New Call Duck Colors... what do you think?

Quote:
That good advise is so old that Call breeders have a saying for it :You build the barn before you worry how to paint it! Most of the colors can be had but the exotic colors usually are a long way from meeting Call TYPE.

Quote:
I loved Dogwood Acres for their work on plain faced Muscovies. Instead of producing the Standard Muscovy (that often looks like they suffer from face cancer) their plain faced muscovies just had a cute little mask around the eyes. I lost track of them years ago when they both had sick parents and they were both emergency med techs and spending lots of time training to get certified as such. I just tried the old email address I had for them with no luck. They were great waterfowl breeders that didn't think the Standards were the only thing.

Well, I hope because Kate has quit Posting that she does not Quit reading this post. Kate, you could solve some of this by saying you are not only developing a new color but a new breed of duck. It WAS developed using the Call duck. As in Lavender Silkies which are also called Self Blue by some you could call your Duck Breed The Blue Beauchemin. There is ALSO a saying "Work on Progress, Not Perfection"

Kate - I've never seen lavendar/lilac calls before. Actually, the only lavender/lilac bird I've seen is holderreads american lavender geese - in pics only! Do you have any other pics of your lavender ducks, maybe in some natural light? I'm guessing pics don't do these birds justice - it seems like the lavender doesn't quite come through.

Like you had originally asked for, anyone with pics of lav/lilac's - could you please post them? I'd really like to see the different versions.

I know, well really nothing about breeding ducks. But your colors are really pretty, and you could defiantly sells some. you have really beautiful ducks!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I don't recall her asking for a critique, merely had a color question.
Had she said, " Please critique the type and conformation of my birds", different story...
I didn"t say he was a "meanie" at all, I just don"t see the need to discourage new varieties.
If you're such a purist that you think there is no room for new varieties, maybe Call ducks aren"t for you.

I think NYREDS posts very much speaks to their coloring as well as their type. It would seem from her posts that they have just let the colors run together and the different colored ducks are a result of those breedings. That is how I read it anyway. You can't develop a new color that way. Developing a new color in any bird takes many generations of selective breeding...knowing what birds came from which parent stock and tracking them thru many generations till they consistantly breed true for a color. Birds that come from willy nilly breeding can and will throw different colors of offspring. I'm sure he would welcome new color varieties as long as they have been developed accordlingly and meet the APA standard for call ducks.Do you have any idea of what it takes to set a new APA Standard ? I am a little rusty myself but it is something like 5 breeders for 5 years plus a approved draft Standard To set a qualifying meet and at the qualifying meet there must be 50 birds that in the opinion of the judge basically meet that draft standard. Then you submit the standard to the APA if approved someone must pay for the color picture (not photo) and the copyright on the Standard and the picture must be turned over to the APA!
I have searched the website of the National Call Breeders of America that does allow non Standard colors at their show and found no mention of Lilac or Laviner (sp) so no luck there. Btw this is a nice club their newsletters alone used to be worth the dues fee IMHO ~gd

I never said I have anything against new color varieties....altho I will say my white calls are still my favorites.....just that it takes much more than just putting all your colors in a pen together and calling the resulting ducklings this color or that.

Quote:
I think NYREDS posts very much speaks to their coloring as well as their type. It would seem from her posts that they have just let the colors run together and the different colored ducks are a result of those breedings. That is how I read it anyway. You can't develop a new color that way. Developing a new color in any bird takes many generations of selective breeding...knowing what birds came from which parent stock and tracking them thru many generations till they consistantly breed true for a color. Birds that come from willy nilly breeding can and will throw different colors of offspring. I'm sure he would welcome new color varieties as long as they have been developed accordlingly and meet the APA standard for call ducks.Do you have any idea of what it takes to set a new APA Standard ? I am a little rusty myself but it is something like 5 breeders for 5 years plus a approved draft Standard To set a qualifying meet and at the qualifying meet there must be 50 birds that in the opinion of the judge basically meet that draft standard. Then you submit the standard to the APA if approved someone must pay for the color picture (not photo) and the copyright on the Standard and the picture must be turned over to the APA!
I have searched the website of the National Call Breeders of America that does allow non Standard colors at their show and found no mention of Lilac or Laviner (sp) so no luck there. Btw this is a nice club their newsletters alone used to be worth the dues fee IMHO ~gd

I never said I have anything against new color varieties....altho I will say my white calls are still my favorites.....just that it takes much more than just putting all your colors in a pen together and calling the resulting ducklings this color or that.

Yep, I'm aware of what it takes to get a new color admitted......I said I'm sure NYREDS would welcome a new color as long as it was developed accordlingly and meets the standard......

I am still reading and awaiting information/pics of lavender/lilac/splash colors.

Dogwood acres email doesn't work either. They have the lilac CALLS on their site with pictures. They also have a silver which looks alot like my little "lavendar splash hen." They call them call ducks because the originate from 2 call duck parents. I'll contact them outside the internet.

I am not discouraged by any of the comments, i don't have to explain myself or really feel the need to. I merely asked if anyone had seen these colors before.

I posted some pics of my blue fawn color aracauna hens, that i purchased thinking they may have a 'proper name for the color' or ideas of breeding these to my Blue Copper maran, and getting beautiful blue colored olive eggers. I got 2 comments out of maybe 20, that had to deal with my color question. I know how forums work, and if the two answers dealt with my question the other 18 not dealing with my question really had no relavence to the topic, It's a free country and people can say what they like.

