New Ducks, help ID

They are all some of favorite breeds(I have all three of them), our runner is a drake so I'm not sure about eggs, but he is very friendly and funny!

lol yeah I suppose.  Not that the runners are amazing at anything in particular (meat egg wise) is the buff or welsh particularly good?

The two bottom ducks (in the pictures) they both stood about the same, really upright.  I have heard that Indian runners are very very comical ducks

Runner ducks are supposed to be excellent egg layers. As are welsh harlequins.
My duck books list
Runners- lay rate: 200 + year (best pest control breed)
Welsh harlequin : 240-330 per year ( top 3 egg layer breeds)
Buff Orpington; 150-220 per year (all purpose breed)

Wow, i knew i always wanted Indian runners. I hope they are friendly, our Muscovy's do not like to be pet or held or basically anyone near them lol.

Wonder if Indian runners are good at flea control?

Wow, i knew i always wanted Indian runners. I hope they are friendly, our Muscovy's do not like to be pet or held or basically anyone near them lol.

Wonder if Indian runners are good at flea control?
I have 10 runner ducks- 4 weeks old . They are so friendly. When i sit out with them they all pile up on my legs or as close as they can get to me.
Sweet as can be

That is going to make my wife so happy hahah. We are going to handle these ducklings a lot to make sure they are friendly

Yep thats what i did. My husband thought i was crazy. But every single day since they arrived i have spent time sitting with them. Usually an hour in the evenings. But now that they are without a heat lamp i usually do it during the daylight now. But i hand feed treats and sit on the ground so they can come to me. They really like people.
1f642.png

They follow us all over the yard too

Hahah that's so awesome I can't wait. When can we give them "treats" and what kind. They are still skittish (but I'm assuming only a few days old).

I told her to go ahead and put a towel on her lap and let all three of them sit on her while she pets them

Hahah that's so awesome I can't wait. When can we give them "treats" and what kind. They are still skittish (but I'm assuming only a few days old).

I told her to go ahead and put a towel on her lap and let all three of them sit on her while she pets them

Yep best to start with the holding and petting right away.
As long as they have a bowl of dirt or chick grit you can start with treats right away.
I buy dried mealworms and for the first week i smash them up for them.
They love them. I figure ducklings in the wild get to eat whatever little bugs they find starting right away.
I usually put them in their water at first to get them interested . Once they know they love them i start offering it from my hand.
Now at 4 weeks mine go crazy when they hear the mealworm bag! Haha :)

The top one looks exactly like my Welsh Harlequin ducklings. I'm not sure about the other two. They sure are cute though. =)

Back
Top Bottom