New chicken pen out of pallets

chicken pen where??? i don't see one i see a FORTRESS!!! nice job! you might want to put some chicken wire along the bottom boards though if you have mink they could get though thoes cracks. I had one get though 1 by 2 inch wire. Still great idea! I would never need that much walling but i love the small little covers you made for the hens to run over!

Quote:
Very interesting ... but my neighbors would be marching towards my house with pitch forks and burning torches.
lau.gif
gig.gif

No really!

Lol...
Exactly why I don't live in a subdivision.... I do live in neighborhood. We all have between 3 acres to 10 acre lots. Couple people on my road have chickens and goats.. The new neighbor just got a jackass for some strange reason...lol...

Quote:
Is your coop large enough for more than four birds?
BTW the pallets look like a fox ladder
lau.gif
gig.gif

All kidding aside, what other predators do you have?

Quote:
Thanks.. Yes I plan on running chicken wire around the bottom. I wanted it high enough I could walk in it after I put some sort of cover over the top...

Quote:
Is your coop large enough for more than four birds?
BTW the pallets look like a fox ladder
lau.gif
gig.gif

All kidding aside, what other predators do you have?

Yes my coop is big enough for around 6 to 7 birds. But I might build another smaller coop to house few more than that number if I wont more than that. I had 9 birds at one time. Some where small birds and they didn't seem to have a problem with the coop size. And yes a fox ladder it is..lol.. Same as any other fence. Fox's go over and under about anything to get a chicken. But with the help of a dog and electric fence I will add should do the trick. I have coyotes,fox,bobcats,raccoons,opossums,about any breed of hawk you can come up with. I know cause I hunt deer behind my house and have seen all of the above.

My two cents worth would be to put field wire or chicken wire over the top to keep the climbers out! I put both. Well, my husband put the field wire and left town and I went back and put chicken wire over that. I am all about just in case!

And the pallets do make a fortress. My first thought was that you could not SEE your chickens....but if you make windows in it that will solve that problem.

I keep telling my DH that if we could find pallets I could build more.....and he says, oh but you can find them....he just has not done it yet!

Back
Top Bottom