New Country Organics Layer feed

winkyfaye

Chirping
Feb 8, 2016
Robbinsville, NC
The last 2 bags of New Country Organics layer feed has been different. Pale and seems like it has more powder or empty shells of the grain. I called the company and gave them the Lot #. I was told that it was fresh and the reason for the paler color was that they had used gold split peas instead of green. It still seems "off" to me. Just wondering if anyone else that feeds this to their chickens has noticed a difference. I am going to the co-op today for feed and taking the lot # with me. If they still have the same I will probably get something different. Thanks for any input.

I’ve been feeding NCO to my hens, but all the left-over yellow peas (that they avoid) have convinced me to switch to a crumble to make sure they have a balanced diet. Right now they’re eating only the “good” parts of the NCO feed, which means they’re losing out on some protein.

I switched to whole grain because them seem to waste so much of the crumble and they really do not like pellets. I agree about them missing some of the protein. I have some mung beans sprouting to give them. I looked into mixing my own, but way out of my price range and expertise.

We buy NGO feed. We soak our feed. They seem to like it better that way. We used to feed the whole grain feed, but all the corn and peas got left on the ground. So we started going with the "cracked" layer feed, but then switched everyone to the grower broiler with oyster shell on the side because our birds just look better when they are eating a higher protein feed.

Back
Top Bottom