Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
As stated in the newsletter (link was missing, I know) we've added a more robust "Mark As Read" feature on the forum.

The previous system was very basic and didn't work as well as some of us would have wanted. The problem is that proper "mark as read" features are often big resource hogs (imagine tracking every post that every member has read or not read and when the read it PHEW).

We were reluctant to add this feature but now that we've made some server upgrades (thanks to those of you who support the forum with Bumper sticker and Store purchases) we're hoping that we can support a better "Mark As Read" system.

Here is how it works:

You login to the forum and every topic that has a new post since your last visit will be bold and have a little chick marking that it hasn't been read. For example, check out the Recent Posts Page.

As you click on a topic and navigate back to one of the other pages the topic will be marked as read.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you logoff or if you remain inactive for over 60 minutes all the posts that were new BEFORE you logged off or BEFORE you went idle will automatically be marked as read. Fortunately any new posts that people make AFTER you logged off or AFTER you went idle will be marked as new.

We hope you enjoy a bit of an easier reading / forum experience!

Hey! It works good in the forums. Can you make it work in the index also?

Thanks for adding this feature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smile.png

Sandy

Sounds like a great idea. We are patiently waiting for our 4 new egg layers ( they arrive Thurs.) and have no intentions on using them for meat. Knowing that I'll have more eggs than I normally have, I would love ideas on how to cook more with them, etc. There are only so many quiches one can eat! :eek:

Thanks!

Quote:
Unfotunately this was a known issue going in. The "Recent Topic" list on the index page is a modification, so the "mark as read" modification wasn't designed to work with this other mod.

We're looking into it.
smile.png

I LOVE the mark as read feature.

Another idea perhaps - some kind of icon if there is a picture on that thread. (I'm always looking at pics!)

Thanks for all your hard work!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom