NEW BYC Breeders Directory! - Submit your info!

I'm curious can they sell them locally without it?

Yes. Selling eggs within state line without a pullorum test is totally legal. Basically, the laws for shipping eggs vary by state, but every one requires a pullorum test on the parent flock to bring eggs, chicks or birds into the state... So this only applies to inter-state commerce. Many now require an avian flu test or just NPIP. A few places (I don't recall which) require additional testing, especially for live birds instead of eggs. An NPIP certificate makes it legal to ship to most places in the US. (It's also just a really good idea.)

Yes. Selling eggs within state line without a pullorum test is totally legal. Basically, the laws for shipping eggs vary by state, but every one requires a pullorum test on the parent flock to bring eggs, chicks or birds into the state... So this only applies to inter-state commerce. Many now require an avian flu test or just NPIP. A few places (I don't recall which) require additional testing, especially for live birds instead of eggs. An NPIP certificate makes it legal to ship to most places in the US. (It's also just a really good idea.)

Thanks for the input. We want to get NPIP but need more room. We are hoping to purchase a bigger property next year and then plan to get certified. :)

This is some really good info I did not know that you had to have this done prior to shipping eggs and live birds out of state. I have yet to to ship because my flock only consists of two birds but soon as we (my husband and I) get our land back we will start a bigger flock. I am going to try and breed some different breeds to get the best of both. Such as the general Orpington wit the red sex links to hopefully bring out the sexlinks egg laying capabilities and the Orpingtons gentle nature making a calmer egg laying chicken. Or a silky with the reds to hopefully incorporate the broodiness of the silky and the gentle nature into a bird that will lay more. Not to mention a color change lol.

Dumb question, but where can we find the new directory?
hide.gif

In CA, or at least my county of SLO, you can sell your eggs and meat chickens (processed) at local farmers markets and advertised on CL if you claim to be a "Family owned and run farm" so that means that we do not have to go through the process of USDA or Health Inspectors as long as we can prove that the family are the only ones that care for them, and no outside sources are hired or used for processing or general care, other than a vet of course.

As for breeding, what exactly is required to be considered a breeder? I have a meat bird project going on to obtain a more sustainable and healthy breed of meaty bird that does not grow as fast, and that does not acquire the classic degenerating health problems, yet will be an exceptional hearty breeder and egg layer...... If I am self proclaimed, does that count?

Last edited:
Check your State or
Commonwealth laws for egg and bird intra or interstate movement and selling. It varies by State
NPIP is a voluntary program. One doesn't have to join if they don't want too. The problem with some states like the Commonwealth of PA is that they have added all kinds of extra regs to the basic NPIP which makes it very hard and costly to NPIP a program.
Best,
Karen

Check your State or

Commonwealth laws for egg and bird intra or interstate movement and selling. It varies by State
 NPIP is a voluntary program. One doesn't have to join if they don't want too. The problem with some states like the Commonwealth of PA is that they have added all kinds of extra regs to the basic NPIP which makes it very hard and costly to NPIP a program.
 Best,
 Karen

X2

Most states do require at least a Pullorum/Typhoid test by a State Vet or a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection and AI free...

Some even include MS or MG, but these vary from state to state...

Yeah, in Ohio NPIP is Pullorum/typhoid and AI... Which is what you need to ship to most states. In general selling within your own state is OK... Because the problem isn't usually the chickens that are already there, but other people's birds with diseases coming in. So it's not the selling part, it's the moving viable birds and eggs into a new state. You could give them away for free across state lines and that's illegal too.

In CA, or at least my county of SLO, you can sell your eggs and meat chickens (processed) at local farmers markets and advertised on CL if you claim to be a "Family owned and run farm" so that means that we do not have to go through the process of USDA or Health Inspectors as long as we can prove that the family are the only ones that care for them, and no outside sources are hired or used for processing or general care, other than a vet of course.

As for breeding, what exactly is required to be considered a breeder? I have a meat bird project going on to obtain a more sustainable and healthy breed of meaty bird that does not grow as fast, and that does not acquire the classic degenerating health problems, yet will be an exceptional hearty breeder and egg layer...... If I am self proclaimed, does that count?

That's a food regulation, not really related to live birds or hatching eggs for breeders. In Ohio we also have a law that says we can sell eggs and chickens (up to 1000 carcasses) for food without inspection. That's a completely different set of regulations than live, viable, hatching eggs, live adult birds and chicks. You can't apply food laws to avian disease prevention regulations any more than you can apply laws regulating cooling of beef to live cows. It's a bit of an apples to oranges situation. Especially since unwashed and unrefrigerated eggs are technically illegal to sell as a food product (I think everywhere in the US), so any fertilized eggs sold as food in the USA are 9/10 times rendered unviable from the cold. I mean, you could hatch them but so few would hatch out from it and so few people would bother with less viable eggs from who-knows-what kind of birds anyhow that it's not as big of a risk.

Especially since unwashed and unrefrigerated eggs are technically illegal to sell as a food product (I think everywhere in the US), so any fertilized eggs sold as food in the USA are 9/10 times rendered unviable from the cold. I mean, you could hatch them but so few would hatch out from it and so few people would bother with less viable eggs from who-knows-what kind of birds anyhow that it's not as big of a risk.
[/quote]

Actually, there are many people who hatch out refrigerated, fertilized, store bought eggs quite often... there's at least one thread about it, TJ's challenge or something similar... since the most well known fertilized store eggs are found in many Trader Joe's...

Ronott1 hatches them on a regular basis... with great hatch %'s...

Dumb question, but where can we find the new directory?
hide.gif
@Ren2014 we're going to put the new directory together and post it here as soon as we get enough breeder submissions to make up more than a skeleton. They are trickling in slowly, but surely, so I'm hoping it will be SOON
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom