New Red Golden Sanctuary.....building a new home for my trio...What do ya think ... P.S. thanks chic

Here's a little step by step pics.First the base is set,2 16x16built 7'10" apart and then joined together.Next I added some aboratives(which died within 2 months),then filled base with 4"of washed masonry sand,added the framing then the roofing and doors and finally the hardware cloth and then the birds.Housed in these pens are temmincks,impeyans,cheers,brown eareds,and saytrs.I should have the other 4 pens complete by next weekend if the weather cooperates.These 4 pens will house eliots,humes,swinhoe,and blue eareds.I may replace the cheers with lewis silvers as I have only 2 male cheers.I want to have all the birds in their new pens all set up for breeding season before the new year.This will give them time to adjust to their new surroundings and hopefully they will be comfortable for nesting.
Anyone know where I can purchase a cheer hen or 2?
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
I had 22-6x12x8 pens first.I tore these down so we could build our home.I waited 8 years before I could build this.We built a new house so all the money was tied up.After I got started it only took a week from start to finish.I did have help putting the top on and the metal roofing.The doors I got from my dad,he was throwing them out and said I would take them.And wouldn't you know it,there was 8 of them,just enough to do all the pens,except for the outside door which will be a solid door.
I do have a truck and I used my brothers 16' trailer which is very handy to have access to.I think I've used more then he.
The wife said no more pens,but I may wait until the 6x12 start to fall apart and build more 8x16 there.Which may be awhile because 7 of them are fairly new while the other 8 are at least 20 years old.I moved the original 8 here from my parents house and they were a few years old then.
In N.H.,Tony.

wow sounds like you had a week off from work...man I wish I had longer days I could get more done...I feel like im not getting anything done...last door about to go in

Those paslode co2 nailers are the best.No air compressor or air lines in the way,just nail and go.The wire takes a little time,and 100 foot roll is kinda heavy.
When I say a week that;s not a week straight.A few hours one day and a few hours a few more days,strecthed out over a week.If you think about it,there is not much to a pen when your supports are 8' apart.I even double framed the sides for more strength.
In N.H.,Tony.

I finally figured out.These are the 8x16x10.I haven't taken pics of the new ones that are to the right of this pen.
In N.H.,Tony.
Nice pens.... Thanks for the advice Tony I will take further precautions. gonna have tarp over most exposed wire...bottom is all pallets 3' up. I have 1" Hex on my chicken coop...never had one tear thru in 7 years...but from what I understand northern racoons are much larger than ours here in Tn.

Back
Top Bottom