New addition on our 11 month old unfinshed coop

Ok, got it. Looks great. I'll be referring back when I get to my windows. In a debate now whether to buy windows or make my own. I really want my windows to hinge up to use as a semi-rain shield so I want to build but DH wants to buy. Couldn't find any old windows on craigslist or restore store. So dont want to highjack your thread, build is coming along nicely and its a good inspiration for me.

I got ya. I built long overhangs to help keep water out. I wanted functioning windows but do to cost I will be doing things a little bit different on the new framed opening in the addition. I mentioned it in another thread but wont go into the detail here till I get to them.lol

Scott

We only painted the outside and I probable could scape it off with my finger nail still if I pushed hard enough. But that pic is about 1 year old and we have hail and heavy rain. so it still is great. Of course the birds never get up there to peck at it either. I'll try in get some pictures of the inside. I only have trimmed one window inside but I am close to having the pieces built to trim the rest. I think you all will get a kick out that. I'll get pics tomorrow.

But as far as the outside I am quite happy with how the colors held up and how it has stuck and would do it that way again. A big pet peeve of mine it seeing log cabins and wood sided house were people used white windows. Of course I was not going to put Andersons in the coop even though I have a new extra one sitting in the shed.lol

On HC I used rustoleum paint in a can and same thing as the windows it can be scratched off. But I don't let my chickens up there. I'll post pics in the morning when I have light. and So far it is just like I painted it. I'd love to do this on the run but I'm thinking automotive paint and clear coat.
Scott

Last edited:
Well I got around to getting some plywood hung up inside the coop. Samantha is currently filling all the seams, screw holes, corners and blemishes. She is using bondo. It dries fast and is easily sanded with a orbital sander. I have decided to add a ceiling. I have noticed black dots of gunk that the chickens sling upward. I'm figure right now I'm six panels away from walking it there with a garden hose spraying and scrubbing it clean if I want to. Right now I don't feel that the painted osb will hold up doing that a whole lot. Especially where the nails for the shingles have came threw the osb.

Scott

Not a lot to look at but I'll try in get some outside pics up soon.......

This is the gable wall we moved. I have framed in a area for some louvered vents and HC. These vents I'm planning to leave open year round since there going to be a 1.5" from the ceiling............

great work, I love to watch people build from the ground up.

My father used to build a lot but small things, picnic tables, work benches and cabinets for his toys, a couple dog crates and table & top grooming area with drawers for one of the crates. He wasn't a pro but, he did pretty good work/ I was so fascinated to see what could be done.

I am subscribing to this thread -

Well I do not work construction for a job but I'd love too. At least I think. I have always worked as a auto and boat technician. I have a very busy year of building in the works. Still a run for this coop, just starting a shelter on here for our 2 new lgd dogs and hopefully a nice little house with a pond for Samantha's 2 geese and 2 more coming in April. Plus I'm determined to finish this coop and have a fair amount of work ahead.

Tomorrow I am working on the dog house again. As soon as I see Samantha getting close to being finished I am going to town to get some 1/4" plywood for the ceiling. Then a little more filling and cutting and then we will be to paint inside. We are happy we decided to add this sq ft to the coop. The girls are clucking away in and out inspecting all the work and singing away.

Scott

. I'm figure right now I'm six panels away from walking it there with a garden hose spraying and scrubbing it clean if I want to.
Oh, please don't do that...hopefully you're kidding/venting.

"I have noticed black dots of gunk that the chickens sling upward."
Are you sure those aren't 'fly specks'?

IMO......Chickens are not for the 'compulsively clean'.

Quote: I will still have the eve;s venting into something like a register or louvered style , gable vents (there framed in and will be a louvered style),4 widows (in old coop ), other poop and vent in back (framed)and a cupola. I don't see how that any different with a ceiling or not? Other than the vents into the eves will be near the eves and hot air would travel up the cavities created by the rafters. I wouldn't think that would radiate heat real bad threw 1'4" plywood but then there would always be the louvered vents in the gables that will be within 1.5" of the ceiling. Also to explain in the last picture you see this 10' wide addition. The rafter were bird mouth notched to keep the rood the same as the 8' wide area of the coop not pictured. This creates a almost flat spot that comes out @ 10-12". In each cavity I can cut a hole in the ceiling and install a louvered cover similar to a register vent. I had only planed to do every other hole but you comment has me worried now so I guess ever one could have a vent in the cavities.

I really just want to be able to hose stuff of once a year or maybe every other year. Then say in 5 years if I need to touch up paint, I could see that and it would be easy.

do you really still think its a bad idea?

Scott

Due to a busy week last week things were delayed but Samantha was able to get some time in painting and applying bondo inside. The singles finally showed up so I was able to get them installed and a gutter on the front side to redirect water off that side of the roof. To keep it out of the run and out from under the coop.

Scott

A pic inside.........( gable wall will have louvered vent installed left and right, right side is painted green)

shingles and gutter front side of the roof...........

Shingles Back side of the roof (please excuse the mess were under construction all around like the firewood shed to the right being convert to a dry wood storage with living quarters for our soon to be 2 lgd dogs)..............

And of course another one of out newest girls. I'm really liking the colors on all of them except the boring RIR...............................

Back
Top Bottom