New to chickens in general... Especially building coops!

Cbetz

Chirping
Jun 6, 2015
Guntersville Alabama
I only have two chickens (8 weeks old) and do not plan on having more than 4. I looked for coops online to no avail. I couldn't find anything I felt would be big enough without being too big. Keep in mind I knew not a thing about what they needed, I just based my assumptions on customer reviews. I came across this Gorgeous little coop from williams and sanoma but could NOT find the plans anywhere! I would never spend 1500$ on a coop! This is not the exact coop, it is our close version with my personality.

My husband ( in Afghanistan) drew some rough plans for me based on the picture I sent him. I looked on some forums and read lots of opinions about the inside of the coop since my husband did not include those in the plans. It took me two weeks during my sons nap time, and Very long after he went to bed at night to complete the coop. I Do plan on doing a shutter over the hardware cloth door up top door to give them more privacy from possible predators ( I know I wouldn't like seeing something trying to get in to kill me) and warmth during the winter. I added pavers today to give them a little extra protection from diggers. The ladder is raised and locked in place during the night. Any advice is welcomed!

I'm impressed with your handy work. Good job! The grass probably isn't going to last long and it may become a hassle to move those pavers each time change locations.

Thank you! yeah I thought about that after I unloaded them and put them down. Im not sure when Ill move it. Right now they are right out side my master bath window and under a motion detection light. Those are really the only trees we have right now until we plant some. With our heat I figured a little shade would be nice

Last edited:
Looks like a super job on the construction. You must have had some prior experience. Good choice on the pocket screws, even though they are a little pricey.

Personally, I don't like having my chicks on wire floors, but some do. And I don't see a roost pole, which will be needed, all the more with wire floors.

Thank you! I actually haven't built anything aside from a bird house in the 9th grade lol . My husband has a kreg jig, There is a roost pole up, but I think it might be a little high with their current sizes. I plan on putting down some bedding on top of the wire. I read mixed reviews on putting it in, after going back and forth in my head I just went ahead and did it. I have the ability to change it if problems arise.

Back
Top Bottom