New puppy dying of Parvo... (BOWEL MOVEMENT PICTURES WARNING)

OK I'll get her started on the Albon too.

I started giving her small amounts of honey to boost her blood sugar, and an enema of Pedialyte with a dash of sea salt (found several veterinary websites recommending that for parvo puppies).

She's actually started urinating again, twice in the last 5 hours. She's so good about all her poking and prodding, it's breaking my heart. I hope she knows I'm not trying to punish her.

First I want to offer
hugs.gif
I know how hard parvo can be. It sounds like you are giving your all to save this pup and I commend you for that. I understand that it can be very expensive as well and these times are tough for most of us.
I have delt with many parvo puppies working at the vet for 9 years. The most important thing is to keep her hydrated. Do not give any orange juice or broth. Putting anything like that in the stomach is a no no. Only plain pedialyte. If you can not get lactated ringers (our feed store sales them too) to give sub-Q fluids, then give plain pedialyte orally. She only needs a few table spoons every few hours. If she is urinating that is great! To prevent hypoglycemia rub kayro syrup inside her mouth and on her tongue or mix a little with the pedialyte. Stop the pepto, it does contain asprin and will increase bleeding. Parvo is a virus that destroys the lining of the intestines that is why there is blood and mucos in the stool. You do not want to thin the blood causing more blood loss. Do not offer any type of food (even bland) until she has not vomited for 24-48 hours, then start VERY slow, by only giving her a teaspoon of something bland every 2 hours being sure she holds it down. If you force any type of "food" too early it will set her back even further. Even if she acts hunger... go slow.

I wouldn't give any Albon or worry about any of that right now. The stool looks like a parvo puppy stool, it is dark because of the pepto.

The Vet's I worked with said that no matter what Parvo is a virus and must run it's course, the only thing you can do is keep the puppy hydrated. Also the vet can give a shot to help slow down the vomitting if your pup starts to vomit again.

Last edited:
She was doing great this morning, walking around unassisted, making a small but solid bowel movement, drinking on her own repeatedly and sniffing her food.

I went out for an hour and came back. She was laying out on the floor not breathing but I felt a faint heart beat. We rushed her down the street to the vet near me.

She went into cardiac arrest and could not be revived. The vet thinks she had a blood clot and it caused a heart attack.

The vet tech was getting my paperwork together and discussed the cremation with me. It was $95 and she goes "It's going to be $95." The woman behind me snidely goes "Heh, must be nice to get a vet bill like that, you should switch with me." At which point I reeled around and said "Yes, please, let's switch. I paid over $1000 to try to save my dog and she just died in my arms. Still want to switch?" She shut up at that point.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your puppy. I've lost one to this disease and it's heart breaking. Good luck with your other dogs.

Back
Top Bottom