I don't have control over what people say or do, only how I react to them. :) Respect. I could have very easily take the offensive and just tell everyone to keep their comments to themselves unless it has to deal with my color question. But i've seen it on other forums where 8 pages has gone by and the question has not been answered and alot of bickering has arose. Pointless to be offensive myself. Having to shift through meaningless pages for information i asked for.

But for this continually perpetuating post, I will for, YOUR ALL sake, define my every motive of my FUTURE breeding plan, like i said in my originial post. This is MY topic. If you want to talk about my "so-called call ducks and what you don't like about them and who's got the best..." PRESS, Start New Topic :) And post there. "People who think Kate's Ducks are crap" I'm sure you will get alot of people that agree with you. And frankly, I prolly wouldn't read it as it STILL DOESN"T pertain to the color information i asked for.

Now some history for those who'd like to have the knowledge of what i'm trying to do:
When my family first starting buying calls ducks, we started out with a few COLORS. We found that when we had chocolate calls and blue fawn calls together, we found out there were 4 different colored babies which we compared to GERMAN research. The 2 non-common colors were: 25% blue self bibbed males (meaning any blues out of these PURE bred call parents ARE boys). 25% Lilac bibbed FEMALES, no males will be lilac in this generation. 25% Black self bibbed MALE, 25% chocolate self bibbed Female. These are the research results of a GERMAN study, I am taking their STUDY, and making my own research based on their genetics calculator to see if it is true. And it HELD 100% true in our breeding for our 2nd generation. All chocolates were females, the one black we got was male. And the only lilac we got was female. We had no Blues this batch.

Now starting with the 2nd generation with this new lilac color, breeding back to a chocolate drake maybe for all the nahsayers, to a HIGH QUALITY championship winning A+ type chocolate call drake, then percentage of lilac goes up to 50% ratio when mated back with chocolate drake of pure breeding. 50% chocolate bibbed, 50% lilac bibbed, and only those colors. No more black or blue bibbed in the next generation. And both chocolate and lilac can be male or female. The lilac male I have, i don't know what his history is but according to my hundreds of hours of research there are a few possbilities, but i won't explain them on here. Since I'm starting with a new color of CALLS from our stock, not the ones i just picked up. I never said i wasn't open to bring in SQ stock to make perfect SQ calls with perfect confirmation and with a new color, if i was out for major bucks i would do that, i am not, maybe i should be. I'm performing some research to see if what they said was true instead saying it must be true because it was proven by someone else. Calls + Calls still equals Calls, not chickens.

The black bibbed, through more research will only produce a blue or black when mated to any other color we have, which is not part of what i want to do. (but we did get alot of black babies this year from 1 black bibbed drake) But Kuddos to the black bibbed calls at 2010 nationals for being mutts from SQ parents or grand parents or great-grand parents and one of them was white, the SCANDEL of it all! Sorry having too much fun and I have a migraine now :)

Now with the 3rd generation and continuing migraine: Taking the lilac hen (Whose genetic make up is this M+M+ Li+Li+ Ee+ bl+bl+ C+C+ B+B+ r+r+ d- Bu+-, for those of you keeping track)
If I were to breed it back to a chocolate now... 100% chocolate offspring. Weird, oh yes I know. So dead end for me. We'd have to bring in new stock non-related with the same background and breeding to get the Lilac male to breed to lilac hen.

But if i had another Lilac drake from a new 2nd generation NON-RELATED (which NOW I think I do, as to MY COLOR LILAC HEN):
25% chocolate self bibbed H&D (hens and drakes) possible. 25% lavender (splash) self bibbed H&D (NO PICS ANYHERE!!!), 50% Lilac self bibbed H&D. The lilac is still 50% but the chocolate gene is down to 25%. And what to do with lavender???????? (i'm not that far with their reseach because all the thinking makes my head hurt, BUT I WILL!)

Now I can take one of the Lilac self bibbed CALL hens (all show quality by this point, mind you), or lavendar splash and mix with what... to get this to breed true lilac call ducks.

Do you see where I am at now? If noone has ever seen a lavendar splash or black splash (where is that from?), or posted a picture about them, or done some continual breeding, then how can they say they don't exist? Or under a different color name? Or came from BEI??? Or are alien calls transplanted here to mess with me!!! LOL
(Motrin kicking now, yhewwww)

Well no one said they don't exist, no one has said nothing relevant to what splash looks like. I have 2 mystery hens that in chicken color terms are deemed SPLASH. Are mine Splash? I guess I will have to wait for someone who has the 3rd generation of breeding, or get there myself this spring.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, NOW you all know my diabolical scheme to make 100& bred true lilac call ducks, that WILL BE SHOW QUALITY in 10 years and I'll blow you all away with their beauty!!!

And if you support me I may give you a break on the hatching eggs. Just leave your name and number after the beep. BEEEP!

It's been entertaining. Now can we all play nice now???? (I'll get a pic of my sis' lilac (what we are calling it and Germany is calling it)) and compare it to the drake I have for fun. The little call ducks in my incubator are telling me to JUST WAIT LADY until we come out, cause I might be surprised.

Peace, blessings, and Motrin to you all.

Nice explanation(not that you should have had to give it) for your "diabolical plan".
big_smile.png

I, for one, can't WAIT to see your new ducklings!
wee.gif

Looks to me like maybe you've done just a TAD of research, there. Wow, who would have thunk it?
roll.png

Lavendar/Lilac Beauchemin Calls? Has a nice ring to it...

Back
Top Bottom