll have to try it.  However, I don't see any flies ever flying near the jug.  I've placed it inside the coop on the ground, on a chair, on top of the dog house, on the table, in the sun, in the shade..pretty much everywhere.  I've even tried swirling the jug around to coat to get more surface area wet with attractant and dabbing the jug opening with some duck poop.  I may have to resort to filling the jug with duck poop instead. :/ Oh wait, could it be that I used an old rinsed out vinegar jug?  Ugh!  Will have to trade out the bottle tomorrow and give you an update:)

I use store bought traps now but a setup like this works well.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/quick-and-easy-to-make-highly-effective-fly-trap/

I didn't read to see what they're using for bait but an inch or two of soda certainly gets them coming around.

Back
Top Bottom