New Here. New Chicken Owner. Aggrevated.

Owl Creek

Chirping
Dec 26, 2022
New here. Aggravated with the confusion. I am reading here that some of you are using Purina Flock Raiser with your mixed flocks and not having any issues. I have a small flock of 7 hens; about a year, one pullet and one rooster both about 5 months.

5 Buff Orpington
3 Barred
Rooster is a Buff/Bard Mix

(We lost his father rooster in Sept)

I am feeding Flock Raiser now to all with oyster shell and grit on the side. The get cry little scratch mixed in 2 times a week. They are in a coop with (2) 12x36 runs, one off each side. They can come and go as they please. I’ve given them things to climb on and treat stations for the Poultry cake treats.

I have noticed two things; the poop looks “grainy” in some instances. The second thing is the youngest pullet seems to shed little pieces of pinkish material a couple times every week.

She seems fine otherwise. A vet came out last month and did a flock assessment and said was intestinal lining. $500 for a visit and assessment. Said the runs were beautiful and what they like to see with backyard flocks that cannot free range.

I’m worried I’m giving them too much protein or not doing something right here. I clean the coop and run multiple times a week. I bring the water in each night and clean and refill. I add vitamins and probiotics to the water a couple times a week.

I am 1 year into chickens and am worried I’m doing something wrong. Am I paying too much attention to their poop, noticing every little change?

Sounds like intestinal shedding- normal. The grainy poop may be the treats, or may be just the bird or something else. Try giving either scratch or poultry cake as a rare treat, maybe once a week and see if poop is less grainy.
Check the size of grit. chick grit is too small for juveniles and adults.
Do you have poop boards? Are they eating anything from them?
You are doing great with the commercial feed. There are diff % of protein among brands, but IMHO 17-20% is fine. Of course if the flock is mixed with chicks, juveniles and adults then a 20% is recommended for all- just give less treats.

You got this!! Good luck

New here. Aggravated with the confusion. I am reading here that some of you are using Purina Flock Raiser with your mixed flocks and not having any issues. I have a small flock of 7 hens; about a year, one pullet and one rooster both about 5 months.

5 Buff Orpington
3 Barred

I am feeding Flock Raiser now to all with oyster shell and grit on the side. The get cry little scratch mixed in 2 times a week. They are in a coop with (2) 12x36 runs, one off each side. They can come and go as they please. I’ve given them things to climb on and treat stations for the Poultry cake treats.

I have noticed two things; the poop looks “grainy” in some instances. The second thing is the youngest pullet seems to shed little pieces of pinkish material a couple times every week.

She seems fine otherwise. A vet came out last month and did a flock assessment and said was intestinal lining. $500 for a visit and assessment. Said the runs were beautiful and what they like to see with backyard flocks that cannot free range.

I’m worried I’m giving them too much protein or not doing something right here. I clean the coop and run multiple times a week. I bring the water in each night and clean and refill. I add vitamins and probiotics to the water a couple times a week.

I am 1 year into chickens and am worried I’m doing something wrong. Am I paying too much attention to their poop, noticing every little change?
Regarding vitamins, use it for illness otherwise your feed is adequate.

Regarding probiotics, there is nothing wrong with offering it but you should have a plain waterer at the same time free choice.

Or give greek yogurt as a treat. Not sure that daily is necessary though. Anyone doing yogurt want to weight in on how much/how often? seems like it would promote fat…?

Sounds as if you may be 'over worrying'. I'd listen to the professional you just paid $500.

Thanks lol I try to convince myself that nothing is wrong and they’re fine. I think the coccidia that killed my roo has me a little over cautious. I didn’t even know what that was until it was too late. That why I had the vet come after I treated with corrid and was able to prevent any other deaths.

You need to cut out the probiotics and vitamins, unless they are having 'real' health issues, it isn't necessary. Plain water is good enough.
I agree with @sourland

I will keep fresh water only and add the boosters if needed. Thank you

Sounds like intestinal shedding- normal. The grainy poop may be the treats, or may be just the bird or something else. Try giving either scratch or poultry cake as a rare treat, maybe once a week and see if poop is less grainy.
Check the size of grit. chick grit is too small for juveniles and adults.
Do you have poop boards? Are they eating anything from them?
You are doing great with the commercial feed. There are diff % of protein among brands, but IMHO 17-20% is fine. Of course if the flock is mixed with chicks, juveniles and adults then a 20% is recommended for all- just give less treats.

You got this!! Good luck

Thanks; just want to be sure I am not doing too much, which I read here that I may actually be doing more harm than good.

Regarding vitamins, use it for illness otherwise your feed is adequate.

Regarding probiotics, there is nothing wrong with offering it but you should have a plain waterer at the same time free choice.

Or give greek yogurt as a treat. Not sure that daily is necessary though. Anyone doing yogurt want to weight in on how much/how often? seems like it would promote fat…?

Thank you. They do not get treats often. Only a couple times a week. Usually blueberries and greens. The scratch I offer when really cold and only before bed. I’ll keep the water plain. Their water is always fresh every morning. I clean the waterers daily.

5 Buff Orpington
3 Barred

First of all, you should probably use layer pellets. Second, I believe that "mixed" flocks are those that have other types of poultry mixed in, such geese or ducks. I wouldn't feed them just flock raiser. Third it sounds like there aren't any real issues with your chickens.

First of all, you should probably use layer pellets. Second, I believe that "mixed" flocks are those that have other types of poultry mixed in, such geese or ducks. I wouldn't feed them just flock raiser.
Flock raiser is appropriate feed for all genders and ages of poultry (hence the name). Layer pellets are okay with all laying hens, but OP has a cockerel and there is some potential for organ damage with increased calcium intake over time.

Flock raiser is appropriate feed for all genders and ages of poultry (hence the name). Layer pellets are okay with all laying hens, but OP has a cockerel and there is some potential for organ damage with increased calcium intake over time.
I have fed my roosters layer pellets with the girls for 10 years without issues. I have had 17 roosters before. The ones that passed were due to old age or other reasons.

I have fed my roosters layer pellets with the girls for 10 years without issues. I have had 17 roosters before. The ones that passed were due to old age or other reasons.
Then you have just been lucky. Plus most of the damage caused by calcium isn't visible unless you actually cut the bird open and look at the organs.

I've had way more roosters than you, and while I've never lost a male specifically to too much calcium, I have noticed the damage on the older males. That was part of the reason I stopped offering layer feed all together

Back
Top Bottom