New Neighbors = pit bull = dead chickens

rajzwaibel

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
We recently had new neighbors move in. They have a sheep dog looking thing and a pit bull. Apparently this morning they busted through the wooden fence, knocking one of the boards out. The pit bull proceeded to literally tear the metal wire away from the gate and kill all of our chickens while the sheepdog ran around our yard in circles.

These were my 8 year olds pets, and he sold eggs to earn his money for things.

Now I have to break it to him.

Crap.

I am so sorry. Please take pictures and document what happened. Your neighbors should reimburse you financially for all of your losses.

I know that doesn't help your son at all.
hugs.gif

We live in Oregon. Animal control said they may have to take the dog anyway, regardless if we file anything or not, because pit bulls may be a flagged breed.

I'm just glad Zach wasn't home, or he very well could have been attacked to trying to protect his chickens.

Sorry for your loss! Bad dogs... Stupid Owners!

First, try being really nice to them and explain what happened. Ask them if they would mind paying for your loss. If not, I would file a police report just so it's documented. Take pictures of the damages if you can to show them.

If they shrug it off I would be prepared for when they come back. I say when because they'll be back.

Quote:
I m sure they will. If a pit bull is involved animal control usually takes the dog and may not return it to the owners. I am sorry for your loss.

Oh Im so sorry. This same thing happened to us. As bgates1990 said, they WILL be back if you don't do something about it. Im so glad your son was not home, mine were at school as well.
hugs.gif

It just breaks my heart when a property owner is traumatized by the inconsideration of dog owners that allow their dogs to roam free outside their own property. (To all the dog owners that spend the time, love and care to train and provide boundary fencing not included!)

I had an incidence just last week where the neighbor's dog that lives behind us had allowed his dog to free roam on everyone's property (2 1/2 acre parcels). Neighbors had complained to the dog owner. The dog was harassing the horses.

It wasnt until the dog stole through our fencing and crossed onto our property trapping a silkie hen in his mouth and yanking a mouthful of tail feathers and spraining her leg that we just exploded.

Four of us tore out the house (it happened in our backyard) and confronted the man and woman. Their reply, "Isnt YOUR fence up?!"

Outraged husband (and he doesnt even like chickens) "KEEP YOUR DOG ON YOUR property!"

"Oh ... Im sorry."
KEEP YOUR DOG ON YOUR PROPERTY! He got one of our chickens!"

"But we were having friends over."

"KEEP YOUR DOG ON YOUR PROPERTY! Next time it crosses onto our property you wont see it anymore!"

Sad to say animal control does nothing. They give the dog back to the owner and says nicely "Now now... keep your dog on your property."

So now my husband has loaded the little 22caliber rifle in case the dog again trespasses. There will be no next time after that.

with sympathy, Barb

We talked to them first. Well, the wife anyway; the husband wasn't home. We weren't aggressive, and she seemed genuinely regretful. We weren't planning on filing any official charges, but we wanted to make sure it was documented officially in case the pit bull is involved in anything else.

When I was a kid, one time the neighbors dog came onto our property and started chasing the horses. My dad just shot it on the spot. Can't really do that now in my situation though.

Back
Top Bottom