New Jersey

Hey guys!! Missed y'all while I was away! My babies got soooooo big in just four days I can't believe it!!! Marsie is doing ok so far. She's not leaving the coop to go in the run though. Maybe it's too cold for her, especially with her being younger than we originally thought. She seems perfectly comfy in her coop though, we do have it heated to about 55-65 degrees. She's eating and drinking and pooping well. Seems happy to see us, loves to be handled and petted.
I got my first talon scratch today, I shldnt have been cuddling the babies with shorts on, very sharp now!
I do have a question about the babies. They are losing feathers and there are spiky things popping up, we assume they are new feathers. They don't like to be pet on those spots anymore, are they uncomfortable?? Plus they seem like they are getting naughty, they don't settle down as easily, and more flighty. They do settle down to cuddle after a minute, but not as easily as before. It's almost like they are going through terrible twos. Should I worry or is this normal?

Glad to be back!

Totally normal. The spiky things are new feathers just as you thought. The new ones grow in covered in a sheath that will eventually break off. My polish chicken looked hysterical when her long head feathers were growing in. They stuck out in all directions in long spikes. I don't think
the new feathers are necessarily uncomfortable. I think its probably like when you rub our hair in the wrong direction. Annoying.

Our chicks always went thru the same "terrible two's". They're no longer afraid or unsure of their new surroundings and feel much more adventurous. Ready to explore their world and discover their new little personalities! So cute!

Where did you go, anywhere fun?

just got a pair of bantam white Leghorns from Bill Sandoe, pair of columbian Wyndotte LF, a pair of Bantam Langshans, a Shamo hen, 3 more sumatra LF hens and 1 more amazing sumatra bantam male!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its only 11 more!

just got a pair of bantam white Leghorns from Bill Sandoe, pair of columbian Wyndotte LF, a pair of Bantam Langshans, a Shamo hen, 3 more sumatra LF hens and 1 more amazing sumatra bantam male!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its only 11 more!
Lol. Yeah it's only 11 more. Just like when my chicks came in October. I said, oh they are so small, don't worry.
So, my EE's last two eggs have had some thin, white spots on them. Is this too much calcium, or not enough?
I have one hen that lays an egg covered in white dots n splotches. I thought the same, but she's the only one. It's possible they are over eating calcium. Is it free choice? Does it look like this?

Last edited:
Yes, except there are a lot less spots. Mine spots are tiny and are a thin layer of calcium. My Silkie also laid an egg with a bump thin on the point, and her egg today also had a weird top, except the bump was barley there. I don't give mine calcium supplements like oyster shells, because my eggs are pretty strong and it didn't seem like they needed it. How could she be getting too much then? Could it be treats?

Yes, except there are a lot less spots. Mine spots are tiny and are a thin layer of calcium. My Silkie also laid an egg with a bump thin on the point, and her egg today also had a weird top, except the bump was barley there. I don't give mine calcium supplements like oyster shells, because my eggs are pretty strong and it didn't seem like they needed it. How could she be getting too much then? Could it be treats?

Ae you giving too much leafy greens? They have a lot of calcium. I don't know what else it could be.

Mine dont eat greens.... What other foods are high in calcium? Here's what's reacts they have had this week:
Corn (a favorite)
Mealworms
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Corn bread
A medley of cheese, rice, and broccoli
Cucumber
Papaya
Banana
It is only my EE. My Silkie laid the funky egg, but my Orpington's eggs are fine...

Back
Top Bottom