New puppy dying of Parvo... (BOWEL MOVEMENT PICTURES WARNING)

I pray the puppy makes it through this. It is such a sad thing.

I would like to take this opportunity to encourage anyone with dogs or cats to consider a low cost health insurance policy for them. I bought one for my dog 1 1/2 years ago. People laughed at me. Three months after the insurance purchase Leo started having seizures. The insurance paid an awful lot of money for diagnostic tests with a doggie neurologist. Now Leo has 2 tumors that are being surgically removed in 3 weeks. The vet informed me that the sugery would be about $450. It felt so good to say, "No problem. Make the appointment." One incident like the OP is talking about could pay for years worth of premiums. Many policies even cover routine care like vaccinations, prescriptions, teeth cleaning, heartworm tests, heartworm pills, frontline, spay/neuter and microchipping. I figure that what they have paid so covers over 6 years worth of premiums. The people that laughed at me ain't laughing anymore.

Quote:
What brand of insurance are you carrying? I looked into it for my 5 dogs and my 4 birds and it worked out to a couple hundred a month. Does it pay out better than human health insurance? My "great insurance plan" for myself was a joke
roll.png

Quote:
What brand of insurance are you carrying? I looked into it for my 5 dogs and my 4 birds and it worked out to a couple hundred a month. Does it pay out better than human health insurance? My "great insurance plan" for myself was a joke
roll.png

I got a policy with PetFirst Healthcare. So far, there have been no issues with them paying. It's a reimbursement type policy. I pay and they reimburse. So a person could dip into their savings or use a credit card and get the money back. One of their people told me once that occasionally exceptions are made to pay the vet directly if the bill is very large and the vet is willing to wait on the cash. I have never had to wait more than 2 weeks for reimbursement after sending them a receipt and claim form. I agree that the cost of insuring so many might be too expensive. This particular company does have multiple pet discounts though.

He is doing the right thing with beef broth, I have saved several dogs from parvo with chicken broth, and Kaopectate. The broth keeps the dogs hydrated and gives them some nutrition. The Kaopectate cuts down on the intestinal bleeding and throwing back up of the broth. You should also add vitamins to the mixture.

I will just say it is unwise to post medical advice, or use any advice which you have not received from a veterinarian if you have a seriously ill animal.

Parvo virus is serious, the photo of the bowel movement posted is VERY CONCERNING to me, combined with the inappetence of the puppy as well.

I hope the OP is at the vet with the puppy right now.

You can spray and clean all areas, inside and out, with 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water. Do not feel alone, I adopted a shelter puppy (actually 2 separate pups from 2 separate shelters) a few years back and both had parvo. No I did not get them at the same time. I adopted the first parvo puppy ( white german shepherd cross) in 1993 and had to put it down within 5 days. Befoe getting another dog from the shelter, I had to bleach all areas where the puppy had been inside and out.

In 2004, after my divorce, I adopted another puppy from another Humane Society and it also had parvo. This pup did live with a lot of love and care and daily trips to the Vet for treatment.

Sorry for your loss and I understand thoroughly.

Quote:
There used to be a program through Petfinder that offered a month's free insurance if you adopted a pet advertised on their site. I had a horrible time losing my first dog to a traffic accident a month after I adopted her. We'd rushed her to the Kansas State veterinary hospital so the bill was sky high, but thanks to that policy I was able to have her examined by excellent vets, and put to sleep. I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't for the policy.

Now we have too many dogs to feasibly insure all of them. I don't want to insure just a couple for fear of jinxing the other three. Our quote was over $200 a month. However, for fewer pets it is certainly worthwhile. The ASPCA offer a reasonable policy.

Another option is to have a 'rainy day fund'. It is hard to save, especially at the moment, but even $25 a month makes a difference.

Quote:
get that poor dog to the VET!
th.gif

we had a hound who we got as an 8 week old puppy who had parvo BEFORE we brought her home, we didn't know it, but she was very sick from day one.

Parvovirus has a 7-14 day incubation in the dogs body, they can be just peachy, then all of a sudden, they drop like fly.

Cheyenne had very bad "wormy" looking diarrhea for the first two days, after about day three of her being home, she started vommiting clear fluid, thats when we decided vet time, her parvo test was positive, they gave us two options, put her down or treat,we opted treat, 450$ and about 2 weeks later she was happy and healthy.

if the vets are willing to take the time, they CAN save her!

Back
Top Bottom