NEW BYC Breeders Directory! - Submit your info!

As for breeding, what exactly is required to be considered a breeder? I have a meat bird project going on to obtain a more sustainable and healthy breed of meaty bird that does not grow as fast, and that does not acquire the classic degenerating health problems, yet will be an exceptional hearty breeder and egg layer...... If I am self proclaimed, does that count?
You'd get different opinions on what defines a breeder, depending on who you ask, but for this directory, we cast the net to include anyone that sells birds, or hatching eggs. We prefer sellers of known breeds, but if we have members selling project birds, we can accommodate them as well.

The goal of this directory is to have a place where everyone selling birds/fertile eggs are listed and members looking to buy birds, or eggs for hatching, can skim through the list and easily find sellers in their state, or sellers of their desired breed(s).

Sorry to jump the line a bit. But, I am looking for a breeder of proven show quality Silkies (preferably white) and/or Buff Laced Polish. I can find birds and eggs locally, but 99% are standard hatchery stock that people are playing off of good quality. You can contact me via private message so we don't take up any more unnecessary space on this post.

Also, how long does it usually take to get NPIP certified? I am working to get my flock certified, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Especially since unwashed and unrefrigerated eggs are technically illegal to sell as a food product (I think everywhere in the US), so any fertilized eggs sold as food in the USA are 9/10 times rendered unviable from the cold. I mean, you could hatch them but so few would hatch out from it and so few people would bother with less viable eggs from who-knows-what kind of birds anyhow that it's not as big of a risk.

Actually, there are many people who hatch out refrigerated, fertilized, store bought eggs quite often... there's at least one thread about it, TJ's challenge or something similar... since the most well known fertilized store eggs are found in many Trader Joe's...

Ronott1 hatches them on a regular basis... with great hatch %'s...[/quote]

Hi Ravyn, the quote bar did not quite work on this post.

Yes refrigerated fertile eggs hatch really well. TJ's or your own. Watch the age of both and let them warm up to room temperature. Egg cartons are labeled for the date and they can be real fresh.

Last edited:
Interesting. Still, the point was that food regulations are different than livestock regulations and shouldn't be compared. Also, those laws are in place for a VERY good reason. It's a terrible idea to try to bypass them. It could result in a massive disease outbreak in poultry across the country and mass cullings of whole entire flocks.

Interesting. Still, the point was that food regulations are different than livestock regulations and shouldn't be compared. Also, those laws are in place for a VERY good reason. It's a terrible idea to try to bypass them. It could result in a massive disease outbreak in poultry across the country and mass cullings of whole entire flocks.

Completely agree.

You'd get different opinions on what defines a breeder, depending on who you ask, but for this directory, we cast the net to include anyone that sells birds, or hatching eggs. We prefer sellers of known breeds, but if we have members selling project birds, we can accommodate them as well.

The goal of this directory is to have a place where everyone selling birds/fertile eggs are listed and members looking to buy birds, or eggs for hatching, can skim through the list and easily find sellers in their state, or sellers of their desired breed(s).
Thank you for answering my question~ The "project" includes a meat breed, but will be crossed out with other Large DP Fowl to create a more hearty bred bird that can endure open pastured/free ranged and although not going to be "recognized" by any association it would still have been bred for a purpose.

Would this be something allowed in the registry? If so, what would the requirements be to sell hatching eggs of these on this registry? Would I have to have a sort of license or registration through my state?

You would want to check your state laws about selling hatching eggs or live chickens within your state. Most states don't have any laws on it. To bring live birds or viable hatching eggs into other states (or to ship them there) most states require a pullorum/typhoid test and an avian influenza clean. In most states this is what an NPIP certification is.

Last edited:
We are live! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1129376/byc-breeders-directory/0_30
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom