New Jersey

This is the assortment of eggs I get from my chickens. No need to dye eggs this Easter. :)

Hello, I was wondering if there was anyone in the Paulsboro area. We are getting ready to put our run in and I was wondering about predators in this area. We just wanted to know if anyone was having specific predators and what we can do to be proactive against them. We are planning on a rather good size L shaped enclosed run for our four hens Half with aFiberglass roof and half with a wire roof.
Also where we are planning the run, we will have to enclose to miniature crabapple trees, Is this a bad idea or will the fruit (almost berry size) that drops be ok for the hens. Thanks so much, I cant wait to be more active in this thread when our little ones arrive. :)
Have a great day,
Lauren

I would only get a rooster if I found a quieter one that needed a home. Even if he does crow, there's nothing the neighbors can do about it.
smile.png
They are all annoying, so I don't care if it bothers them. The people behind me probably wouldn't even hear it between their son's garage band, their ever playing radio, and their three constantly barking dogs.
hmm.png
Well as of right now I have to splash amer. cockerels. I may be keeping one since as of now they are quiet. I could keep him with the blue, blk & splash girl and get blue & splash chicks. I guess I'm just being too nice with my neighbors.

Hello, I was wondering if there was anyone in the Paulsboro area. We are getting ready to put our run in and I was wondering about predators in this area. We just wanted to know if anyone was having specific predators and what we can do to be proactive against them. We are planning on a rather good size L shaped enclosed run for our four hens Half with aFiberglass roof and half with a wire roof.
Also where we are planning the run, we will have to enclose to miniature crabapple trees, Is this a bad idea or will the fruit (almost berry size) that drops be ok for the hens. Thanks so much, I cant wait to be more active in this thread when our little ones arrive. :)
Have a great day,
Lauren

Welcome!! You need to secure your run as if you DO have predators. Cats, raccoons, opossums, fox and even coyote are all around urban and suburban areas. Most of us can tell you of a loss or too. I had a loss to a hawk just a few weeks ago. Do what you can to protect them.

I would research the toxicity of the variety of crab apple it is. Apple seeds can be toxic to Chickens but I don't know about the crabapple.

Also where we are planning the run, we will have to enclose to miniature crabapple trees, Is this a bad idea or will the fruit (almost berry size) that drops be ok for the hens. Thanks so much, I cant wait to be more active in this thread when our little ones arrive. :

Delete double post. iPhone is fussy

Last edited:
Have a great day,
Lauren

You are only a few minutes from my town (Moorestown, NJ), and there ARE definitely hawks and possums! We made our run all with chicken wire and wood - in a year, nothing has got into it. I let the chickens free range the backyard if I am home and can keep an ear/eye out. (We lost a silkie last week to a hawk during free range though.
hit.gif
) I don't know about the crab apples. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom