New coop and run post/question on fencing for chickens & cat

That's a good thought but as long as ur coop is secure u shouldn't have a problem as I have had chickens for over a year and nothing got in and I even let the windows open sometimes but they have chicken wire over them as I don't really know if it would be easier to work with as dog kennels have doors in them to allow u to open and close as needed instead of climbing over the fence but I guess u could put in a gate but that just adds to the cost as then hardware cloth and chicken wire is expensive for how big of a run you are wanting to build when u could take two or more large dog kennels that have been used for probably cheaper

Oh and also for the cat one since it would be more a daytime/free access hangout than a full time thing do you think the HC matters as much? Though i guess I'd need it if i put any other animal in and I'd rather be safe I guess
I wouldn't really think you would need it but instead of buying another dog kennel for that I would just use the hardware cloth or chicken wire and make a small fenced in area

Thanks so much for all your help! I think you're right that getting dog kennels would be cheaper so I'll definitely keep looking! And yeah, I think I'll definitely build something for the cat a d probably skip the extra wire on it.

And thank you for looking! Though there is no second link on the last post.

Thanks again

If you do your run completely out of HC (which makes sense to me), just make sure it is adequately supported with your posts.

I am building a 8x16' raised coop and am going to attach a hoop-style run using cattle panels overlaid with HC and a wooden base. I'm still considering whether or not I want to bury 18" of HC around the perimeter or just "floor" the run with a larger mesh wire since I plan on doing deep litter method anyway. Right now flooring it with wire (attached to the wood base) is winning over digging a trench in frozen ground...

Oh and also for the cat one since it would be more a daytime/free access hangout than a full time thing do you think the HC matters as much? Though i guess I'd need it if i put any other animal in and I'd rather be safe I guess

Cats will climb out of a fenced area. Enclosing it on top would probably be the least expensive route? For a larger area you could use something like Purrfect fence or coyote rollers--I've looked into these options because I do cat rescue and eventually I'm going to need some outdoor sanctuary space for those that aren't adoptable and need outdoor access.

I'll definitely make it's secure!

And oh I like that idea of making the floor, seems much easier hahah digging in frozen ground is definitely a no go lol

As for the cat thing, yeah I was definitely thinking of roofing it but not sure what with. Coyote rollers seem like a cool idea though but i wouldn't know where to get them plus I plan on having tall furniture and stuff so she could probably jump over so I think I'll just put a roof on it.

[quote name="KDOGG331" url="/t/1081599/new-coop-and-run-post-question-on-fencing-for-chickens-cat/10#post_16549749". Coyote rollers seem like a cool idea though but i wouldn't know where to get them[/quote]

You can buy them pre-made or make them yourself out of two sizes of PVC pipe and a tension wire. The roof will be easier and probably cheaper. :)

Oops sorry I forgot to get the pics I will just get them in the morning if I think about it or at least sometime tomarrow

That's okay! Get them whenever you can :)

[quote name="KDOGG331" url="/t/1081599/new-coop-and-run-post-question-on-fencing-for-chickens-cat/10#post_16549749". Coyote rollers seem like a cool idea though but i wouldn't know where to get them

You can buy them pre-made or make them yourself out of two sizes of PVC pipe and a tension wire. The roof will be easier and probably cheaper. :)[/quote]

Thanks for the info! Didn't realize I could make them myself. But yeah will probably go with a roof

Back
Top Bottom